Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next team to leave
Boston 2 8.00%
Clemson 8 32.00%
Duke 2 8.00%
FSU 12 48.00%
GT 3 12.00%
Miami 3 12.00%
UNC 2 8.00%
UNC 2 8.00%
NC State 3 12.00%
UV 1 4.00%
Wake 1 4.00%
VT 4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

I don't know how large endowments should rank it's an interesting metric but I don't know about how hard a requirement it should be.

As far as the SEC is concerned, the key thing is location and to a certain extent identity. Mizzou is a bit of a wild card there in both respects. Plus I think that the SEC's expansion criteria is overall much more football/athletics focused than the B1G's is.

Considering that, VTech is a shoo in for obvious reasons. After that, it is tricky. UVA would not join the SEC due to identity issues foremost (along with problems of keeping up I will admit). Thing is UNC is the same way. On the one hand they are a brand name in college athletics, on the other, they value their academic profile VERY highly. In that way they suit the B1G more.

However, UNC-Duke-NCST relationship I am not sure about. If the relationship is over hyped and they go all social darwin? My gut says.....UNC to B1G and then ummmmm.............Duke to Big 12 and NCST to SEC. You could switch them though, because NCST is more likely to do something in football and Duke is just a bball juggernaut.

It's still really fuzzy though.

If not UNC-UVA, then it's UVA-Cuse as far as B1G fits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
I still don't buy 16 team conferences. Look at the current SEC with 14 teams for example. Florida last played Bama in 2011. They didn't play them in 2012, won't play them next season in 2013 and the 2014 schedule is not fully complete. How can you have teams in the same conference who don't at least play each other every other year? You add two more teams into the SEC mix and you could have Florida play Bama every 4 years for example. Hard to establish new rivalries when teams in the same conference play so infrequently.

You're probably never going to see these teams play more than 8 conference games a season and that's not enough to ensure teams will play one another on a somewhat regular basis.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I still don't buy 16 team conferences. Look at the current SEC with 14 teams for example. Florida last played Bama in 2011. They didn't play them in 2012, won't play them next season in 2013 and the 2014 schedule is not fully complete. How can you have teams in the same conference who don't at least play each other every other year? You add two more teams into the SEC mix and you could have Florida play Bama every 4 years for example. Hard to establish new rivalries when teams in the same conference play so infrequently.

You're probably never going to see these teams play more than 8 conference games a season and that's not enough to ensure teams will play one another on a somewhat regular basis.
What you buy has no bearing on the current situation in the NCAA. It is about $ and the new playoff system. The conferences want to max out their viewership and markets to earn more revenue. The old college system is dead. Personally I miss the way it used to be with regional rivalries and regional conferences, but the NCAA is a business. SEC increases its revenue by grabbing VT and another Virginia or North Carolina team. Big 10 can do the same by expanding into the South. If Big 12 thinks it is profitable it will do the same.

To another poster I dont see Duke joining the Big 12 or the Big 12 wanting them.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The BCS world is about to end. Think playoff world.
ROFL. We are far off from that. Top 4 won't solve that. It still is BCS dependent. FCS has a true playoff, FBS will not have a one under new agreement. If they ever get to 8 or 16, now you can consider it one. NCAA FBS is the only sport without a true playoff to determine a true champion.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I don't know how large endowments should rank it's an interesting metric but I don't know about how hard a requirement it should be.

As far as the SEC is concerned, the key thing is location and to a certain extent identity. Mizzou is a bit of a wild card there in both respects. Plus I think that the SEC's expansion criteria is overall much more football/athletics focused than the B1G's is.

Considering that, VTech is a shoo in for obvious reasons. After that, it is tricky. UVA would not join the SEC due to identity issues foremost (along with problems of keeping up I will admit). Thing is UNC is the same way. On the one hand they are a brand name in college athletics, on the other, they value their academic profile VERY highly. In that way they suit the B1G more.

However, UNC-Duke-NCST relationship I am not sure about. If the relationship is over hyped and they go all social darwin? My gut says.....UNC to B1G and then ummmmm.............Duke to Big 12 and NCST to SEC. You could switch them though, because NCST is more likely to do something in football and Duke is just a bball juggernaut.

It's still really fuzzy though.

If not UNC-UVA, then it's UVA-Cuse as far as B1G fits
I think you are misunderstanding the context of the endowment statement I made. It is only in reference to the point that VT has way more fan support than UNC and NC State. Not that it should be a requirement for a selection into a conference.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
ROFL. We are far off from that. Top 4 won't solve that. It still is BCS dependent. FCS has a true playoff, FBS will not have a one under new agreement. If they ever get to 8 or 16, now you can consider it one. NCAA FBS is the only sport without a true playoff to determine a true champion.
Regardless BCS is about to be over. This new system is not an ideal playoff, but perhaps it will lead to one. College football is entering a new era.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What you buy has no bearing on the current situation in the NCAA. It is about $ and the new playoff system. The conferences want to max out their viewership and markets to earn more revenue. The old college system is dead. Personally I miss the way it used to be with regional rivalries and regional conferences, but the NCAA is a business. SEC increases its revenue by grabbing VT and another Virginia or North Carolina team. Big 10 can do the same by expanding into the South. If Big 12 thinks it is profitable it will do the same.

To another poster I dont see Duke joining the Big 12 or the Big 12 wanting them.
Amen to the bolded words!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Definitely... I think VT is a given and obvious choice for the SEC for both The conference and the school.

We are discussing more who will be the school that would go along with VT. Between UNC and NC State as they seem like the obvious choices. And I don't think the success matters. SC had no history of success in football when they joined. Look at them now...

Its not fans... but Endowments are a good judge of how alums support schools. UNC has $2.2B while VT and NC State are at $600M. That's a HUGE difference.
UNC would be top choice I say but ACC would have to blow up for that. Overall sports program is great and they have resources to build football.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UNC would be top choice I say but ACC would have to blow up for that. Overall sports program is great and they have resources to build football.
agreed... that's really the only way the SEC would ever take any schools from the ACC. they have a good relationship. can't see Slive hurting that unless its imminently over for the ACC.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I'm an SEC guy (Auburn) and I liked the 12 team leagues. I really thought that was ideal. You played everyone pretty often, traditional rivalries were intact, and you had enough teams for a championship game.

All this conference realignment kind of sucks and I'd like things to just stop. But, if change does have to be made, there are five ACC teams that I think would do well in the SEC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State, and Va. Tech

The first two are Clemson and FSU. Culturally, they are slam dunks. I've been to both campuses and they just "feel" like SEC schools. The problem is that they are each located in states that already have an SEC presence, and the SEC has indicated it wants to expand its geography, so they are probably out, even though IMO they are the best fits. Also there is talk of a "gentlemen's agreement" between existing SEC schools to not make offers to schools in states where current schools are located.

That leaves UNC, NC State, and Va. Tech. UNC is the biggest prize. They are a strong brand in a growing state. But they aren't a good cultural fit. The culture and feel of UNC is different, and they are IMO the "heart" of the ACC. They value academics, basketball, and their rivalry with Duke too much to leave unless the conference is dying. NC State however, would benefit greatly from a move to the SEC. They get out from under UNC's shadow and forge their own identity. Va Tech is the best cultural fit of the three. Strong football school with decent academics.

Short version: Clemson and FSU are the best fits for the SEC, but they are in states that already have SEC schools, so an offer is less likely. UNC doesn't fit well culturally. NC State and Va. Tech would be win-win for the SEC and for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football