U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM

8,408 posts, read 8,403,312 times

Advertisements

Sumlin got off to a great start - but with the Sherminator's recruits (just like stoops did at OU). We'll see how he does with his own guys after Manziel & others leave. If he's still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I didnt say Sumlin should have done anything differently in that situation... I didnt say what Manziel did to Sumlin was wrong in the situation either. I am not looking at the situation that happened saturday with them in a vacuum.

But based on what I have seen the past year with Manziel and Sumlin... Sumlin, is not a E.F. Hutton type of guy.
I don't see than Sumlin has done anything even remotely questionable. He has shown integrity throughout his career and it continues at A&M. He hires excellent coaches. He seems to have a gift for relating to young men. Maybe it is as simple as what he isn't - a fat old white guy that doesn't get rap music or social media.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Sumlin got off to a great start - but with the Sherminator's recruits (just like stoops did at OU). We'll see how he does with his own guys after Manziel & others leave. If he's still there.
True enough (the players). But 16 of his players (freshmen) played against Rice. Several of A&M's strong players last year were his recruits (especially Mike Evans (WR) and Julian Obioha (12 starts at DL)). 29 players on the 2-deep are sophomores or freshmen. 25 of the 2-deep are freshmen or transfers - all Sumlin players. Some of the sophomores were Sherman's recruits.

No doubt Sumlin started with an outstanding OL, an explosive QB, and a few other talents like Damontre Moore.

I still don't get why you think he might not stay long at A&M.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't see than Sumlin has done anything even remotely questionable. He has shown integrity throughout his career and it continues at A&M. He hires excellent coaches. He seems to have a gift for relating to young men. Maybe it is as simple as what he isn't - a fat old white guy that doesn't get rap music or social media.
His race, weight, or choice of music is irrelevant.

I just think he's bland... I didn't say he wasn't a good coach.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
True enough (the players). But 16 of his players (freshmen) played against Rice. Several of A&M's strong players last year were his recruits (especially Mike Evans (WR) and Julian Obioha (12 starts at DL)). 29 players on the 2-deep are sophomores or freshmen. 25 of the 2-deep are freshmen or transfers - all Sumlin players. Some of the sophomores were Sherman's recruits.

No doubt Sumlin started with an outstanding OL, an explosive QB, and a few other talents like Damontre Moore.

I still don't get why you think he might not stay long at A&M.
If he does really well the next several years and a bigger time program comes calling with $$$, he will leave.... just like he did at Houston.

JMO

Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
His race, weight, or choice of music is irrelevant.

I just think he's bland... I didn't say he wasn't a good coach.
Bland? Compared to?

Mike Sherman was bland.
Les Miles is not bland.
Bob Stoops is middle of the road
Saban is super established, but he doesn't have a notable personality.
Mack Brown isn't bland, but is hardly charismatic.

Day in day out most D1 head coaches, good or bad, are pretty boring.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If he does really well the next several years and a bigger time program comes calling with $$$, he will leave.... just like he did at Houston.

JMO
I disagree. If A&M is a perennial SEC contender, and he is paid, say $4M a year, what would he leave for? Which SEC, Big 10, Big12, or PAC12 team would be so appealing?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM

11,819 posts, read 9,409,621 times
Sumlin can only do so much...

..especially when you have the AD defending Johnny and saying players should be paid.

I was a Johnny football fan but the kid is annoying. Its great theater though so I'm not too mad at his antics.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 PM

Yesterday was a trouble free day for him. He focused on football and played very well. It was obvious he was restrained by the coaches on running. He had some huge opportunities to run that he didn't take advantage of and chose to throw instead.

For college football fans in Texas, the better theater may be in Austin, watching the firestorm building around Mack Brown.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yesterday was a trouble free day for him. He focused on football and played very well. It was obvious he was restrained by the coaches on running. He had some huge opportunities to run that he didn't take advantage of and chose to throw instead.

For college football fans in Texas, the better theater may be in Austin, watching the firestorm building around Mack Brown.
No kiddin'.

Maybe the Forty Acres is gettin' ready to get rid of its mule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football