U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM

158 posts, read 520,793 times

Advertisements

I am a huge supporter of college football getting a playoff. I have 3 different suggestions for how they can do it:

Idea 1: You have a 16 team playoff that includes all 11 conference champions plus 5 at-large teams.

Idea 2: You have an 8 team playoff. Any undefeated team gets an automatic bid, regardless of what they are ranked or what conference they are in. A selection committee chooses the rest of the at-large teams and how they are matched up in the brackets. The 4 first round games would be the rose, fiesta, sugar, and orange bowl. The 2 semi-final games get played in Vegas, and the national championship gets rotated every year between Pasadena, Glendale, New Orleans, and Miami.

Idea 3: You split up the BCS conferences and the Mid Major conferences into 2 seperate divisions. Each division has an 8 team playoff with all 6 conference champions and 2 at-large teams. Then you have both a BCS champion and a Mid Major champion.

Do any of these ideas sound good to anybody. I think all 3 of them are better then the current system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,430,878 times
I'd go with number 1, but really, just about any playoff system would be fine with me because currently the system is broken. Yet year after year everyone just goes along with the same BS BCS.

I know the whole strength of schedule thing is important in a way, but if you can't win your conference, you certainly shouldn't whine for not getting to play in the championship, so thats why I like the first option.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
I made up an idea like #3. As a matter of fact, I even posted on here once.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,815,479 times
I've come up with an idea similar to number 1, but each of the current BCS conference teams sends 2 teams, and then there are 4 at large spots for the independents and mid-major conferences, OR simply 12 spots for BCS teams, 4 spots for non-BCS teams.

You would try to eliminate out of conference games with this proposal, and shorten the season to total to 10 games (this may require some slight realignments to enable teams to play 10 conference games).

You then have two tiers of bowl games. So even if you don't make the playoffs, you may still be eligible for one of the lesser bowl games. You can either incorporate the larger bowl games into the playoff system (so the Gator Bowl would be played, say, in the elite 8), or else teams that lose in the playoff go on to play in a bowl game determined by when they are eliminated from the playoffs. I like the former idea better than the latter.

The goals are thus:

1. Enact a playoff system with enough teams to make it interesting, to give deserving teams a shot, and to get rid of the speculation that comes with the current poll system.

2. Also keep the bowl tradition intact, meaning we keep it at 32 games (perhaps less, but certainly no more).

3. Make it so teams do not play more than 14 games, but no less than 10 or so.

4. Stop the scheduling debate, especially in regards to those weak and pointless out of conference games.

---

Thoughts?

Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,641,012 times
I'm not saying this will happen. But given the complexity of the college game, I think a good way to do this would be:

1. Force all the conferences to have 12 teams, and a conference championship, or they can't participate.

2. Start the bowl season earlier in the year.

3. Have an eight-team playoff, determined by the BCS (or similar formula) with the games rotating between bowl sites with the highest payouts:
Quarterfinals:
Orange Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Peach Bowl

Semis:
Sugar Bowl
Rose Bowl

National Championship game

4. Have all the bowl-eligible, non-playoff teams play remaining bowls before the playoffs.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:08 AM

27 posts, read 70,623 times
Default college playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'm not saying this will happen. But given the complexity of the college game, I think a good way to do this would be:

1. Force all the conferences to have 12 teams, and a conference championship, or they can't participate.

2. Start the bowl season earlier in the year.

3. Have an eight-team playoff, determined by the BCS (or similar formula) with the games rotating between bowl sites with the highest payouts:
Quarterfinals:
Orange Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Peach Bowl

Semis:
Sugar Bowl
Rose Bowl

National Championship game

4. Have all the bowl-eligible, non-playoff teams play remaining bowls before the playoffs.
I agree with all of your points except the first, although I kind of agree with it. I don't know who the PAC 10 could add to get 12, so maybe the best approach is to just scrap the conference championship games altogether, which I believe a majority of the coaches want to do anyway. A conference with a champ. game, like the Big 12 or SEC, could come up with a formula for determining the champion or just declare the division winners co-champions. An implication of this is that a conference champion or co-champion may not necessarily be chosen for the playoffs, which is fine by me because the main idea is to select the best 8 teams in the country.

The four quarterfinal games could be played in two days, starting around Dec. 20th. This would give the student- athletes time to study, take their finals and rest their bodies before the playoffs. The semis could be played on New Years Day, with the final played a week or so after that. I don't see any problem with scheduling the non-playoff bowl games between the quarterfinals and semifinals. A couple could be scheduled after New Years as well.

The playoff system is not perfect, but it's better than what we have now. It would give us 7 post-season games with direct national title implications instead of one.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,888,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinese View Post
I agree with all of your points except the first, although I kind of agree with it. I don't know who the PAC 10 could add to get 12
Not really a problem..... Utah, Boise State, Fresno State all have programs that would probably run lower-middle of the pack in the PAC-10...... Utah and Fresno State have the added bonus of having or had decent basketball programs as well.....

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM

158 posts, read 520,793 times
Maybe you could add Hawaii and Nevada to the Pac 10.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM

828 posts, read 2,893,820 times
How about this...
Top 12 ranked teams make the playoff round.
Teams ranked 1 thru 4 get a first round bye.
5 plays 12
6 plays 11
7 plays 10
8 plays 9
The four winning teams play the four "bye" teams.
Then there are quarterfinals, semifinals and the championship game.

It (the playoff system) will never happen, unless the NCAA gods can find another way to bring in tractor trailer loads of money.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,602 times
How about the two highest rank teams play and the third place team gets to beat up on Notre Dame...it has seemed to work for last two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or