U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,151,746 times

Advertisements

For whatever it is worth, I am a fan of (or at least, casually follow) the following schools in college football:

Division I-A: Temple
Division I-AA: Lehigh, Lafayette, Penn, Villanova
Division II: Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, Indiana (i.e. IUP)
Division III: Muhlenberg, Moravian, Juniata

Generally speaking, the higher the classification level, the closer I follow the teams listed.

*With Temple, I always try to get to one of their games per season, and barring something very unusual will attend all of their games played in/near DC. (Temple has played four games in/near the DC area since 2008, and I've attended all four of those games.) I will also watch many (though not all) of Temple's televised games.

*With the Division I-AA teams, I may or may not see them in person every season, but I will try to get to their games in/near DC (such as Lafayette/Georgetown and Villanova/Towson this year). I will also watch some of their TV games if I don't have other Saturday plans (or am not attending a game in person).

*With the Division II teams, I almost never see them in person, but may try to go to one of their games if they played nearby, especially if it was a playoff game (except in situations where that game would conflict with one of the must-see "higher level" schools' games; an example would be one of the Division II schools playing a first round playoff game at say Bowie State or Shepherd on the same day as say the Lehigh/Lafayette game I can watch on TV). If I were to attend a non-playoff game outside the DC area, it pretty much would need to be matchup between two of the three schools listed.

*With the Division III teams, I never see them in person and probably would only watch them in person if they were in the Division III playoffs and playing a team in or very close to DC. (The one exception would be a Moravian/Muhlenberg matchup, which is a game I have interest in seeing in person at some point.) I don't have interest in seeing them play in person in the regular season even against schools located near DC (such as when all three of the schools listed above play at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore).

Incidentally, in college basketball I only follow Division I schools. However, the Philadelphia Big Five/City Six schools that don't have football programs (i.e. St. Joseph's, La Salle, and Drexel) would join the other Division I (i.e. I-A and I-AA) schools listed above. I always try to see each of those teams I follow in person once per year (preferably in the DC area if possible).

One final thought - I went to a Division III school as an undergraduate and a Division II school as a graduate student. (If you are familiar with Pennsylvania geography, you can probably figure out which schools they were from my listing above.) I attended or watched many football games during my time at both schools. Many people tend to lump Division II and Division III football together, but my observation is that the quality of play in Division II is much higher than it is in Division III. (Of course, this makes sense because Division II schools offer some athletic scholarships while Division III schools offer no athletic scholarships.)

Last edited by CHIP72; 08-28-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,192,181 times
CHIP - If there are more fans like you on this site, this thread will be a success.
As I told you earlier, Bath and Whitehall - right across the Cementon Bridge - are practically connected.

Temple travels to play Notre Dame on Saturday. I HOPE that they can, at least, keep it close. If they can somehow beat them, that would be a major victory.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Villanova lost to Boston College 24-14.
Temple was losing to Notre Dame but they are 30 point underdogs.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Notre Dame 28 - Temple 6

Old 09-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Temple was really hurt by their kicker and shoddy secondary play against Notre Dame. I was encouraged by what they did offensively, particularly new QB Connor Reilly, but they need to do better in the red zone. All in all, the Owls were respectable, especially after the disastrous first 5 minutes.

Villanova didn't do enough in the 1st half when they had Boston College on the ropes. I was very disappointed by how the Wildcats were dominated in the 2nd half. I also was disappointed by QB John Robertson's erratic play; I thought a year of experience would have improved his passing but it did not.

Incidentally, the difference in the quality of the announcers in the two games mentioned above was like night and day. Dan Hicks and Mike Mayock are a good announcing team, with Mayock in particular standing out as a strong color analyst. (Mind you, I already knew that Mayock was pretty good from watching NFL Network and the NFL wild-card round games the last few years.) By contrast, the announcers for the Villanova/BC game were so mediocre and biased in favor of BC it was ridiculous.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 AM

Where did you watch the Villanova game?

Temple were 30 point underdogs so

Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 AM

they kept it somewhat respectable.

The regular season starts next weekend for most of the PA schools.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Where did you watch the Villanova game?

Temple were 30 point underdogs so
The Villanova/BC game was on ESPN News.

Temple was more competitive against Notre Dame than a 30 point underdog. Both teams should have scored more; a more indicative score would have been 41-17 or something like that.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 PM

This thread is for the fans of all of the football programs in eastern Pennsylvania. To the best of my ability, here are those teams - in no particular order.

Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference - East Division
Bloomsburg Huskies, Cheyney Wolves, East Stroudsburg Warriors, Kutztown Golden Bears, Lock Haven Bald Eagles, Millersville Marauders, Shippensburg Red Raiders, West Chester Golden Rams.

Mid-Atlantic Conference
Albright Lions, Delaware Valley Aggies, King's College Monarch, Lebanon Valley Dutchmen, Lycoming Warriors, Miseracordia Cougars, Widener Pride, Wilkes Colonels.
The Fairleigh Dickinson Devils (N.J.) and the Stevenson Mustangs (Md.) are also in the league.

Centennial Conference
Dickinson Red Devils, Franklin and Marshall Diplomats, Gettysburg Bullets, Juniata Eagles, Moravian Greyhounds, Muhlenberg Mules, Susquehanna Crusaders, Ursinus Bears.
The Johns-Hopkins Blue Jays (Md.) and the McDaniel Green Terror (Md.) are also in the league.

Patriot League
Bucknell Bison, Lafayette Leopards, Lehigh Engineers.

The American Athletic Conference
Temple Owls

Colonial Athletic Association
Drexel Dragons, Villanova Wildcats

If anybody cheers for one of these teams, we would like to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football