Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the ACC lose more teams?
Probably 25 56.82%
Probably not 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 PM

5,544 posts, read 9,471,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Stop giving us all these **** teams. We don't want OK-State. Laugh if you will, SEC is trying to become more of an academic conference to compete with BIG 10 in every way possible. SECU is one example. The bigger example is the fact that TAMU and Mizzou were both academic highlights of the big-12. Both schools are AAU, both schools have huge endowments and high research expenditure. Along with the expanded geographic footprint, following and revenue potential..the deal was sealed.

OK State, on the other hand, has a freshman retention rate of 79%, a 6-year graduation rate of 62% and an average SAT of 1105. They're ranked 139 in the nation. LOL

That FRR would be the lowest in the SEC, the 6-year grad rate would place them right near the bottom. That SAT is competing with Ole Miss and Miss State..the academic laughing stocks of the SEC. The endowment is not that bad..682 mil..close to LSU, but nothing to get excited over(TAMU and Missouri have huge endowments, both with many industry and alumni benefactors). Plus, with a 23k enrollment..OK State would be one of the smaller schools in the SEC. The only good thing would be the SEC having two sun grant universities. Oklahoma is not a big enough state for the move to make sense.

Fail. With Florida, Georgia, and Vandy(Bernie Machen - Pres of UF went to Vandy) leading SEC east and TAMU and Mizzou complaining in the west..moves like FSU, Clemson, OK State, Texas Tech etc. won't happen.
>>>>>
We don't want OK-State. Laugh if you will, SEC is trying to become more of an academic conference to compete with BIG 10 in every way possible.
<<<<<

For the record, I (nor any other Big XII fans) do not want to give Okie State away. Because of poor Big XII Leadership A&M has already been lured away from it's proper home-base. You can have Mizzou....nobody over here in the Southwest gives a rip.

There's nothing to laugh at, but the SEC will never come close to the B1G's academic cache. That's not a slam, just a fact. As much as the SEC would like to improve its uneducated mantra (which anyone with any sense knows is not true), it will never surpass the B1G or the PAC, or the ACC in academic prowess/perception.

If you think A&M/Mizzwho were added for academics (notwithstanding a nice benefit, to be sure) then you're smoking crack. A&M/Mizzwho were added because OU/Tejas said no and both the Hissies and Miz added valuable TV revenue. It's about cash.

I think with the type of up-coming program that Okie State represents, it would be a semi-decent consolation prize for Slive/SEC for striking out on the University of Oklahoma. Also, maybe we'd get to see Oklahoma State roll LSU like they should have had the chance to two years ago when Bammer went to the title game even after already losing to the Bayou Cats.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
We don't want OK-State. Laugh if you will, SEC is trying to become more of an academic conference to compete with BIG 10 in every way possible.
<<<<<

For the record, I (nor any other Big XII fans) do not want to give Okie State away. Because of poor Big XII Leadership A&M has already been lured away from it's proper home-base. You can have Mizzou....nobody over here in the Southwest gives a rip.

There's nothing to laugh at, but the SEC will never come close to the B1G's academic cache. That's not a slam, just a fact. As much as the SEC would like to improve its uneducated mantra (which anyone with any sense knows is not true), it will never surpass the B1G or the PAC, or the ACC in academic prowess/perception.

If you think A&M/Mizzwho were added for academics (notwithstanding a nice benefit, to be sure) then you're smoking crack. A&M/Mizzwho were added because OU/Tejas said no and both the Hissies and Miz added valuable TV revenue. It's about cash.

I think with the type of up-coming program that Okie State represents, it would be a semi-decent consolation prize for Slive/SEC for striking out on the University of Oklahoma. Also, maybe we'd get to see Oklahoma State roll LSU like they should have had the chance to two years ago when Bammer went to the title game even after already losing to the Bayou Cats.
Well if the SEC takes two AAU schools from another conference the balance could shift quite quickly. At this point the SEC is not taking a school like OSU. It just doesn't offer much athletically or academically. It would be better to hold off for a big school.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,657,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well if the SEC takes two AAU schools from another conference the balance could shift quite quickly. At this point the SEC is not taking a school like OSU. It just doesn't offer much athletically or academically. It would be better to hold off for a big school.
Nor does it financially. I know the SEC is never going to match pac, acc or BIG in academics. We're still way ahead of BIG 12. The only universities in the big 12 that count are Texas, OU and Baylor.

