Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised. I searched 3 pages and couldn't find a thread devoted to the Nits. So I decided to start one.
I'm not a die-hard fan - but I bet that there are several here who are. I'm hoping that you are the ones who will provide the intelligent conversation to this thread.
I know that they did alot better last year than was expected. Hopefully, they will continue to improve, even with all of the restrictions against them. The college football season will begin soon.

What do you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I'm surprised. I searched 3 pages and couldn't find a thread devoted to the Nits. So I decided to start one.
I'm not a die-hard fan - but I bet that there are several here who are. I'm hoping that you are the ones who will provide the intelligent conversation to this thread.
I know that they did alot better last year than was expected. Hopefully, they will continue to improve, even with all of the restrictions against them. The college football season will begin soon.

What do you expect?
I've added "Official Team Thread" to the thread title. For the record, there are still a number of college football teams with no team threads on the board. New threads are always welcome. And for the record, there is a "sticky" at the top of the thread page that explains what the team threads are about.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-27-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
I post in this thread with a lot of misgivings; I graduated from PSU a long time ago (1971), made a lot of Homecomings, but attended only a hanful of games. But I come from a community (Berwick) where football is venerated; PSU Alum and member of the famous '46 Cotton Bowl team taught me Civics (citizenship) in the ninth grade.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...0983192&df=all&

I took a lot of satisfaction in the two National Champoinships actually awarded during the Paterno era, and the two, or possibly more, than should have been. Few people took more pride than I did in Pen State's move into the Big Ten, where it should have gone a lot sooner.

But it will be virtually impossible to follow PSU football without some referece to that crippling scandal, and to the vicious sniping in the days which immediately followed. Jerry Sandusky will likely take many of the unansweredquestions to his grave. It's also quite clear that there is bad blood between the Paternos and some members of the Board of Trustees, which might be a reason for the family's relative silence; that, and the fact that three of the biggest players have yet to answer before the bar of justice.

As with baseball's Black Sox scandal, the repercussions of that terrible fall of 2011 will likely be felt long after all of us here have departed. I am aware that the moderator seemed eager to close the prevous threads on wrongdoing at PSU, but might I respectfully suggest that a new thread be separated into two -- one dealing with the Penn State program on a day-to-day basis, and a second for a respectful discussion as more light is shed on this very dark story.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 AM

This thread is about the present football team as it tries to get past the horrible events that have happened. The current players are NOT responsible for that - and neither are their fans.

I don't know their schedule but their first game must be pretty soon.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
Anyone watch the Penn State Training Days special last night on ESPN?

I just end up liking Bill Obrien more and more and more....

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM

psurangers - I didn't see that show. Why is O'Brien so special?

Do you know when their first game is?

I HOPE that there are many more fans.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
John.... O'Brien was well-liked since day one because he had the BALLS to take the job... and he's doing a darn good job too so far. Not sure too many coaches would have been able to handle the situation PSU was in last year and the fact that most of his players stayed when they could have transferred shows something.

Their first game is next Saturday against Syracuse and the game is actually being played at Met-Life Stadium.... Syracuse is technically the home team but I have to imagine it'll be 90% PSU fans so it's technically an extra home game for us.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 PM

I know that it took alot of guts to take the job and then do fairly well in his first year. If he succeeds, he will be a TRUE Pennsylvania sports hero.

So you have a week and a half to wait yet.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
PSU has a couple of young guys competing for the quarterback position. I hope I'm surprised, but I only expect a so - so season from them.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 AM

Can anyone expect more than a so-so season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football