Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,479,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
College football is such a joke. Four weeks into the season and the top ranked powerhouses are still playing county community colleges. Seven of the ranked teams ran up 50+ points yesterday, one scored 77 in three periods and could have easily gone over 100. One team is averaging 70 points a game for the whole season so far and reached that yesterday in the third quarter.. A second string QB threw 6 touchdown passes in the first half alone. This is just stupid, pointless scheduling. One third of the way through the season, and 27 of the top 100 teams are still undefeated. The BCS teams basically play about 8 games against real opponents. If it weren't for the mercy of the thing, the Georgia Tech record of a 222-0 win over Cumberland would be in jeopardy.
Are you writing Savannah State a $350k check and FAMU a $950k check? The ADs in question are grown-ups. They signed the contracts willingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Well the only reason Ohio State scheduled FCS opponent Florida A&M was that back in 2012, Vanderbilt backed out of a deal to play a game this week in Columbus. The Buckeyes had to schedule somebody and no FBS teams were interested/available on such short notice.

It wasn't their wish at all to schedule a creampuff, but a win is a win and the FCS program they played got a nice big payday out of it. It might be the largest single infusion of cash that FCS program will see in this decade.
Right! If it allows some college students to play a few more years of football until that dream ends and they have to get into the real world, so be it. I remember that story about Long Beach State when Terrell Davis was there. Those players had to buy their own cleats! He was shocked at how this worked when he transferred to Georgia. Why not take advantage and grab a piece of the pie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Nebraska blew out South Dakota State using two back up QBs. Seems the seat got a little cooler for Bo Pelini. He won't be off the hot seat until they stop being obliterated in the big games.
Not much cooler. SDSU gained about 450 yards on the Huskers. I think they relished the challenge and that game was close for a bit, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
That is exactly the problem.

Non-conference games dont matter that much for BCS contender schools,
The cool thing is for these D1-AA schools is that losing 77-0 doesn't matter if they are any good and make the playoffs. Bethune Cookman tagged FIU, so I don't think they really are sweating losing to Florida State. They're pretty good this season and they got paid twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I don't think the alumni of "power house' schools go back to watch Miami beat Savannah St. 77-7, or Ohio st beat Florida A&M 76-0 There is no advantage to a divsion 1 power to be playing these schedules.
Sure. Once again, though, it is a willing arrangement. Just wait for bouncyball season when smaller schools have 15 straight games on the road to start the season to pay the bills. I promise the $950k FAMU got outweighs that venture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,374,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

Not much cooler. SDSU gained about 450 yards on the Huskers. I think they relished the challenge and that game was close for a bit, I believe.

It was 17-14 SDSU in the 1st quarter. I think one of SDSU's RBs got 200ish yards in that game. With this group of Huskers, 450 is a respectable number.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,827,764 times
FCS schools do occasionally beat FBS schools.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ull-23m-upsets

Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,713,746 times
A local newswriter whom I suspect to be an Auburn fan recently wrote a scathing piece deriding Bama for playing Georgia State this Saturday. My guess that despite the patronizing Bama puff pieces he's written lately he had secretly hoped Bama would have lost once or maybe twice by now and that his beloved Tigers would have the same or better record. Now that it isnt going to happen at this point he thinks playing a cream puff for homecoming is just too far.beneath them and that they should be ashamed. Alabama has played marquee openers on the road against ranked or reputable opponents for as long as Saban has been there. And this year the next couple of games weren't against pushovers. It is not like some of these schools that schedule 2 or 3 in a row and run up video game scores as if the other player isnt even there.

Les Miles wanted Bama to stop playing Tennessee because they are a gimmee at this point.

They both of course think theres nothing soft about their schedules.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 PM

16,384 posts, read 30,190,311 times
If you are going to do that, does that mean that Ohio State will not play Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, or Indiana?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM

811 posts, read 808,190 times
Today's games have served no purpose but to serve as background noise

Sadly 2013 has been a rather forgettable season overall

Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,713,746 times
Background noise?

GA vs TN was a good game.
OSU vs NWestern was too.
AU vs Ole Miss was interesting.

Im sure there were several more that qualified as entertainment and consequential.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,856,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Background noise?

GA vs TN was a good game.
OSU vs NWestern was too.
AU vs Ole Miss was interesting.

Im sure there were several more that qualified as entertainment and consequential.
Okie State and KSU was pretty good
Wash/Stanford went right to the end
SMU/Rutgers was damn exciting

Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,965,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Well the only reason Ohio State scheduled FCS opponent Florida A&M was that back in 2012, Vanderbilt backed out of a deal to play a game this week in Columbus. The Buckeyes had to schedule somebody and no FBS teams were interested/available on such short notice.

It wasn't their wish at all to schedule a creampuff, but a win is a win and the FCS program they played got a nice big payday out of it. It might be the largest single infusion of cash that FCS program will see in this decade.
Ohio State "doesn't play the little sisters of the poor", they "play very fine schools on any given day".

Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,965,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Not a good look for college football this past weekend if you ask me. Miami, Louisville, Baylor and Ohio State all score at least 70 points and completely destroy clearly inferior teams. Miami and Savannah State agree to play a shorter 4th quarter. Ohio State out gains Florida A&M 608 to 80.

This is what happens when you have teams scared to schedule legitimate non-conference teams because they know a loss will ruin their chances to play for the national title and they want to play as few true road games as possible. If I were these weak schools, I would demand higher payments for taking the beatings.
A lot of those schools were scared to schedule Boise State.

They must be kicking themselves now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football