U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:21 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,632,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Oh here we go now. Even though they are a Division 1-AA school, they do have a very good football team. They have won like 3 National Championships in a row or something like that. So I really wouldn't consider them a cake walk.
It was a great game and Michigan took them entirely too lightly. It was the game that catapaulted Rich Rodriguez to replace Lloyd Carr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,955,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Hey Adrian, 90 mins from South Bend to downtown? Maybe in the middle of the night, or on Sunday. It takes longer than that, but yes it isn't in the middle of nowhere either.
Really? We lived in Niles (just across the state line from South Bend, for those who don't know the area), and we'd jump on the Toll Road and be to Chicago in 90 minutes, no kidding. The only time that ever changed for us was during rush hour.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,955,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Wouldn't it be hysterical if they let ND join the big 10 for football only???? It would never happen, but it would be funny. With Cincinnati, DePaul and Marquette in the big east ... no no no no no!!!! Not the big east dang it!!! The Big 10 is where they belong. I'd love to see OSU on the schedule on a regular basis and at least ND would be able to keep those 2 michigan schools and Purdon't on their schedule. I just don't see a big whoop-dee do when ND plays Marquette ... do they even play football? I don't think DePaul puts a team on the field do they???
It really would be weird to see ND football in the Big East, I admit! The Big Ten would be a better fit.

When I worked at ND, the administration put out a letter to the media saying that ND football had no intention of joining the Big Ten. There was a lot of talk about joining at the time (late '90s-early '00s). Nobody from the Big Ten had made an offer, so it was kind of strange that the letter was going out at all. It was totally pre-emptive ... kind of like an "if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve" letter to the Big Ten.

I wonder if the attitude has changed at all since then. I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing ND play Michigan, MSU, and OSU every year as part of a conference schedule.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,632,803 times
I remember my husband getting that letter and it stating that the alumni are all in agreement. I remember him saying that nobody asked him. I also polled some of my domer buddies at work and none of them were consulted either. I was really hoping for some wholesale change once Monk left. Thought Fr. Jenkins would take the leprechaun by the shellaleigh, so to speak, but alas, I don't think anything will change unless that NBC contract isn't renewed. Then you'll see ND scrambling to get into a conference and they'll all say "Notre who"?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,659,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Really? We lived in Niles (just across the state line from South Bend, for those who don't know the area), and we'd jump on the Toll Road and be to Chicago in 90 minutes, no kidding. The only time that ever changed for us was during rush hour.
Well I know that 95th to the circle on the Ryan could easily take an hour alone. Not to mention 80/94. I guess the toll road on the Skyway could shorten that, but ya it would have to be not during rush hour, which was pretty much all the time before I left, and I'm sure it hasn't gotten much better.

If you left South Bend, why would you ever want to go back? Just Kidding.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM

32,391 posts, read 59,880,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
That, the academic excellence, the Catholic character, and the deep traditions are all things that keep kids coming to Notre Dame from all over the world. [snip] I hope ND doesn't ever decide to water down its academic standards for student-athletes. That's one of the things that sets ND apart.
Nice post. It's a university, not an athlete mill.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,532,312 times
This has some good answers to your questions- discussions of Notre Dame and the media hype

http://www.city-data.com/forum/footb...ame-media.html

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
God forbid a school have academic standards and require their athletes to get a good education. 99% of NCAA athletes do not go pro in sports.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM

2,013 posts, read 2,014,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think it is. They have very high academic standards and strict rules. Not to mention they are located in South Bend, Indiana. It isn't exactly Ann Arbor. Does anyone else believe Notre Dame is forever going to be an also-ran due to the fact that your average recruit doesn't want to have to abide by so many rules? Let's be honest. We know many college football programs let their kids get away with taking "History of Nipplegate; How Justin Timberlake Affected the Media" and "Algebra for Toddlers". Notre Dame doesn't. Oh, and it snows 4 feet a week in the winter. Hmm, sunny Miami or Indiana....Any other thoughts?
What's changed? They've always had high academic standards and lousy weather. They just need a good coach.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,677 times
How is it impossible for them to continue as independents when they have so much money? Penn State seems to always have had big bucks but moved to the Big 10 for even bigger bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football