U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Reputation: 1768

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm not a Tarheel fan...it's the state nickname too, hence my name. I'm sure you ARE terribly embarrassed and it DOES negate most of your past points - comment history is readily available so you can't really deny anything. You've been crowing about your Mountaineers for years now, and it's just fun to see where your awesome team is now. You've also been putting down the ACC for years now simply because we didn't want your team - and now you get your payback.

UMD certainly is middle of the road in the ACC...if going by your standards then Texas Tech is the top team in the Little 12 - and we all know that isn't true. Any team can be 4-0, but you know that doesn't mean it's the best team in it's conference.

Oh, how far the big mouths have fallen.
For years no. Just one year and the ACC isn't that good of a football conference except lville. WVU sucking too doesn't change that. This thread is not about the ACC or WVU. You are just bitter at what I said but your comments are irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

 
Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Don't try logic...it's just doesn't work. This guy has a major history of running his mouth about his team and his conference. It's WVU! Of course he is going to downplay academics just like his university!
When you try then it will work. Your LOL wvu lost post wasn't logic it was a cheap shot irrelevant to the topic. I'm having a series conversation here while you are just around because you have an Axe to grind with me.

Of course you are going to overplay academics you like the ACC but since you added lville you lost that reputation, although it was irrelevant to football.
 
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc
Also as a tarheel fan you can't really talk smack on any teams with your 1-2 record. We are in the same league my friend but if you have something to add about academics please do so.
US News
#30 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
#170 West Virginia University

Same league, I don't think so... Neither are they in football too. UNC at least scored in all their games. Their two losses are against ranked South Carolina and undefeated Georgia Tech (#27 in AP). West Virginia on the other hand barely beat William & Mary (FCS) and were blown out in the first half in all their losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc
Just one year and the ACC isn't that good of a football conference except lville
AP Poll
#3 Clemson
#7 Louisville (future)
#8 Florida State
#15 Miami
#22 Notre Dame (future)
#27 Georgia Tech
#28 Maryland
#33 Virginia Tech

In the same span, only 4 Big 12 teams are in there. I hope West Virginia is liking it. They are losing tons of money in travel. Big 12 didn't acquire a new team from east of the Mississippi to help West Virginia. They won't be anytime soon.
 
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA..don't go to GSU
1,110 posts, read 1,344,127 times
Reputation: 366
Umm...

How about bringing "college" back into college football you bunch of Ole Miss fans. This isn't about the athletes, it's about the rest of us...all 30,000 of us.

It'll take me a lot of sociology, psychology, economics and history to explain why its relevant to football conferences specifically, but if you question the value of academic comparisons between colleges, I too, don't know what to tell you.
 
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
US News
#30 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
#170 West Virginia University

Same league, I don't think so... Neither are they in football too. UNC at least scored in all their games. Their two losses are against ranked South Carolina and undefeated Georgia Tech (#27 in AP). West Virginia on the other hand barely beat William & Mary (FCS) and were blown out in the first half in all their losses.


AP Poll
#3 Clemson
#7 Louisville (future)
#8 Florida State
#15 Miami
#22 Notre Dame (future)
#27 Georgia Tech
#28 Maryland
#33 Virginia Tech

In the same span, only 4 Big 12 teams are in there. I hope West Virginia is liking it. They are losing tons of money in travel. Big 12 didn't acquire a new team from east of the Mississippi to help West Virginia. They won't be anytime soon.
Actually no, they are making money in the Big 12. They are making about $5 million than any ACC team and spending about $1 million to travel.

Also of course ACC teams are ranked they have an automatic shot at the BCS and only really play other ACC teams. The rankings are based on the chance of making the chance of the NC based on schedule not on how good a football team is. If you threw the very worst football teams in a conference and guaranteed the winner of that conference would get a BCS shot they would be ranked too. Ill give you credit FSU is one of the better ACC teams, very few of them are good, but you still dont have cred until you beat someone good. You won a BCS but you beat Northern Illinois, which shouldnt have even made it there. You only played one good team last year, UF, and lost. Maybe you are good, but you have yet to show it by beating a good school. Granted you play in the ACC so you dont really have the opportunity to do this. The only ACC school with ANY football credibility is Lville which was Big E until last year. In many ways a good school would benefit from playing in the ACC as they would face mostly cupcakes and get an automatic shot at the NC, in that regard it is the new Big East.

