U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Not a good look for college football this past weekend if you ask me. Miami, Louisville, Baylor and Ohio State all score at least 70 points and completely destroy clearly inferior teams. Miami and Savannah State agree to play a shorter 4th quarter. Ohio State out gains Florida A&M 608 to 80.

This is what happens when you have teams scared to schedule legitimate non-conference teams because they know a loss will ruin their chances to play for the national title and they want to play as few true road games as possible. If I were these weak schools, I would demand higher payments for taking the beatings.
That's the only reason it's done in the first place. It gives the Have Nots a chance to have at least one game where there is a significant revenue stream.

I agree though....it's ridiculous some of the teams that the Juggernauts are playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM

8,260 posts, read 9,553,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The reason for "creampuff games" is obvious -- and financial. The alumni of the powerhuse schoools head back to Lincoln, or Ann Arbor, or Happy Valley, and bring a ton of disposable dollars along with them, which in turn bolsters the economy of college-centered communities.

It hurts no one, and improves the daily lives of many. Who invited a buch of self-appointed aesthetes to sit in judgement?
I don't think the alumni of "power house' schools go back to watch Miami beat Savannah St. 77-7, or Ohio st beat Florida A&M 76-0 There is no advantage to a divsion 1 power to be playing these schedules.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,757,629 times
Cream puff games will be reduced if and when the new playoff system places a far greater emphasis in the strength of schedule.

The networks are now paying huge dollars for college football and they need to have more than one or two attractive matchup games every week.

I believe the Big Ten has already taken steps to eliminate scheduling FCS teams after 2015.

If the new system places a lot of credence in strength of schedule, teams wont have to shy away from a tougher schedule for fear of losing one game------come on, its about time matchups start improving.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The reason for "creampuff games" is obvious -- and financial. The alumni of the powerhuse schoools head back to Lincoln, or Ann Arbor, or Happy Valley, and bring a ton of disposable dollars along with them, which in turn bolsters the economy of college-centered communities.

It hurts no one, and improves the daily lives of many. Who invited a buch of self-appointed aesthetes to sit in judgement?
Ah Yes...the Almighty DOLLAR, the real how and why of college football. Forget tradition, forget the triumph of the amateur and the allure of athleticism for athletic's sake.... College football bring not only notoriety but funds as well.

Case in point, which is the more famous college...Notre Dame, or MIT? Most would say Notre Dame, but MIT ranks first in many fields, including quantum physics. Only at Notre Dame, tens of thousands appear to watch a football game while at MIT, tens of tens appear to hear about a new discovery which may eventually lead to interplanetary travel.

I do not like Creampuff games either, but I know that when the Alumni appear they want to see a win, and what better way to assure a win than by playing home games against schools like Welseley College and the Missouri School for the Blind? Happens in College Station all the time. Plus, it allows for a winning season in those all important final standings when Bowl Bids are handed out. I remember hearing Jackie Sherrill once talk about this when he was coaching at Texas A&M. The school had season after season of losing records, so the first thing he did was lighten the schedule. He said that if you play 10 games, 8 should be easy victories, and two should go either way. SO he started playing the two above mentioned schools and the alumni responded with "Uh...Wow...he gots us that there winnin' team uh huh " (For those how do not know, Texas A&M is the state Redneck school, a place where those with brains but the social graces of cowpokes can study subjects which would otherwise be laughed at in trailer parks across the state.)

Anyway, getting to a bowl requires wins, and Bowl Games mean BIG BUCKS So why not assure a bowl game by playing teams that are easy to beat. It makes the alumni happy, they see the team win, they don;t know the difference, they put their money down and leave happy. It makes a team look a lot better than they really are.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 PM

6,535 posts, read 4,486,193 times
I will cut them some slack and say unlike basketball where schools will usually have a couple scrimmages and then a couple of exhibition games before the start of the season, there's no scrimmages/exhibition games in football. The Bama game vs. Tennessee-Martin week 1 is basically an "exhibition" game for Bama, only thing is that game will count unlike the scrimmage the Bama basketball team might play against Tennessee-Martin. I realize Bama didn't play Martin week 1 this year I was giving an example. Most conference should be starting conference play this week or next, so you won't see anymore "creampuff" games until the week before Thanksgiving. Pretty much the only reason to play a "creampuff" game after week 2 is if you had a school drop you from their schedule, so instead of having an extra bye and only playing 11 games, you can probably only fill that open slot with a Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville state, Northern Arizona type "creampuff" team since all the FBS teams already have their schedules filled playing conference games this week.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,387,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Ah Yes...the Almighty DOLLAR, the real how and why of college football. Forget tradition, forget the triumph of the amateur and the allure of athleticism for athletic's sake.... College football bring not only notoriety but funds as well.

