Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM

203 posts, read 326,452 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have called for an 8-team playoff, and many including Texas AD DeLoss Dodd, think the upcoming 4-team system is a stepping stone to that 8-team playoff.

There have been all sorts of discussions about how a real playoff system and conference realignment affect each other, but now that conference realignment has mostly settled down, and the 4-team system is figured out, it is worth looking at what the next thing will be to upset the system. Will it be situations with the "5th team" left out of the playoff? Will there be a push to expand the playoff for more money? Will football's mid-major conferences play a role?

Also I'm wondering about what everyone's perfect 8-team play system looks like and how it works. Or even if you think that is better or worse than a 4-team system. How long do you think the 4-team system will last?

For the cases like AD Dodd, Texas, and the Big12 Im wondering this: if everyone decides to go to 8-team with the most common idea for seeding (5 automatic spots for the power conferences, 3 at large), but the power conference must all have 14 teams, does the Big12 opt out of the automatic bid for more money? Or would they add 4 lesser-teams to the conference to get that bid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
To heck with all this automatic bid business. Take the top 8 teams and be done with it.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
To heck with all this automatic bid business. Take the top 8 teams and be done with it.
I agree and I'd even say to go to 12 teams with the top 4 teams having a bye.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:34 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Haven't even started the 4 team deal and people are already calling for 8? lols.

This aint the pros. The difference from the top 2-3 teams to number 8 is enormous. Numbers 5-8 have virtually no chance in a playoff setting against the top teams. This aint basketball where a higher seeded team has a decent chance.

No reason to go past 4.

Though it probably will go to 8 eventually.

And they need to play 2 weeks after the regular season. And change the time when coaches switch schools. Until then any playoff/bowl game is nothing more than an exhibition.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The difference from the top 2-3 teams to number 8 is enormous. Numbers 5-8 have virtually no chance in a playoff setting against the top teams. This aint basketball where a higher seeded team has a decent chance.

No reason to go past 4.
Last year, a top 8 playoff system would have given us:

1 Notre Dame vs 8 LSU

2 Alabama vs. 7 Georgia

3 Florida vs 6 Stanford

4 Oregon vs 5 K State

I think three of the four could easily be one by the 5-8. We'll never know though.........

Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Last year, a top 8 playoff system would have given us:

1 Notre Dame vs 8 LSU

2 Alabama vs. 7 Georgia

3 Florida vs 6 Stanford

4 Oregon vs 5 K State

I think three of the four could easily be one by the 5-8. We'll never know though.........
Considering the Ducks pasted K-State, I would assume you meant 6-8 could have won. I agree LSU and Stanford would easily have won.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Considering the Ducks pasted K-State, I would assume you meant 6-8 could have won. I agree LSU and Stanford would easily have won.
No need for Duck fan to get his panties in a bunch.

I said 3 of the 4, people are perfectly capable of reading the post and drawing whatever conclusion they choose.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 05-31-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
No need for Duck fan to get his panties in a bunch.

I said 3 of the 4, people are perfectly capable of reading the post and drawing whatever conclusion they choose.
Shoot, after the opening 100 meter dash, er, I mean kickoff, it was a forgone conclusion- no need to draw them. Hey, I'm just having fun. I do think Stanford and LSU would have rolled in those match-ups though.

Last edited by Acuda; 06-01-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
I would love, absolutely love, an 8 team play off, but under one condition.......pull back in the insanity of super conferences and go back to regionally based leagues, eight of them, each which its champion automatically going into a play off (sorry ND, if you want to play, you have to join a conference. You gotta pay to play).

I'd love to see 12 teams in each conference and, if possible, an 11 game round robin. Existing conferences could easily make this happen, but they would have to shed their newer schools and go back to something akin to their original footprints.

And make the first round of play-offs the New Years bowls with traditional set ups....like Big Ten vs. Pac 12 in the Rose.

The whole country could be covered:

northeast( Big East)
southeast (ACC)
south (SEC)
midwest (Big Ten)
great plains (revived Big 8)
southwest (revived SWC)
rockies (MWC)
west coast (Pac 12)

What might that look like?

BIG EAST: Pitt, Penn State, Temple, Rutgers, Navy, Army, Syracuse, UMass, UConn, BC, WV, Buffalo

ACC: Miami, FSU, Wake, UNC, NCSU, Duke, UVa, VT, Maryland, UCF, Clemson, SoCar (I'm returning SoCar to conference to be with Clemson again)

SEC: LSU, Tulane, Ole Miss, Miss State, Bama, Auburn, Fla, UGa, GT, Tenn, Vandy, Ky (again.....Ga and GT are reunited and this was at one time the 12 team SEC)

Big Ten: Minn, Iowa, Wis, N'western, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, MSU, Mich, OSU, Cincy

Big Eight: Louisville, Memphis, Mizzou, Ia St, Neb, KU, K-State, OU, OK St, Tulsa, Col, Col St

SWC: TT, SMU, TCU, Baylor, A&M, Tex, Rice, Hou, Ark, UNM, NMSU, FAU, So Miss (I needed a slot somewhere for FAU)

MWC: Hawaii, Ida, Boise, Montana, Wyoming, AF, Utah, USU, BYU, Nev, UNLV, SJSU

Pac 12: WSU, Wash, Ore St, Ore, Cal, Stanford, Fresno, UCLA, USC, SDSU, Ariz, ASU

Last edited by edsg25; 06-02-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
^
+1

edsg25, not sure the ACC and SEC would take back South Carolina and GTech, respectively. I wouldn't mind returning those schools to the old Metro Conference with FSU, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Tulane and South Florida. I'd also toss in Central Florida and East Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football