U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM

3,904 posts, read 4,890,689 times

Advertisements

This is a postseason look at why the move from the Big 12 to the SEC has proven to be the correct choice.

Texas A&M Football: 6 Reasons Aggies' Move to the SEC Was the Right Choice | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM

5,918 posts, read 6,552,644 times
How about a 7th? In the SEC, A&M IS Texas. It's the only Texas school in the best football conference in the nation and represents its whole state there. and with the SEC, it represents it in the place that counts. The Longhorns? Who seriously cares about what happens in the Big 12, a grouping that had to work hard to even stay relevant when Colo, Neb, Mizzou, and A&M jumped ship. Texas may be a big, big fish, but it is so in an exceedingly small pond. And it will have to get off of its high horse...er....steer.....if it wants to do better. The only option it really has is to join the Pac 12 with TT, OU, and OkSt coming along for the ride. But the Pac 12 is not going to give a sweetheart deal like the ACC gave ND, nor is the Pac 12 going to give Texas anything like it has in the Big 12 today; I suspect at some point, the Horns have to consider such a move and need to compromise to make it happen.

Brilliant move on the helmets: placing the traditional aTm on the outline of the state of Texas. That says it all. Good bye, Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas Christian. In the SEC, A&M is the only Texas. and it counts.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,555,413 times
I think most Aggies were upbeat about the move, but a bit uneasy. There is little doubt it has gone far better than expected and just about as good as it could be. There was no doubt about all the clear advantages of the SEC itself, but no one was sure how the football team would fare with an entirely new coaching staff. Sumlin and Manziel were just huge this year.

I can't say this with complete confidence, but I think the SEC doesn't regret for a second expanding the league with A&M (and Missouri).

Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 PM

264 posts, read 824,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think most Aggies were upbeat about the move, but a bit uneasy. There is little doubt it has gone far better than expected and just about as good as it could be. There was no doubt about all the clear advantages of the SEC itself, but no one was sure how the football team would fare with an entirely new coaching staff. Sumlin and Manziel were just huge this year.

I can't say this with complete confidence, but I think the SEC doesn't regret for a second expanding the league with A&M (and Missouri).
This

Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
I think they did it because they never could compete in the conference and the conference did it to attract more Texas players .UT wouldn't move because it makes the most money off its program in the country ;so why move.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,377,889 times
Yeah, the whole "Go where you're not" strategy worked wonders for both the SEC and A&M (and Missouri). I know lots of fans like to opine about how Florida State should be in the SEC but that ship has sailed. They'll go after states and tv markets where they don't exist to expand their geographical footprint. So maybe West Virginia is next.
So I agree, Texas A&M being the "Texas" of the SEC is very key and a big win for the school's "brand image" instead of being in a sea of others like tech, Christian, etc.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 PM

775 posts, read 652,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think they did it because they never could compete in the conference and the conference did it to attract more Texas players .UT wouldn't move because it makes the most money off its program in the country ;so why move.
or maybe they grew sick of TU's arrogance

Old 05-25-2013, 05:09 PM

8,396 posts, read 8,385,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
or maybe they grew sick of TU's arrogance
Now now lil' brother.

Y'all left too soon - shoulda hung on a while longer so's you ags coulda whipped up on my Horns in football, basketball, & baseball.

BTW - I enjoyed watching Manziel play, especially when he mudholed OU in the Cotton Bowl. He is as exciting as Vince Young was. Hope he doesn't make the same dumb choices VY did. I'd like him to repeat with the Heisman before y'all lose him to the NFL.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Now now lil' brother.

Y'all left too soon - shoulda hung on a while longer so's you ags coulda whipped up on my Horns in football, basketball, & baseball.

BTW - I enjoyed watching Manziel play, especially when he mudholed OU in the Cotton Bowl. He is as exciting as Vince Young was. Hope he doesn't make the same dumb choices VY did. I'd like him to repeat with the Heisman before y'all lose him to the NFL.
Hey now.

I know it's just not as fun without the Hissies in the Big XII. Who can Sooners/Horns join hands and make fun of now? Oh well. Maybe after a few bad years in the SEC the Ags will return to their true home.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,169,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
This is a postseason look at why the move from the Big 12 to the SEC has proven to be the correct choice.

Texas A&M Football: 6 Reasons Aggies' Move to the SEC Was the Right Choice | Bleacher Report
Most of the reasons in here are silly:

tailgating. lols.

Heisman because Manziel played in the SEC? lols. Does the Heisman go to an SEC player every year? lols.

More say in conference affairs (Does Texas get more votes than other members) lols.

AtM was smart to move because the SEC is more stable. It aint falling apart anytime soon.

All this talk of AtM taking over UT as the main player in Texas is laughable. Every time AtM has a decent year their fans say this. Then Texas shapes up and AtM goes back to it's mediocre play. Enjoy your 2-3 years of doing well. lols.

And Texas will be just fine with the Big 12 or without them. Every conference in the country would take them in a heart beat. Including the SEC.

Texas AtM fans remind me of Michigan State and Georgia fans. You think you're a top 10 program and people outside your region follow you. lols. Your large schools that do average in football and trust me, no one pays that much attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football