U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which option do you prefer?
8 conferences, 12 teams each for total of 96 6 85.71%
4 conferences, 16 teams each for total of 64 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM

5,869 posts, read 6,531,601 times

Advertisements

College football has moved from a model of 12 team leagues (generally speaking) in a number of regions in the nation to a consolidation into what appears to be 16 team conferences, 4 of them, arguably with their 4 champions going into post-season championship play.

There are obviously countless set ups you could have in major conferences, but I'm going to go with these two to set up a competition as to which one you think is best. and, more importantly, why.

and, i'll be honest that both my plans generally ignore most mid-majors which may be a good disucssion for another thread: do mid-majors belong with BCS schools in a play-off?

so hopefully you will forgive me for putting some parameters on what the two set ups may be. I've taken the liberty to establish these as...

OPTION 1: 12 TEAM CONFERENCES
THE MORE TRADITIONAL AND REGIONAL SET UP, MORE SCHOOLS

My parameters: 8 conferences, 12 teams each (96 total), serving 8 regions of the nation with a mix of existing and possibly new conferences (northeast, south atlantic, mid south, midwest, great plains, Texas-SW, Rockies, Pacific). so in this set up, conferences stay closer to traditional bases. 11 game round robin schedule played in each conference; conference championship game only if there is a season's end tie. 4 major bowls become first round of 8 team play-off.

OPTION 2: 16 TEAM CONFERENCES
MORE EXPANDED FOOTPRINT, FEWER SCHOOLS

Paradmeters here: 4 conferences, 16 teams each, total 64. Each conference has two divisions which will meet in a championship game. 11 conference games (like above) with 7 round robin in division and 4 of 8 teams in opposite division. 4 winners go into 4 team play off.

again: mid-majors are getting cheated here, but I'm saving that topic for another thread.

i'm just wondering what you guys see as the better set up for the fan and for all concerned. and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
I would vote for the 8 conferences of 12 except that ship has sailed...

So 4 conferences with 16 should be the only D-I in football. Or be a semi-pro league.

The remaining should just go play I-AA.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times
Obviously, option 1 would be more fair to most fans. Even with a wide berth of 64 schools, a fair number run the risk of being shut out only because they didn't play big time ball in the stone ages before "media markets" and all this crap mattered.

But the conferences are too greedy (not saying bad or good, but its the truth) to give slots to poor sisters, even if they COULD be built up.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,344,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I would vote for the 8 conferences of 12 except that ship has sailed...

So 4 conferences with 16 should be the only D-I in football. Or be a semi-pro league.

The remaining should just go play I-AA.
Let's get you a drink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football