Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay to firing Paul Pasqualoni
Yay 7 87.50%
Nay 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,773,757 times

Advertisements

The firing of Paul Pasqualoni: Yay or Nay?

I say Nay because this is UConn we are talking about. I dont think you can get a better coach who will be more loyal than Pasqualoni. He is Conn Native, and has a proven record at Cuse. But he was able to better recruit at Cuse because it was a decent program then.

When he first came to Storrs, he inherited Edsall's players, and has been using them. He has not really had a chance to show what he can do with the guys he recruits. Maybe some are playing this year, but they are noobs.

I would have given him a fourth year. Any recruit he has will at least have a year under their belt by then. Then we can see what he can do.

Plus, now who are we going to get. Greg Schiano maybe? I dont think he will be in Tampa very long. Boy Schiano must be crapping himself everyday because Rutgers is now in the B1G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM

203 posts, read 325,399 times
Yay
MacPherson took a struggling Syracuse program and got them back to prominence. Pasqualoni took that program and let it fall apart over time. UConn should not have hired him in the first place.

Id rather have a young, unproven but driven coach than one that is stale.

If Edsall stayed with UConn they would probably be in the ACC right now. As it is, UConn might be better off joining the MAC as the 14th team in Football, and the Big East in all other sports.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 PM

9,704 posts, read 7,376,270 times
YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY. I HATED the hire the day it happened. The guy was terrible at Cuse; sure he has a good record, but it got inflated, because he coached some guy named Donovan McNabb for 4 years. I don't know if you've heard of him or not, but it turns out he was pretty damn good. After he left is when the program went into the dumps, and he's taking another program (UConn) with him on the way out. I threw out 2 names the other day, neither of which will happen, but if UConn wants to put itself on the map they'd have to at least talk to these two people seeing if they would come in for an interview. One of them just got fired this week and the other is likely to get fired sooner rather then later.

1 candidate would be the recently fired Lane Kiffin. Sure, this is a bit out of LF, but here me out: It's obvious Kiffin can't coach big time football right now BUT he stays in the FBS ranks, and could work his way back up the coaching ladder until some power conference school stupidly hires him. It would also give UConn a "big time" coach and maybe could get some 3 star recruits. I know this is definitely NOT happening, but good to talk about.
The second candidate should be the soon-to-be-fired Greg Schiano who's likely NOT going to be coaching the Buccaneers in 2014, and may not even make it through all of this season. He has roots in the Northeast coaching at Rutgers AND resurrected a completely dead program from the ashes to put in the building blocks for where they are today. Not quite as big as Kiffin this would still be a "big" hire for UConn. Still not likely for this to happen either, but at least more plausible then Kiffin and would generate noise and get recruits to Storrs.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM

What is Jeff Jagodzinski doing right now? He beat Miami when he was at BC. What about Rich Rod?

But even still, I dont think PP had enough time. He did not get the chance to use most of his own recruits.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,645,336 times
A Syracuse alum's take on Pasqualoni (or Paul Pass The Baloney, depending on who you talk to).......

Coach P's a good dude! He was a great recruiter in the beginning (McNabb, Harrison, Konrad, Tebucky Jones, Darius, Johnson, Bullock, Freeney). I do believe that the failure to recruit Michael Vick, though, was the beginning of the end of him at Cuse! Him and Cuse's program had a hard time recovering from that! Now, Cuse goes on and hires Greg Robinson, making the football worse at the time!

But Coach P might be the reason why Jason Whitten's going to Canton! (he developed him early on, as Cowboys TE coach!). But unfortunately, at UConn, things didn't work! But dude does have proven highs that go with the lows!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM

9,704 posts, read 7,376,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is Jeff Jagodzinski doing right now? He beat Miami when he was at BC. What about Rich Rod?

But even still, I dont think PP had enough time. He did not get the chance to use most of his own recruits.

Rich Rod is at Arizona and is doing surprisingly well. No prayer he leaves that for Storrs.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Rich Rod is at Arizona and is doing surprisingly well. No prayer he leaves that for Storrs.
Oh for some reason I thought he was fired from there and is HC jobless.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
A Syracuse alum's take on Pasqualoni (or Paul Pass The Baloney, depending on who you talk to).......

Coach P's a good dude! He was a great recruiter in the beginning (McNabb, Harrison, Konrad, Tebucky Jones, Darius, Johnson, Bullock, Freeney). I do believe that the failure to recruit Michael Vick, though, was the beginning of the end of him at Cuse! Him and Cuse's program had a hard time recovering from that! Now, Cuse goes on and hires Greg Robinson, making the football worse at the time!

But Coach P might be the reason why Jason Whitten's going to Canton! (he developed him early on, as Cowboys TE coach!). But unfortunately, at UConn, things didn't work! But dude does have proven highs that go with the lows!
Things is, nowadays HC are expected to win right away and with kids they dont know or recruited. It is like the NFL now.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM

And you know what I really like Coach Pasqualoni. But this is just sad. Upon his firing, the players express their approval of this.

2012 UConn LB Jory Johnson On Pasqualoni’s Firing: “Finally” | College Spun – Social. Local. Consumable. College Sports.

If a team is doing bad, it is always more on the shoulders of the players than anyone else because they are the ones out there supposed to make the plays. They are the ones who are not fast enough, or strong enough, or smart enough to make the plays.

Changing the coach is not going to automatically make a team better right away until those current players graduate, and the new kids the new coach brings in plays. But no one is getting enough time to do this now.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,953,482 times
Pasqualoni should never have been hired to begin with. And that goes triple for that idiot George DeLeone who was a complete disaster.

Despite being blindsided by Edsall after the BCS game, UConn needed to go younger and more aggressive with an up and coming assistant or a top coach from a non-BCS school. Far as I'm concerned, hiring Pasqualoni/DeLeone was a signal to all involved in CR that UConn wasn't serious in developing a big time football program.

Maybe UConn doesn't bounce back quickly. Maybe it does. But there was absolutely no confidence in the fan base that Pasqualoni was the guy. UConn had to fire DeLeone anyway and PP wouldn't have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football