U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 PM

503 posts, read 390,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How very self righteous of you. Most of all you have no clue about A&M's culture and mindset. I was at the game yesterday. Yes I was disappointed as were 80,000 people with Manziel's penalty for taunting. Coach Sumlin sat him down after that and put back in the backup QB. In his short time as head coach, Sumlin has shown he is not shy with player discipline - hence the number of players suspended recently for off field activity. Six starters didn't play yesterday because of disciplinary action. I'm glad Sumlin doesn't follow the Les Miles model of letting his players vote what discipline should be.

Manziel plays with a huge chip on his shoulder and I get irritated with it like you and many others. I hope he controls himself, when he needs to, like he always has so far. He doesn't take crap from anyone and he has been that way forever. Not necessarily a positive quality, but his teammates like to see that in their QB.

He truly doesn't care however what an internet poster in Florida thinks. Neither do I.
Hence the multiple paragraph response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 PM

8,405 posts, read 8,393,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Actually I do. My ex wife and her dad both went there. I know A&M Culture: It is utterly disgusting, angry, vulgar, violent and self-righteous to boot. Nothing to be proud of UNLESS You do not know any better.
Which helps explain the Manziel fiasco.

I am so sorry you had to spend a day of your life at Kyle field. I cannot think of a worse way to spend a Saturday afternoon, outsidde of downtown Huntsville perhaps.

I know a lot about a lot, including about A&M culture, and I have never been impressed by any of it. Sorry. Manziel is a problematic result of a problematic system.
Everybody who is not an aggie and is familiar with their "culture" knows how weird it is, but Manziel's character problem was formed before he got there.
Hopefully Sumlin will exert enough influence on the guy and keep him from self-destructing, because his family seems to be enabling his behavior.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
I think he definitely needs to grow up and I think the coach point just that out in interview.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:25 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,565,301 times
Quote:
Actually I do. My ex wife and her dad both went there. I know A&M Culture: It is utterly disgusting, angry, vulgar, violent and self-righteous to boot. Nothing to be proud of UNLESS You do not know any better.

I am so sorry you had to spend a day of your life at Kyle field. I cannot think of a worse way to spend a Saturday afternoon, outsidde of downtown Huntsville perhaps.

I know a lot about a lot, including about A&M culture, and I have never been impressed by any of it. Sorry. Manziel is a problematic result of a problematic system.
A&M culture is utterly disgusting, angry, vulgar, violent and self-righteous? How do you arrive at that? All because of one football player? One who has not hurt anyone, not done drugs, not cheated academically?

A&M culture is wonderful. Different maybe. But it is a terrific public university.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 PM

411 posts, read 771,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A&M culture is utterly disgusting, angry, vulgar, violent and self-righteous? How do you arrive at that? All because of one football player? One who has not hurt anyone, not done drugs, not cheated academically?

A&M culture is wonderful. Different maybe. But it is a terrific public university.
but you are giving too much credit to a punk who's about to implode like Charlie sheen. He's a flash in the pan and doesn't have the grey matter to be successful at the next level. you are clearly biased.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 AM

13,707 posts, read 8,608,949 times
Quote:

Kids, coaches, fans - they are all a problem that no one wants to acknowledge.
Coaching is often no more than bullying. That's a shame, but it is often driven by fans and parents who mistakenly believe that yelling and demanding ever more out of a young man will teach him something. It does, of course, and all too often what it teaches is the belief that physical superiority trumps all.

Manziel is recognized as a success for now, but lost in the mix are the thousands of talented football players who played football to the exclusion of everything else. They will now stumble through life uninformed, and for the most part unemployable.

50% of the kids I see playing on Saturday afternoon have no business at a 4 year college. They are being used by universities to promote the status of the university officials and the further some coaches' career, that's all.

Of the 2500 football scholarships given each year the NFL will pick 250 to play as professionals. Their average career will span 3 1/2 years, and 70% will be broke within 3 years of their last game. The players who are not picked are the lucky ones, as they will be forced to confront the reality that they have not been preparing for life at all while still young enough to correct their mistake.

Those players unfortunate enough to have great talent may have to learn that lesson later.

For The Record:
I grew up in Auburn. I was friends with the head coach's son. Neither he nor I ever played football, and I never heard it discussed in his house. But that was a very long time ago when players were actually students.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,981,409 times
I met a man once in Person who had been, supposedly, a head Coach at Texas A&M one time. He was one of the most interesting people I have ever met. he was not pretentious, or conceited. He was though, as Spock would say, Fascinating.
He was someone with whom I would love to have had more conversations. And we never discussed football, instead, we discussed ideas, life, things that matter.

My ex wife went to That school. I did not. Apparently, according to what she told me after the fact, she caught a lot of flack about dating someone who was from another school. I never felt welcome or even wanted when I went to visit. Her friend, though a large circle, kept me as an "outsider" and rarely if ever included me in their life.
We went to Houston to spend a weekend with a bunch of "Aggies" , people she knew while she was there. All married couples, like us. I was not looking forward to it, but I found that my chef skills came in handy when it was time to eat. I was able to keep busy preparing food, and I actually got a few compliments afterwards. The reason that I did not want to even be there, and refused to go afterwards, was because of the conceited attitude of the aggie grads towards non-aggies. I was addressed as though I was more or less a second-class citizen because I did not go to A&M...or want to.

