Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next team to leave
Boston 2 8.00%
Clemson 8 32.00%
Duke 2 8.00%
FSU 12 48.00%
GT 3 12.00%
Miami 3 12.00%
UNC 2 8.00%
UNC 2 8.00%
NC State 3 12.00%
UV 1 4.00%
Wake 1 4.00%
VT 4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,885,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So what makes the B1G all so powerful, a TV network ??? Why cant the ACC just get a TV station?
In order to do that... People have to actually watch their games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,018,079 times
ACC will still be around. As long as ND is still part time and the football power schools stay, it'll be fine.

If the SEC still says no to state duplicates.......Then VTech is in and I guess one of the Carolina schools.

For the B1G, I think UVA would fit, UNC could too.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
ACC will still be around. As long as ND is still part time and the football power schools stay, it'll be fine.

If the SEC still says no to state duplicates.......Then VTech is in and I guess one of the Carolina schools.

For the B1G, I think UVA would fit, UNC could too.
ND choice ACC since they could push the conference around and ensure independence. A few ACC fans believed ND would actually join the ACC oneday, but that is the exact opposite reason they kinda joined it. They realized they would never have to join it. They would have stayed in the Big East if the conference wasnt about to end, but ND saw this coming. ACC gets raided, so in turn it raids the Big East. Big East ends as a football conference. ND plays a few cupcake ACC teams and gets almost guaranteed wins, and then schedules 2 semi-tough games to show they are a serious team, and than focuses on rivalry games which brings in the money. They couldnt pursue this strategy anymore in the Big East since it is doubtful if it will even remain as a football conference so they go to the next weakest conference where they will still get eligible for a national championship, BCS title, and future playoff games. Even if the ACC gets raided really bad, they can easily replace them with Big E and lesser conference teams as mentioned earlier. If for some reason the ACC became ineligible for National Championships and Playoff games they would go to the next weakest conference and do the same thing.

ND is all about independence. Some people have speculated it may someday end, but seeing how they are doing great right now, and bring in serious money, it wont be anytime soon. If ND for some reason HAD to fully join a conference and give up independence it would not be the ACC. The ACC is just ND's ***** and a way to pad their schedule between games they actually care about.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM

2,268 posts, read 3,903,378 times
If ACC could walk away from this setback intact, then I think it should just kill the Big East, taking in Louisville, Cincinnati, UConn and Temple. That would bring it up to 17 schools and closes off the northeast to poachers. That'll keep both FSU and Clemson content for a while.

BUT ACC Commish Swofford has to also do the following:

(1) Rework current TV deals;

(2) Set up an ACC network;

(3) Dump Notre Dame;

(4) Encourage members to create a research consortium;

(5) Move the ACC tournament outside of North Carolina; and

(6) Require members to sign over grant of broadcasting rights.

Hopefully, the remaining ACC schools aren't as greedy and desperate as Maryland, although I personally think Maryland's administrator's exploited the athletic dept financial crisis to gain membership in CIC.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,753,102 times
I say Florida St. Or Clemson. Florida St. is 10-1 and are suffering at the polls because of a weak conference this year. It wouldn't shock me if they went to the Big East or SEC

Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,034,439 times
There are rumors up here in Big Ten country that UNC is being pursued by the Big Ten to follow Maryland over... As a die hard UNC fan, I absolutely HATE this idea! I hate all of this conference movement.. Take me back to the late 80s, early 90s and how it used to be.... The ACC was awesome back then.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I say Florida St. Or Clemson. Florida St. is 10-1 and are suffering at the polls because of a weak conference this year. It wouldn't shock me if they went to the Big East or SEC
Nobody is going to the Big East. They would love to go to the SEC, but this SEC doesnt want or need them.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,885,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
There are rumors up here in Big Ten country that UNC is being pursued by the Big Ten to follow Maryland over... As a die hard UNC fan, I absolutely HATE this idea! I hate all of this conference movement.. Take me back to the late 80s, early 90s and how it used to be.... The ACC was awesome back then.
Don't worry...

UNC is not going w/o Duke... And if they separated from Duke they would go to the SEC.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,869,255 times
[quote=Mr. GE;27046117]In order to do that... People have to actually watch their games. [/QUOTE

I think there is a following when it comes to ACC football, problem is that none of its teams havent won a BCS title since 2000.

The local MyNetworkTV station carries the ACC network, which is kinda surprising in the heart of SEC country.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,869,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
The SEC doesnt want FSU. FSU had its chance to be a member in the early 90's, but opted to join the ACC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football