U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Reputation: 1357

Advertisements

FCS is having a good week.

First Thursday saw North Dakota St over Kansas St.
Now today saw Eastern Washington over Oregon St.
Northern Iowa over Iowa St.
McNeese St over USF.
Towson over UConn.
William & Mary almost pulled a win over West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Georgetown, TX and The World
455 posts, read 1,193,123 times
Reputation: 418
Liberty had a close game with Kent State as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 PM
 
Location: H-town, TX.
3,431 posts, read 5,775,504 times
Reputation: 2120
Eastern Illinois also scalped San Diego State.

Southern Utah got South Alabama, which is Sun Belt material now. Not a huge deal on anyone's radar, but...there is still a 22 schollie difference between even the Sun Belt and any D1-AA squad.

Southern Illinois fell a score short at Illinois.

There were a few other noteworthy "upsets", but WKU beat UK, which leads us to the obligatory...


Andrew Jackson WKU not impressed by SEC Players - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,141 posts, read 1,003,458 times
Reputation: 981
I remember reading somewhere that the elite of FCS could beat the majority of FBS.

Last edited by BJW50; 08-31-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,169 posts, read 4,634,265 times
Reputation: 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the elite of FCS could beat the majority of FBS.
North Dakota State is definitely the elite and that was the Big 12 champions they just beat at Kansas State. Eastern Washington's program as well as Northern Iowa are two of the best also.

Wherever you read it, I'd say it's fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Reputation: 13610
All of these spread offenses are making it possible for the second-tier to be competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Reputation: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
FCS is having a good week.

First Thursday saw North Dakota St over Kansas St.
Now today saw Eastern Washington over Oregon St.
Northern Iowa over Iowa St.
McNeese St over USF.
Towson over UConn.
William & Mary almost pulled a win over West Virginia.

And the schools still got paid too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,171,285 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the elite of FCS could beat the majority of FBS.
No. The weakest FBS can beat a majority of the FCS. It is due to scholarship #s and the lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 AM
 
16,752 posts, read 9,103,803 times
Reputation: 6781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
North Dakota State is definitely the elite and that was the Big 12 champions they just beat at Kansas State. Eastern Washington's program as well as Northern Iowa are two of the best also.

Wherever you read it, I'd say it's fact.

Not to take anything away from NDSU on their great win - I was watching part of the game and cheering them on - however this is not the same Kansas State team as last year.

Kansas State lost many players including their Heisman finalist QB, which is why they weren't even ranked despite being #11 in last years final poll.

Phil Steele, who is supposedly the best pre-season prognosticator has Kansas State finishing 6th out of 10 teams in the B12 this year.


NDSU versus D1A major conference opponents in recent years:

2011 Beat Minnesota 37-24, Minnesota finished the year 3-9 and 2-6 in the BigTen.

2010 Beat Kansas 6-3, Kansas finished 3-9 and 1-7 in the B12.

2009 Lost to Iowa State 34-17, ISU finished 7-6 and 3-5 in the B12.

2007 Beat Minnesota 27-21, Minnesota finished 1-11 and 0-8 in the BigTen.

2006 Lost to Minnesota 10-9, Minnesota finished 6-7 and 3-5 in the BigTen.

As you can see since 2006, the major conference teams that NDSU beat had a combined conference record of 3 wins and 21 losses.

The major conference teams that beat NDSU had a combined conference record of 6-10.

Of course we'll wait and see how Kansas State does, but as of this moment they haven't exactly played the best teams as of yet at the D1A level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,169 posts, read 4,634,265 times
Reputation: 5343
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Not to take anything away from NDSU on their great win - I was watching part of the game and cheering them on - however this is not the same Kansas State team as last year.

Kansas State lost many players including their Heisman finalist QB, which is why they weren't even ranked despite being #11 in last years final poll.

Phil Steele, who is supposedly the best pre-season prognosticator has Kansas State finishing 6th out of 10 teams in the B12 this year.


NDSU versus D1A major conference opponents in recent years:

2011 Beat Minnesota 37-24, Minnesota finished the year 3-9 and 2-6 in the BigTen.

2010 Beat Kansas 6-3, Kansas finished 3-9 and 1-7 in the B12.

2009 Lost to Iowa State 34-17, ISU finished 7-6 and 3-5 in the B12.

2007 Beat Minnesota 27-21, Minnesota finished 1-11 and 0-8 in the BigTen.

2006 Lost to Minnesota 10-9, Minnesota finished 6-7 and 3-5 in the BigTen.

As you can see since 2006, the major conference teams that NDSU beat had a combined conference record of 3 wins and 21 losses.

The major conference teams that beat NDSU had a combined conference record of 6-10.

Of course we'll wait and see how Kansas State does, but as of this moment they haven't exactly played the best teams as of yet at the D1A level.
Not arguing with your post at all. Keep in mind, the comment is that the ELITE of FCS CAN beat (not will beat) the majority of FBS teams. We're not talking the better FCS teams, but the elite FCS teams. My U. of SD Coyotes knocked off Minnesota a couple years ago and USD was only a .500 team and definitely nowhere near the elite status in FCS (in fact that was their last year as a D-2 team).

You're not still hurting from that Appalachian State game are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top