Case in point, which is the more famous college...Notre Dame, or MIT? Most would say Notre Dame, but MIT ranks first in many fields, including quantum physics. Only at Notre Dame, tens of thousands appear to watch a football game while at MIT, tens of tens appear to hear about a new discovery which may eventually lead to interplanetary travel.

I do not like Creampuff games either, but I know that when the Alumni appear they want to see a win, and what better way to assure a win than by playing home games against schools like Welseley College and the Missouri School for the Blind? Happens in College Station all the time. Plus, it allows for a winning season in those all important final standings when Bowl Bids are handed out. I remember hearing Jackie Sherrill once talk about this when he was coaching at Texas A&M. The school had season after season of losing records, so the first thing he did was lighten the schedule. He said that if you play 10 games, 8 should be easy victories, and two should go either way. SO he started playing the two above mentioned schools and the alumni responded with "Uh...Wow...he gots us that there winnin' team uh huh " (For those how do not know, Texas A&M is the state Redneck school, a place where those with brains but the social graces of cowpokes can study subjects which would otherwise be laughed at in trailer parks across the state.)

Anyway, getting to a bowl requires wins, and Bowl Games mean BIG BUCKS So why not assure a bowl game by playing teams that are easy to beat. It makes the alumni happy, they see the team win, they don;t know the difference, they put their money down and leave happy. It makes a team look a lot better than they really are.
I like your post but I disagree that ND is more famous than MIT. They are famous for different things, with ND being famous for football and MIT for academics, although ND is a good school too. Worldwide I would imagine MIT is more well known. Academics and football are pretty unrelated things. Also ND is in a unique position that many of its supporters are not alumni, or even went to any college. It has a country wise following of catholics who may live in different states and never went to college. They could care less about academics.

I agree with the rest, although there are exceptions in the better conferences.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I will cut them some slack and say unlike basketball where schools will usually have a couple scrimmages and then a couple of exhibition games before the start of the season, there's no scrimmages/exhibition games in football. The Bama game vs. Tennessee-Martin week 1 is basically an "exhibition" game for Bama, only thing is that game will count unlike the scrimmage the Bama basketball team might play against Tennessee-Martin. I realize Bama didn't play Martin week 1 this year I was giving an example. Most conference should be starting conference play this week or next, so you won't see anymore "creampuff" games until the week before Thanksgiving. Pretty much the only reason to play a "creampuff" game after week 2 is if you had a school drop you from their schedule, so instead of having an extra bye and only playing 11 games, you can probably only fill that open slot with a Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville state, Northern Arizona type "creampuff" team since all the FBS teams already have their schedules filled playing conference games this week.
Most conferences are creampuff though. That is not the case for the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and the PAC but outside of them everyone most teams are creampuff.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Most conferences are creampuff though. That is not the case for the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and the PAC but outside of them everyone most teams are creampuff.
Is FCS North Dakota State in the Big 12
Is FCS Northern Iowa in the Big 12
Is 1-2 BYU in the Big 12
Is 1-2 Rice in the Big 12

Maryland says Hi!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Is FCS North Dakota State in the Big 12
Is FCS Northern Iowa in the Big 12
Is 1-2 BYU in the Big 12
Is 1-2 Rice in the Big 12

Maryland says Hi!
Tell MD I said hey!

You dont know what teams are in the Big 12?

Here is a list.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,727,955 times
On a positive note, it allowed 2 college coaches to go at each other ( verbally ) after the game.

Idaho vs Washington State

( I was pulling for Mike Leach to punch out Petrino )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football