However, you did not answer the question. Why is academics relevant? I know go to a top #50 grad school and was accepted to Northwestern, but guess what I dont care about their athletics nor do I brag about the academics of my current school when it comes to sports. Also FSU is hardly an academic powerhouse, although it is not a bad school. Any claim the ACC had to caring about academics died when lville joined them, but this is a good thing. For decades the academics was irrelevant to football, so I am glad they are finally shutting up about it. Also it isnt all the ACC, schools like Duke dont pretend it matters it is only Clemson, Pitt, and UNC that really talk about their academics when talking about Football. You are the exception for an FSU fan, but most FSU football fans focus on the football and not on academics when talking about football.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 09-24-2013 at 08:58 PM..
 
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Umm...

How about bringing "college" back into college football you bunch of Ole Miss fans. This isn't about the athletes, it's about the rest of us...all 30,000 of us.

It'll take me a lot of sociology, psychology, economics and history to explain why its relevant to football conferences specifically, but if you question the value of academic comparisons between colleges, I too, don't know what to tell you.
It is your topic but you cant even answer it.

You are right it is college FOOTBALL not a college math competition. It is about the FOOTBALL.

I do see the value of academic comparisons between colleges, in academic matters, not in football which is hardly an academic event. It is a sport and entertainment.

In this day and age schools dont even pretend academics matter in football, and they are right they dont.
 
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA..don't go to GSU
1,110 posts, read 1,344,127 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is your topic but you cant even answer it.

You are right it is college FOOTBALL not a college math competition. It is about the FOOTBALL.

I do see the value of academic comparisons between colleges, in academic matters, not in football which is hardly an academic event. It is a sport and entertainment.

In this day and age schools dont even pretend academics matter in football, and they are right they dont.
Nope. They do. Academics count. I just don't feel like explaining it here because it won't be worth my time. This thread will get, what? 400 views? What's my scope? I'll give it a go.

AAU is key for football realignment. All big 10 schools are AAU. AAU universities are top research universities in the country. If you're AAU, you're one of the best schools in the world academically - grad and undergrad. Football is nothing but a source of revenue and a linkage to the common man(only 30% of the US population holds a college degree, and many less from a top 5 conference university)

Are you joking? Universities don't give a sh*t about football. They care about money and attracting students/donations with football

Football schools tend to be the most financially and academically stable. Universities bring in economic potential into the state via research and graduates(jobs, start-ups and companies)

Football is another way to catalyzing the economy of the university. So what does academics have to do with that? Well, for public universities, football is a big way to bring in revenue for the university to support the academic mission. Sure we have Alabama and Ole Miss, but schools like UGA, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, UT-Austin all use their football money to support students and faculty through scholarship and professorships. The SECU symposium in Atlanta was a huge hit(I attended)

I can speak for UGA, we use Athletic Association professorships to keep the best faculty at our university. Endowment is a big deal these days. Not only do schools compete for the best students(and then alumni), they compete for the best faculty and the best researchers. Researchers create innovation which through technology transfer officers result in innovation. Wow. Tangent. Anyway, so professorships and endowments keep top labs running and top faculty at the university. So football brings in money for that scholarships at UGA

Athletics To Fund UGA Professorship

Of course, not all schools are academically incline. Some schools take a bit of money and put it towards construction and academics...others put it all in football.

If you want to learn more, get a PhD in higher education administration. Top program is at Michigan, go blue

Best Higher Education Administration Programs | Top Education Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools
 
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Nope. They do. Academics count. I just don't feel like explaining it here because it won't be worth my time. This thread will get, what? 400 views? What's my scope? I'll give it a go.

AAU is key for football realignment. All big 10 schools are AAU. AAU universities are top research universities in the country. If you're AAU, you're one of the best schools in the world academically - grad and undergrad. Football is nothing but a source of revenue and a linkage to the common man(only 30% of the US population holds a college degree, and many less from a top 5 conference university)

Are you joking? Universities don't give a sh*t about football. They care about money and attracting students/donations with football

Football schools tend to be the most financially and academically stable. Universities bring in economic potential into the state via research and graduates(jobs, start-ups and companies)

Football is another way to catalyzing the economy of the university. So what does academics have to do with that? Well, for public universities, football is a big way to bring in revenue for the university to support the academic mission. Sure we have Alabama and Ole Miss, but schools like UGA, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, UT-Austin all use their football money to support students and faculty through scholarship and professorships. The SECU symposium in Atlanta was a huge hit(I attended)

I can speak for UGA, we use Athletic Association professorships to keep the best faculty at our university. Endowment is a big deal these days. Not only do schools compete for the best students(and then alumni), they compete for the best faculty and the best researchers. Researchers create innovation which through technology transfer officers result in innovation. Wow. Tangent. Anyway, so professorships and endowments keep top labs running and top faculty at the university. So football brings in money for that scholarships at UGA

Athletics To Fund UGA Professorship

Of course, not all schools are academically incline. Some schools take a bit of money and put it towards construction and academics...others put it all in football.

