U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,720,993 times

Advertisements

For all the college fans out there you gotta love the gadet/trick play!!! Well at least when it works. I've seen some not all but there are some that come to mind.

Hook n Ladder
Wishbone Pass
Fumblerooski
Statue of Liberty
Fake punt or field goal pass/run

With that said, who does it best?? When should you call it as a coach?? Best moments when they worked??

I need this, to take my mind of the Longhorns poor start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
For all the college fans out there you gotta love the gadet/trick play!!! Well at least when it works. I've seen some not all but there are some that come to mind.

With that said, who does it best?? When should you call it as a coach?? Best moments when they worked??

I need this, to take my mind of the Longhorns poor start.

Northern Illinois pulls off the fake punt/ field goal pretty successfully - against Iowa last week and in the Orange Bowl.

Gadget plays are pretty good if they are pulled off exactly as planned, especially when two teams are NOT very familiar with your play calling.

The problem with trick plays is when they start becoming part of your routine (if it worked the last three times, we can do it again ... ). As high risk plays, you stand to lose a LOT when they don't work out.

I remember that one team I followed had a trick play that worked really well in the opener against an inferior opponent. The coach added that to the routine and tried to "trick" the other team 1-2 times per game against superior opponents. It led to a good number of 10-15 yard losses.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM

889 posts, read 1,014,754 times
Gadget

And I'd have to say we (Michigan State) have had some of the best trick plays in the past few years. The fake field goal in overtime against Notre Dame being the biggest one.

Boise State is always good for some too it seems like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football