Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
IMO the SEC Championship game is the only one that is always a success each and every year. ACC is a joke. Pac, Big 12 and B1G 10 are decent, but the atmosphere/attendance are dependent on the matchup.

I agree the Pac-12 game should be on Saturday. I didn't even realize it was Friday until I was looking for it Saturday night. Is it always played on a Friday, or just this year?
Big 12 doesn't have one anymore. This was the 2nd Pac12 CG and both have been played on Friday. I think it's in the TV contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
I don't think it's fair to compare the other conference championship games to the SEC one... It's been around a long time and they have had more time to work out the kinks.

The Pac12 & B1G will get it figured out... But not having rabid fans or top 10 teams playing is going to limit the success anyway. The ACC might be a lost cause in it being successful.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
No. Oregon is the only school that sells out every game and has a SEC like gameday experience (minus the tailgating- however, we have a great inside beer garden that sells some great Oregon IPAs). Larry Scott also needs to move the game to Saturday and not Friday at 5 pm Pacific Time.
You know I'd love to go to a game at Autzen. When they did the College Gameday there for the Stanford game it looked cool as hell. Also that stadium is LOUD. Plus almost every Oregon girl they showed was at least 8. But seriously Autzen is on my list of stadiums I'd like to see a game in.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea... But Stanford is just not a football school. No matter how you slice it. Oregon should have been playing in that game. Maybe the divisions should be removed except for scheduling. And the top 2 teams should just play.

and does anyone in the pac12 consistently sell out besides the Oregon schools?
Even without divisions Stanford would have played in the PAC12 CG anyway because they beat them head to head. Stanford only had 1 in conference loss, their other loss was OOC to Notre Dame.

Edit: I just realized UCLA wouldn't have been playing in the game under your scenario so nevermind haha.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
I know the problem with the Big 10 championship game this year was it didn't have great teams in it. I mean an unranked Wisconsin beat #12 Nebraska 70-31. Are you kidding me?? In a conference championship game?? And Wisconsin was only in it because Ohio State and Penn State were ineligible. Both of them finished better than Wisconsin. Heck, Ohio State would be in the national championship game this year had they been eligible.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Even without divisions Stanford would have played in the PAC12 CG anyway because they beat them head to head. Stanford only had 1 in conference loss, their other loss was OOC to Notre Dame.

Edit: I just realized UCLA wouldn't have been playing in the game under your scenario so nevermind haha.
Lol... No worries.

It would have been cool to see a rematch of Oregon and Stanford.

In addition a situation like that would have prevented the all SEC Natty last year because LSU and Bama would have played their second game in the SEC title game.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're asking fans to make a trip for a conference title game and then turn around and make a trip to a bowl game. Unless the teams are within a realistic drive, say 3-6 hours, most schools aren't going to bring a ton of fans. Lincoln is a 10 hour ride to Indy. Besides, Indy is not exactly a big draw of a city for people to visit aside from sports. If it were in say Chicago, that would give fans a reason to come besides the game.
The only reason the B1G Title game would have seen a bump in attendance by being in Chicago this year is because Wisconsin is closer, which may have enticed some folks to make the short drive. The fact that the game is in Indianapolis is not a deterrent, and has nothing to do with the low attendance. Wisky finished third place in their division, and Nebraska fans were planning for a trip to the Rose Bowl. If Ohio State was in the game, the stadium would have sold out. This was just a bad match-up this year.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
best team? Stanford beat Oregon is there anything else to really talk about?

Also wasn't the Bay Area in the middle of like really bad rain that weekend? Had it not have been, it would have been sold out as Stanford has packed the house in recent years for big games before, it's not 97 people.

B1G and ACC especially are hampered I think by some people not being interested in the also rans that made it in there. ESPECIALLY in the ACC game with a middling GT team gaining entry. If North Carolina made it, it would have been MUCH better attendance. Probably nearly as succesful as the first one. Miami less so due to it's smaller size BUT FSU-Miami would provide enough juice to get a lot of Canes fans there.

Charlotte makes too much sense due to it's central location. Florida venues sucked as far as attendance goes, those hacks at Greensboro better not get cold feet after one bad year. It's central location is all too convenient for too many teams. FSU and BC are outliers BUT FSU is so massive it doesn't matter and BC is so miniscule it doesn't matter.

The B1G has a better chance of running into really lousy weather some years so it makes more sense to have it inside at the HoosierDo......oh wait.......anyways yea just give it time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football