U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,383,576 times

Advertisements

Ive heard a lot of commentary for Auburn vs Ole Miss but it really comes down to the fact that Auburn gets to see how they stack up against Alabama transitively through Ole Miss. I think Auburn will win a close one mainly because Ole Miss wont be as pumped up as they were last week and because Auburn is one of the luckiest teams on the planet. If the game is close there will be some freak play where the ball takes some wacky bounce or tip or the eagle gets loose and a field goal bounces off of it or whatever and Auburn will win. Otherwise if last weeks Ole Miss shows up Auburn will lose by 14.

I just hope that guy that has called in JOX and said Aubrun is 10x better the Alabama calls back in if Auburn doesnt win 250 to 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 05:40 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ive heard a lot of commentary for Auburn vs Ole Miss but it really comes down to the fact that Auburn gets to see how they stack up against Alabama transitively through Ole Miss. I think Auburn will win a close one mainly because Ole Miss wont be as pumped up as they were last week and because Auburn is one of the luckiest teams on the planet. If the game is close there will be some freak play where the ball takes some wacky bounce or tip or the eagle gets loose and a field goal bounces off of it or whatever and Auburn will win. Otherwise if last weeks Ole Miss shows up Auburn will lose by 14.

I just hope that guy that has called in JOX and said Aubrun is 10x better the Alabama calls back in if Auburn doesnt win 250 to 0.
Ive been back and forward on this game all week, but im starting to lean Ole Miss. Even though they were exposed last week against Bama, this is much larger game and a sense of urgency for Ole Miss. Also Ole Miss will be able to score on Auburn. For Auburn they almost have to play a perfect game, meaning no turnovers, major penalties, etc.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Some early predictions

Georgia State 3
#1 Alabama 40

Tennessee 10
#6 UGA 38

#24 Ole Miss 24
Auburn 21

Arkansas 7
#18 Florida 17

#10 LSU 35
Mississippi State 21

Missouri 31
Vanderbilt 28

Kentucky 10
#13 South Carolina 21
Final predictions

Georgia State 7
#1 Alabama 49

Tennessee 10
#6 UGA 38

#10 LSU 35
Mississippi State 17

Kentucky 14
#13 South Carolina 28

Arkansas 17
#18 Florida 27

#24 Ole Miss 27
Auburn 20

Missouri 28
Vanderbilt 27

Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

The transitive property has never worked in college football, chiefly because every team is different every week. Add morale and some idiot such as Bo Wallace giving the other team bulletin board material, and it's really hard to compare.

I mean, beating Georgia at the beginning of the season was a serious accomplishment. Now, with the team riddled by injuries at critical positions, the Bulldogs are vulnerable.

Meanwhile, I sense Alabama has some chinks in its armor that nobody is really discussing. If they beat LSU handily, then I'll be convinced.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM

I know it doesnt work but it doesnt stop the average Auburn fan from using it. Looking forward to AU vs Johnny Automatic Teller Machine

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 AM

My goodness ive hit a nerve.

ill just pick the wheat from the chaff here.

1. I listen to jox and I go by what the auburn callers and from what Al Del Greco says to determine that auburn fans were excited to see how they stacked up against a team that had just recently played Bama. It shouldnt really be that much of a stretch. A lot of credivle sports analysts indulge in this practice.. Yes they all admit teams are different week to week but to summarily dismiss it in your case is suspect.

2. I can not help that there wasnt a consensus national champion back in the old days. If some poll somewhere back then voted bama number 1 and the school choose to run with it so be it. There are several they could claim that they dont. Deal with it or dont. I really dont care. Lots of fans cry about this particularly auburn fans.

3. Cam newton. The rules said to disqualify him. He created a loophole, they let him go through it and closed it after he passed. He should have been disqualified but again I dont care its done and over and shouldn't happen again because now they say they REALLY mean it that a kids parents cant shop him and receive money whether he knows it or not. Which he did...

Old 10-09-2013, 03:30 PM

16,532 posts, read 20,994,530 times
Thread re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-10-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,789,103 times
Why is Bama's schedule so weak?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Bama makes most any opponent look weak.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,345,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why is Bama's schedule so weak?
By the same token, how is LSU ranked so high? Their quality of wins, or lack thereof, befuddles me as to how they're now #6.

TCU, UAB, Kent St, and a 3-3 Miss St are hardly brag-worthy. Wins over Auburn and Florida are more notable, but those two teams have yet to prove themselves.

And a loss to a growing rag-tag Georgia team that struggled against Tennessee, needed all 4 quarters to beat my alma mater AT HOME, and finally loss to Mizzou?

Sorry, but I don't see anything top-10 about LSU. Top 15, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football