So yes, I am familiar with the culture. There is NO perfect college. Any school will have it's share of problems. But I did not care for the redneck "my way or the highway" attitude that was so prevalent there. The idea that people at Texas A&M will like you only if you agree with everything they say and se everything down the narrow view that they do. It is a very closed -minded mentality.
And that is why I don't go to church, so why would I want to be at a school that encourages that?

As for the topic of Johnny (insert your nickname here) Manziel, His problem is his immaturity and his attitude. But he makes a lot of money for the school, and the school is making the mistake of letting him act as though he is bigger than the game itself. I agree with the coach for benching him. If I were the coach, I'd bench him next week too, as punishment for ignoring his coach and walking by him like he is more important, too important to follow the coach's direction. Which in the eyes of A&M, he may be. The coach might suspend him for a week, just to teach him a lesson, then administration would step in, show the coach the door, because they do not want Manziel anywhere except in the spotlight where he makes money for the school. And football makes a lot of money for the school. After all, it is in Texas. And winning games is more important than life.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:16 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,462 times
Manziel is just a spoiled rich brat! Having said that...

I love his swagger on the field... Getting An unsmortsmanlike penalty because he responded to taunts (which are technically unsportsmanlike as well) is not a big deal.

And I LOVE the fact that he pointed to the score board...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,565,301 times
Quote:
I met a man once in Person who had been, supposedly, a head Coach at Texas A&M one time. He was one of the most interesting people I have ever met. he was not pretentious, or conceited. He was though, as Spock would say, Fascinating.
He was someone with whom I would love to have had more conversations. And we never discussed football, instead, we discussed ideas, life, things that matter.

My ex wife went to That school. I did not. Apparently, according to what she told me after the fact, she caught a lot of flack about dating someone who was from another school. I never felt welcome or even wanted when I went to visit. Her friend, though a large circle, kept me as an "outsider" and rarely if ever included me in their life.
We went to Houston to spend a weekend with a bunch of "Aggies" , people she knew while she was there. All married couples, like us. I was not looking forward to it, but I found that my chef skills came in handy when it was time to eat. I was able to keep busy preparing food, and I actually got a few compliments afterwards. The reason that I did not want to even be there, and refused to go afterwards, was because of the conceited attitude of the aggie grads towards non-aggies. I was addressed as though I was more or less a second-class citizen because I did not go to A&M...or want to.

So yes, I am familiar with the culture. There is NO perfect college. Any school will have it's share of problems. But I did not care for the redneck "my way or the highway" attitude that was so prevalent there. The idea that people at Texas A&M will like you only if you agree with everything they say and se everything down the narrow view that they do. It is a very closed -minded mentality.
And that is why I don't go to church, so why would I want to be at a school that encourages that?

As for the topic of Johnny (insert your nickname here) Manziel, His problem is his immaturity and his attitude. But he makes a lot of money for the school, and the school is making the mistake of letting him act as though he is bigger than the game itself. I agree with the coach for benching him. If I were the coach, I'd bench him next week too, as punishment for ignoring his coach and walking by him like he is more important, too important to follow the coach's direction. Which in the eyes of A&M, he may be. The coach might suspend him for a week, just to teach him a lesson, then administration would step in, show the coach the door, because they do not want Manziel anywhere except in the spotlight where he makes money for the school. And football makes a lot of money for the school. After all, it is in Texas. And winning games is more important than life.
Johnny IS immature. I won't argue with that. He is smarter than you think though. You can tell by listening to him. He does stupid things but not because he is stupid. He just doesn't think it will hurt him.

Some of you make a mountain out of a mole hill. I don't think he ignored Sumlin. I watched the replay. He heard Sumlin. Sumlin didn't chase him. I don't like what he did to get the penalty. But you act as if he is the only player on the planet that mouthed off at someone. He didn't get a personal foul - he didn't committ a chop block, a clip, or do a cheap shot that could hurt a player. He opened his mouth.

As for A&M - you are repeating a standard but outdated line. It is a school of 50,000 students. Some are rednecks. Others are born an bred city boys/girls. There are frat boys/girls. There are dopers. And thousands and thousands don't go to church. (I didn't then and don't now). A&M isn't Baylor. A&M is more conservative than the University of Texas - but its free spiritness is probably exaggerated. There are rednecks at UT too.

Dating kids from other schools is frowned upon? You have to be kidding. Maybe your ex-wife was just not very confident in herself. A&M kids date UT kids, Rice kids, TCU kids, UH kids, etc. There are even gays at A&M!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,230,313 times
from my understanding Johnny was responding to trash talk from the other bench. Now I get that trash talking is prevalent in sports, especially football but you simply don't see much of it from the QB. Cornerbacks seem to talk more crap than anyone on the field and nary a word gets mentioned about it. I guess what I am saying is, Johnny trash talking should NOT be that big of a deal. of course walking past your coach after the penalty is a big deal and of course the useless NCAA suspension of half a game is even more of a deal! ;(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football