U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times

Advertisements

Since this thread was so much last year; Early predictions. BCS National Champion 2012 season. Lets do it again!

Who plays? Who wins? We'll revisit in December/January. Don't be coming with your "picks" after week one.

I'm going with Stanford over LSU.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,085,133 times
Bama. Doesn't matter who plays them, they can't be stopped (and I say this as a non-Alabama/non-SEC fan)

I just hope Ohio State isn't the one that has to be the sacrificial lamb this year. The Buckeyes get enough crap (completely justified) for losing to Florida and LSU (and for kickstarting the SEC's dominance over everyone else).

Let Oregon, Stanford or hell, even another SEC team get embarrassed on national television just so long as its not Ohio State.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
There are so many variables this season compared to last year. I picked either UGA or Alabama to play Oregon and that almost happened. It was easier to pick winners, but not so much this year.

I'd like to pick Oregon but it will be interesting to see how they respond to the new coach. Will he try to implement the Kelly system or will he try his own hand at innovation. My gut tells me that Stanford ended the year as the best team in the PAC, and I still feel that's true now, but just like last year, one upset and the wheels come off.

One thing we can say with probably 60 percent confidence: a 1-loss SEC team will play for the championship. So the question that needs to be asked is, which SEC team will get through the season with just a single loss. That's tough, but it may not happen this year. Alabama probably has the best shot at it, and I'd say that the SEC West is particularly week compared to previous years. Maybe A&M challenges Alabama and somehow sneaks in the title hunt. Or maybe this is the year when the SEC ends up with nothing but 2-loss teams. I think Alabama or A&M goes into the conference title game and gets stunned by the SEC East.

Assuming this BCS madness scenario happens, then I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Stanford against Ohio State. I'll pick Stanford for the hell of it. Nerds win the title. You heard it here first, folks.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:20 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'll pick Stanford for the hell of it. Nerds win the title. You heard it here first, folks.
Read the OP. I thought I was going against the grain a bit. I guess not.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
Bama over Ohio St.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,215 times
The real question this year is who will Bama play in the SEC title game? Have you all seen their schedule? They will definitely play in the SEC title game...

The SEC title game will again be the defacto semi-final... Look for the usual players: Georgia, Florida, or South Carolina. My money is on UGA... Although I would like to see UF get a shot, especially if Ohio State is looming in the Natty. It would be nice if the football Gods gave us UF vs Ohio State in the Natty!!! But it's not happening...

Bama beats UGA... In the SEC title game AGAIN. Lame I know... But that's what will happen.

Now lets get to the fun stuff... Who does Bama play?

Let's start with the obvious... Ohio State. They have a ton of talent coming back and they are coming off an undefeated season. The problem is that though... It's hard to have two undefeated seasons in a row. Luckily for them they won't have to go undefeated because they will be in the top 5 all year due to hype.

Next choice is Stanford/Oregon... I put these two together because they basically have the same weak schedule and only need to worry about each other. Stanford has the nod because of coaching though. the problem will be the PAC's overall weakness. I find it being too difficult for either team to get ranked higher than Ohio State at the end of the year... Stanford and Oregon will nullify each other. Neither is in the Natty.

Louisville has a legitimate shot to go undefeated... but they need help. They need 2 losses essentially from the SEC champ, Stanford, Oregon, or Ohio State. Because if any of those have 1 loss... They get in before the Cards even if undefeated. So Those chances are slim to none... Bridgewater will be a a lottery pick in the draft though.

The two ACC powers have a shot... Clemson and FSU. Clemson having the better chance because of their QB. Their problem coincidently is FSU's strength, Defense. I expect both of these teams to have a great season. And if Clemson beats Georgia out of the gate... they will be in the driver seat for playing Bama in the title game. Their problem will be the looming South Carolina game at the end of the year though.

So who will it be... Bama vs Ohio State. And as always Bama will win.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,916,968 times
No SEC team this year.

The 'Ville against The Ohio State. Ohio State wins it all, biatches!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,366,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Bama over Ohio St.
Agreed.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,085,133 times
There is no way an SEC team is going to be denied an MNC appearance.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:06 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,242,811 times
Iowa 19
SMU 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football