If you want to learn more, get a PhD in higher education administration. Top program is at Michigan, go blue

Best Higher Education Administration Programs | Top Education Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools
I never said Universities dont give a **** about football. They give huge ****s. In most states the highest paid state employee is a football couch.



However, that money usually goes back to the athletic programs. Using your logic the SEC would be equivalent to the ivy league academically. Realignment is driven by one thing, money. Schools want markets and money. Best example is the ACC letting lville in.

Football is not the main source of revenue for a school. Also the academics of a school are irrelevant to your argument. So football can fund academics, cool, so why is the academics relevant to the football program? Those players arent the academics nor is a football game an academic event. If anything your argument implies schools should not care about the academics of teams they play but instead focus on playing teams that will maximize their revenue so they can spend it on academics, which is the case right. If anything basing your conference on academics holds a team back.

Using your own logic you agree with me.

Here is the truth, college football is about money. If you make money and have good academics, great! If you have bad academics and make money, great! If you suck at football and have good academics, not so great! Schools dont leave or join conferences because they want to play schools with similar academics, they want to make money.

Who you play football with doesnt improve, or in turn hurt, a school's academics.
 
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA..don't go to GSU
1,110 posts, read 1,344,127 times
Reputation: 366
Hmm valid point. Except about my logic considering SEC schools ivy leuge. A lot goes into the revenue of a university. An American research university is the second most complicated "firm" in existence apart from the country. There's a lot that goes into it.


Academics have somewhat of a say. BIG 10 and pac-12 care very much about academics. BIG 12? Not so much. Many times, football conferences double as academic peers. These schools are similar in scope, array of courses and programs, size etc.

It's all about academic peers. Look up peers and aspirational peers on your team and you'll start understanding where I'm coming from. Note, anomalies exist. Vanderbilt is not equal to Ole Miss. Also was surprised big 12 averages were behind SEC averages. Didn't know U Washington was where it is(expected higher)

I digress. The table(point of thread) is interesting to say the least.


Now back to topic, was anyone surprised by the academic differences? I didn't think UK would be so low and I didn't think USC would be so high.
 
Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Actually no, they are making money in the Big 12. They are making about $5 million than any ACC team and spending about $1 million to travel.
Facts:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ept-in-the-red
WVU revenue took a hit for 2011-2012 - - ET Mobile

West Virginia is not only failing on the field but also failing in the financial aspect.

Quote:
Also of course ACC teams are ranked they have an automatic shot at the BCS and only really play other ACC teams. The rankings are based on the chance of making the chance of the NC based on schedule not on how good a football team is. If you threw the very worst football teams in a conference and guaranteed the winner of that conference would get a BCS shot they would be ranked too. Ill give you credit FSU is one of the better ACC teams, very few of them are good, but you still dont have cred until you beat someone good. You won a BCS but you beat Northern Illinois, which shouldnt have even made it there. You only played one good team last year, UF, and lost. Maybe you are good, but you have yet to show it by beating a good school. Granted you play in the ACC so you dont really have the opportunity to do this. The only ACC school with ANY football credibility is Lville which was Big E until last year. In many ways a good school would benefit from playing in the ACC as they would face mostly cupcakes and get an automatic shot at the NC, in that regard it is the new Big East.
The ACC's year of success is due to knocking out the #1 SEC East team and #3 SEC East team. Even in loss an ACC team held the #1 SEC West team to a huge low in total offense and gassed the #2 SEC East team's defense. This wasn't the case for last year's #12 Big 12 team losing to a FCS opponent or last year's #19 Big 12 team losing 2 games so far and their coach on the hot seat. The gist... the Big 12 can't win these games yet the ACC teams could.

P.S. UF sucked last year... NFBG. They showed up for one game and it happened to be against us.

Quote:
However, you did not answer the question. Why is academics relevant? .
I answered this question the last thread you guys came into. Not every player will go pro. Education gives them a future after athletics. Education also plays a factor for the kids going to the next level. Why? Because they have to make grades in order for the NCAA to allow them to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top