Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,758,560 times

Advertisements

While conferences expand to 14 and, no doubt, 16 in the near future, I have to wonder:

what is the ideal conference size?

Me? I think they got it right in the recent past: 12.

to me, 12 is ideal. but only if a conference played an 11 game round robin (good by, cupcakes, from schedule) and eliminated divisions. I'm thinking of something like this to cover the nation with realignment and teams heading back to their own regions:

Big East for the northeast
ACC for the south atlantic
Big Ten for Midwest/Great Lakes
SEC for the mid south
Big 8 revival and expansion for the Great Plains
SWC revival for the southwest
MWC for the Rockies
Pac 12 for the west coast

I'd love to see such a conference play such a schedule. If the conference is won outright during the season, that team is champion. If two teams are tied at season's end, they play the championship game. If three of more teams tie, two are chosen by formula (head to head, point differential, that sort of thing).

In case of no championship game, which already would have been scheduled, a high ranking team would be invited to play the league champion in an "invitational game".

If 8 major conferences could be set up (I floated this idea before), their champs could go into an 8 team play-off starting with 4 NYD bowls.

If there could be the right amount of broadcast revenue sharing, there wouldn't be the need to "expand conference footprints" which, BtW, I think is totally screwing the game. There are just too many teams to keep the association between them meaningful, too many rivalries lost, and too much smacking of $$$$$ to make these super conferences work, at least for the fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 AM

811 posts, read 805,238 times
16 with 4 divisions of 4 teams
Use the NFL's scheduling format with a difference
Each division rival plays each other once per season and one divisions once on a rotating basis
Plus one permanent non division rival to keep rivalries intact

Example

SEC

West:
Missouri
Texas A&M
Arkansas
LSU

Central:
Ole Miss
Mississippi St
Tennessee
Kentucky

Middle:
Vanderbilt
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia

East:
Florida
South Carolina
Virginia Tech
NC State

Or two divisions of 8, 11 conference games 7 within 4 outside of division
Division winners plus two wild cards play a six team conference postseason
Then the conference winners advance to the national playoff of six

Six conferences of 16 each- 96 d1A schools

Last edited by onceahogalwaysahog; 12-01-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football