U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM

8,365 posts, read 8,360,332 times

Advertisements

I thought him pointing to the scoreboard was pretty badass, but snubbing the coach? Somebody needs to kick his butt for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I thought him pointing to the scoreboard was pretty badass, but snubbing the coach? Somebody needs to kick his butt for that.
That right there tells you who's running the show. It ain't Sumlin.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,190 times
Sumlin doesn't command a lot of respect in my eyes... He's a patsy coach. Too scared he will lose his job or be criticized if he actually stood his ground. He just doesn't have the leadership charisma. He's just happy to have the job... He won't ruffle any feathers. No way Manziel would be able to get away with what he does with a strong coach like Saban, Spurrier, Stoops, or Brian Kelly.

Sumlin doesn't call many shots. He has never disciplined Manziel... So why would Manziel all of a sudden respect him?

Sumlin needs Manziel a hell of a lot more than Manziel needs Sumlin!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM

8,365 posts, read 8,360,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That right there tells you who's running the show. It ain't Sumlin.
Spot on.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,525,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Sumlin specifically discussed this yesterday during his press conference. He said he said two things to Manziel after the penalty, neither of which he was willing to repeat. He said it was not intended to be a conversation with Manziel. He also chided the media for speculating what happens on the sideline when not one of them was there to either see their faces or hear what was said.

You don't have to believe him. But he didn't duck the question.

I don't expect Manziel to get another penalty like that.

But really - the guy doesn't back down. And people are this upset about it? He ain't Tebow. Yet Manziel seems to have the full support of this teammates.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Sumlin doesn't command a lot of respect in my eyes... He's a patsy coach. Too scared he will lose his job or be criticized if he actually stood his ground. He just doesn't have the leadership charisma. He's just happy to have the job... He won't ruffle any feathers. No way Manziel would be able to get away with what he does with a strong coach like Saban, Spurrier, Stoops, or Brian Kelly.

Sumlin doesn't call many shots. He has never disciplined Manziel... So why would Manziel all of a sudden respect him?

Sumlin needs Manziel a hell of a lot more than Manziel needs Sumlin!
He doesn't have leadership charisma? Are you serious? His players clearly respect the man. Just like his players at UH did before he came to A&M.

Sumlin suspended four players, three defensive starters, before the Rice game, for a violation of team rules that occurred weeks earlier.

What would you do as head coach if one of your players had a dumb 15 yard penalty? Would you suspend a linebacker for a personal foul for a late hit? What would you do if one of your players tweeted dumb things? Sit him down? Please tell me just what you would do.

Do you think Stoops didn't know his quarterback a few years ago was getting paid to work at a car dealer but didn't actually work?

Why did South Carolina lose scholarships recently because of NCAA violations? Was Spurrier not strong enough then to control his program?

There are already questions about Brian Kelly and his grip on his team.

Is Brian Kelly Restoring Discipline to Notre Dame Football or Losing Control? | Bleacher Report

Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
star QB, 3rd year with the team, heisman winner, most visible player that program has seen in a long time

not elected to the 12 member leadership council

not elected as a team captain

yeah - he certainly has a lot of love flowing in that locker room...................

Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
star QB, 3rd year with the team, heisman winner, most visible player that program has seen in a long time

not elected to the 12 member leadership council

not elected as a team captain

yeah - he certainly has a lot of love flowing in that locker room...................
I wouldn't vote him to the leadership team either. But I'd have him as my starting QB.

AJ McCarron was a redshirt junior (4th year on the team) last year for Alabama. He wasn't a captain. I guess the coaches and team don't respect him either?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Alabama is a run and defend team which is why they had 2 senior offensive lineman (both currently in the NFL) as their captains knowing that McCarron would be back for his senior year and would pick up the honor at that point

You have a heisman winning that is the offense who isn't voted to any position of leadership by his team in what will be his final season - that isn't normal .......... Tebow was captain multiple years

Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
He doesn't have leadership charisma? Are you serious? His players clearly respect the man. Just like his players at UH did before he came to A&M.

Sumlin suspended four players, three defensive starters, before the Rice game, for a violation of team rules that occurred weeks earlier.

What would you do as head coach if one of your players had a dumb 15 yard penalty? Would you suspend a linebacker for a personal foul for a late hit? What would you do if one of your players tweeted dumb things? Sit him down? Please tell me just what you would do.

I didnt say Sumlin should have done anything differently in that situation... I didnt say what Manziel did to Sumlin was wrong in the situation either. I am not looking at the situation that happened saturday with them in a vacuum.

But based on what I have seen the past year with Manziel and Sumlin... Sumlin, is not a E.F. Hutton type of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football