U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,395,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Facts:
Even with Move to the Big 12, Why Is West Virginia's Athletic Dept. in the Red? | Bleacher Report
WVU revenue took a hit for 2011-2012 - - ET Mobile

West Virginia is not only failing on the field but also failing in the financial aspect.

The ACC's year of success is due to knocking out the #1 SEC East team and #3 SEC East team. Even in loss an ACC team held the #1 SEC West team to a huge low in total offense and gassed the #2 SEC East team's defense. This wasn't the case for last year's #12 Big 12 team losing to a FCS opponent or last year's #19 Big 12 team losing 2 games so far and their coach on the hot seat. The gist... the Big 12 can't win these games yet the ACC teams could.

P.S. UF sucked last year... NFBG. They showed up for one game and it happened to be against us.

I answered this question the last thread you guys came into. Not every player will go pro. Education gives them a future after athletics. Education also plays a factor for the kids going to the next level. Why? Because they have to make grades in order for the NCAA to allow them to play.
Did you even read the article you linked to, it refutes you.

Quote:
West Virginia University’s athletic department suffered through a record loss of $12.9 million in the fiscal year ending on June 30, 2012, but it was neither unexpected nor will it put a major crimp into the operation of the department until it becomes a fully-funded member of the Big 12 in three more years.

The deficit came about as a result of the move from the Big East to the Big 12 this year and the $20 million exit fee that was paid to the Big East by WVU.

Quote:
I answered this question the last thread you guys came into. Not every player will go pro. Education gives them a future after athletics.
That is still relevant to the actual athletics. It MIGHT be relevant to an individual, but to the program and for the fans it is 100% irrelevant. If that is the BEST argument you can come up with you are just proving my point. So I will give you one more chance. Please tell me again how academics are relevant to the actual football.

Also many of these players shouldnt be in these schools to begin with and are only there because they can play football. Furthermore it is often the case they are hardly in class, or even study much. The system is designed to let players who wouldnt normally get into these schools basically pass all their classes with putting in much effort. Their majors are often communications, health physical fitness, personal training type majors, etc. In these programs the academic reputation is pretty irrelevant, which is irrelevant to begin with to football itself.

So to conclude there is a reason the Patriot League or the Ivy league are not big football conferences. Football fans dont care about the academics. Hell, even the ACC doesnt care about academics, they chose athletics over football when they let FSU and Lville in. Personally they made a smart move, it is about the football.

Generally these people that bring up academics are from 3 or 4 schools in the ACC who arent taken very seriously in football so they try to throw in their former academic reputation, which is now over by the way, to try and make their athletic program look better.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,345,014 times
Ok nobody cares about the athletes, these scores are for the entire campus NOT just the athletes.

Let's just talk about the COLLEGES involved with COLLEGE football. Is anyone at all interested in the breakdown of the fan bases or anything? TAMU's kids seem to be somewhat bright hehehe

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Ok nobody cares about the athletes, these scores are for the entire campus NOT just the athletes.

Let's just talk about the COLLEGES involved with COLLEGE football. Is anyone at all interested in the breakdown of the fan bases or anything? TAMU's kids seem to be somewhat bright hehehe
You are in the wrong forum then. This is the CB football forum. I suggest you go to the education forum and go to the college/university subforum. In there no one will care about football.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Did you even read the article you linked to, it refutes you.
Thanks for quoting the part of the article where it mentioned their record deficit.

The best part...
Quote:
There's some little stuff that adds to the debt—like settling with Florida State for $500,000 after the scheduled series was canceled.
This sums it up...
Quote:
“We have greater expense — traveling, recruiting, salaries are going up, one less football game and we are not at full share in the conference,” Parsons said. “Our challenges will be over the next three years, rather than last year."
Too bad for Parsons and WVU as this will go on more than the 3 years.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for quoting the part of the article where it mentioned their record deficit.

The best part...

This sums it up...

Too bad for Parsons and WVU as this will go on more than the 3 years.

Yep I linked to the part of the article where itentions then deficit is caused by a onetime exit fee from the big east. The article also mentions revenue is higher than ever.

Thanks for demonstrating that being a football fan doesn't correlate to academics, in your case math or reading comprehension.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Quote:

Yep I linked to the part of the article where itentions then deficit is caused by a onetime exit fee from the big east. The article also mentions revenue is higher than ever.

Thanks for demonstrating that being a football fan doesn't correlate to academics, in your case math or reading comprehension.
No need for attacks. You would realize that that higher revenue is a one time kind of thing; thanks to the WVU foundation and Rich Rodriguez departure. You would also realize the exit fee lasts more than 1 year since they took out loans to pay it.

PS Enjoy our leftovers. Clint Trickett is starting next week for you. He wouldn't even be suiting up if still on roster.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You are in the wrong forum then. This is the CB football forum. I suggest you go to the education forum and go to the college/university subforum. In there no one will care about football.
All I'm saying is that some fans are actually students at these schools and stuff like this matters to people who get their degree from (insert "football team" here)

It's all interlinked. If you didn't attend any of these schools/don't have any relations to these schools then, yeah, I guess its not really interesting. Well, maybe it's interesting if your school tends to top the rankings.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
No need for attacks. You would realize that that higher revenue is a one time kind of thing; thanks to the WVU foundation and Rich Rodriguez departure. You would also realize the exit fee lasts more than 1 year since they took out loans to pay it.

PS Enjoy our leftovers. Clint Trickett is starting next week for you. He wouldn't even be suiting up if still on roster.

You do realize they make millions more every year and the exit fee is pretty much paid off. Your own article says as much. In fact per your own article revenue is at a record high, they just had to pay an exit fee.

Enjoy making chump change for a program that barely makes money. You are the minimum wage workers of football.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 09-28-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
All I'm saying is that some fans are actually students at these schools and stuff like this matters to people who get their degree from (insert "football team" here)

It's all interlinked. If you didn't attend any of these schools/don't have any relations to these schools then, yeah, I guess its not really interesting. Well, maybe it's interesting if your school tends to top the rankings.
Not for the football games. The academics of a school DO NOT matter at a football game or to the football program. So yes to SOME fans, a very few ACC fans who dont like their football reputations and perhaps even fewer Big 10 schools, this matters. It matters in the same way that the average height of a student matters to a football game.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 09-28-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Soo now that it's peak football season and application season..I'm bumping up this thread.

BIG 10 table has apparently been added. They have ranking and research info there too. I was surprised to see Pac-12 top BIG 10 academically.

I'm equally surprised to see how many of these schools are so far above the national average
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or