We'll add more AAU schools if we expand - UNC or Duke hopefully. Plus, UGA is going to become AAU in the next 3 years. The only reason UGA isn't AAU is because it didn't have a College of Engineering literally due to the formation of Georgia Tech...that and UGA didn't have a stand alone medical school...both of which they have now. UGA still spends about 350 mil in research every year WITHOUT engineering and medical research(two biggest portions). For comparison, Emory University has about a 400 mil research expenditure. UGA has set out on their 1 bln capital campaign earlier this year, and I hear it's well underway. Now that Mike Adams is stepping down..UGA can become a top university under Jere Morehead. The endowment and rankings will increase this year. UGA is also doing a lot to change the lifestyle of campus. They want to move lower down the list of party schools. They've moved several frat houses off campus, scheduling more MWF classes than T/TH classes, cracking down on underage drinking etc.

This year they posted the most selective student body yet. It was Mike Adams and UGA that initiated SECU btw.

As AAU Admits Georgia Tech to Its Exclusive Club, Other Universities Await the Call - Finance - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I don't have specs, but I know Florida is doing a lot to become a top 10. Bernie has said that explicitly many times. Tennessee also has a good shot at becoming a better school. They're sun grant. Really, it's just the state of Mississippi that give the SEC a bad name. Every other school is fairly well regarded in academia and in industry..save maybe Auburn. Bama's law school is ranked 21 in the nation. LSU is also stepping up their game.

But back to the point, SEC doesn't want schools like OK State. We'll gladly take Texas though. Actually, if we can take Texas and any NC school then I'd be happy with our conference.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
I think VT would be SEC first, and then Big XII in some sort of eastern division second. The B1G is obviously a great conference, but VT doesn't fit into the midwestern mold.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,903,378 times
The Big Ten is doing a good job pushing away Notre Dame and into the waiting arms of the ACC:

APNewsBreak: Ohio State president jabs Notre Dame, Roman Catholics, SEC in recorded remarks - The Washington Post

Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,657,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think VT would be SEC first, and then Big XII in some sort of eastern division second. The B1G is obviously a great conference, but VT doesn't fit into the midwestern mold.
VT does a lot of research with us. UGA's new engineering dean was a VP and former associate dean from VT. I wouldn't mind VT in SEC, but we would need some North Carolina teams to connect the dots. I wouldn't mind VT. 93% freshman retention rate. 83% 6-year graduation rate. 20k undergraduate applications in 2012. Average 1215 SAT(CR+Math). 74% had a high school GPA of 3.75+. 600 million endowment. Good market. Decent ball. Nice following. New state.

Send Missouri to SEC West where they belong. We'll take VT.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM

After the GoR, the ACC may be feeling a bit better than when this article was written.....but still, $4 for the conference championship tickets?! It really is basketball country over there.

Y! SPORTS

Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,786,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
After the GoR, the ACC may be feeling a bit better than when this article was written.....but still, $4 for the conference championship tickets?! It really is basketball country over there.

Y! SPORTS
You have BCS bowl games that don't sellout on a regular basis. Aside from the Rose Bowl (sans 2003) and the title game, the other 2 bowls do not sellout. You have had thousands of empty seats at the Orange and Sugar Bowls the last few years. Same goes with the Fiesta Bowl.

I wouldn't use the above article as an indication of fan interest in ACC football. If Clemson and V Tech were playing they would have sold over 60,000 tickets to the game.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You have BCS bowl games that don't sellout on a regular basis. Aside from the Rose Bowl (sans 2003) and the title game, the other 2 bowls do not sellout. You have had thousands of empty seats at the Orange and Sugar Bowls the last few years. Same goes with the Fiesta Bowl.

I wouldn't use the above article as an indication of fan interest in ACC football. If Clemson and V Tech were playing they would have sold over 60,000 tickets to the game.
Agreed.

The main thing that the ACC has going against it (which is somewhat demonstrated in the article) is that it will always be considered a basketball-centric conference. Football brings in the dough so until the ACC can remove that tarnish from its football pedigree it's going to be a bit behind the other 4 Big Dog Football Conferences.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM

18,194 posts, read 25,763,135 times
I know it's not easy sometimes talking about college football without getting involved in the debate on the education, enrollment, the financial situation etc., of the universities. We have an education forum for that. Let's talk college ball on the college football forum. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.