Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

I realize they are a necessary evil. But it's just bizarre how they take over the game and then drive matters for the entire sport over the course of a season.

Need an example? Clemson was absolutely bushwhacked last night by FSU. I mean, absolutely panted on the fifty-yard line. Humiliated. Yet, despite the fact that Clemons was found absolutely wanting, completely unmanned by the Seminoles, they didn't drop out of the top ten. I mean, Clemson gave absolutely no indication that it could hang with any Top 20 team, it's still hanging out at #10. Top Ten teams do not allow over teams to rack up 51 on them at home. And, before you call that a fluke, remember West Virginia's 70 point sodomizing of them last year in the Orange Bowl.

Another example? Auburn beats Texas A&M at home, has one fewer loss than Texas A&M, has played a tougher slate of opponents than Texas A&M, but sits at 15th while Auburn sits at 17th?

And the list goes on. I mean, we're not even talking about teams that you cannot slip a piece of paper between in terms of quality. We're talking about teams that have either proved their quality or failed on the national stage, yet do not have rankings that reflect that.

So, if you were the Commissioner of NCAA football, what would you do? I would suggest the following:

To me, it should be no polls until halfway through the season. Too many teams get a free pass because they start out the season at the top of the poll, and so get to hang out in the top twenty despite 2-3 losses. Meanwhile, teams that began outside of the top 20 have to pretty much claw their way in despite a good overall body of work.

At least if you start things halfway through the season you have to start the top twenty from scratch. In other words, you don't have people saying, "Well, they were third last week and lost, so I'm going to drop them six," even though it creates inherent contradictions in the polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I realize they are a necessary evil. But it's just bizarre how they take over the game and then drive matters for the entire sport over the course of a season.

Need an example? Clemson was absolutely bushwhacked last night by FSU. I mean, absolutely panted on the fifty-yard line. Humiliated. Yet, despite the fact that Clemons was found absolutely wanting, completely unmanned by the Seminoles, they didn't drop out of the top ten. I mean, Clemson gave absolutely no indication that it could hang with any Top 20 team, it's still hanging out at #10. Top Ten teams do not allow over teams to rack up 51 on them at home. And, before you call that a fluke, remember West Virginia's 70 point sodomizing of them last year in the Orange Bowl.

Another example? Auburn beats Texas A&M at home, has one fewer loss than Texas A&M, has played a tougher slate of opponents than Texas A&M, but sits at 15th while Auburn sits at 17th?

And the list goes on. I mean, we're not even talking about teams that you cannot slip a piece of paper between in terms of quality. We're talking about teams that have either proved their quality or failed on the national stage, yet do not have rankings that reflect that.

So, if you were the Commissioner of NCAA football, what would you do? I would suggest the following:

To me, it should be no polls until halfway through the season. Too many teams get a free pass because they start out the season at the top of the poll, and so get to hang out in the top twenty despite 2-3 losses. Meanwhile, teams that began outside of the top 20 have to pretty much claw their way in despite a good overall body of work.

At least if you start things halfway through the season you have to start the top twenty from scratch. In other words, you don't have people saying, "Well, they were third last week and lost, so I'm going to drop them six," even though it creates inherent contradictions in the polls.
West Virgina lost to Syracuse 38-14 last year in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl (lol). Clemson was 2 years ago when Boyd was a sophomore. If Clemson played West Virginia today, Clemson would win ugly.

The reason Clemson is still that high in the polls is the only loss was last night to a great team. They beat a Georgia team that actually had their best offensive player on the field i.e. Todd Gurley; he has been injured the past so many games.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
West Virgina lost to Syracuse 38-14 last year in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl (lol). Clemson was 2 years ago when Boyd was a sophomore. If Clemson played West Virginia today, Clemson would win ugly.

The reason Clemson is still that high in the polls is the only loss was last night to a great team. They beat a Georgia team that actually had their best offensive player on the field i.e. Todd Gurley; he has been injured the past so many games.
Duh. You're right. That just shows how ugly that loss was, it's remains that fresh in my mind. More to the point, sorry, a top ten team does not implode like that.

Hey, shootouts I kind of get. But that was a complete system failure. Top ten teams do not have complete system failures.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Syracuse was a Big East team at the time. Chances are even it sorry state WV could probably crush most ACC teams. Like the poster said polls are a joke and it is based off a cupcake ACC schedule. That is why the ACC is a joke conference.

lol, that is why the all cupcake conference makes no money, because they are a weak football conference.

FSU is not proven to be a great team. They play all cupcakes teams. Maybe they are good, but they have yet to actually play a good team and prove it. This just goes to show how weak the ACC is. The #2 team in the nation gets destroyed by a team that hasnt beat anyone good in years. The only reason Clemson got ranked so high was because they are ACC, samething with FSU. If they played in a better conference they would be ranked much lower or unranked. It is doubtfull that any ACC teams should be ranked at all, but since they get a BCS autobid and mainly play each other they get ranked.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:

That is college football and the reason for the any saturday saying. Teams matchup differently when you have so wide a span of talent spread on any team.Just as a example think of A&M with out Johnny Football.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Need an example? Clemson was absolutely bushwhacked last night by FSU. I mean, absolutely panted on the fifty-yard line. Humiliated. Yet, despite the fact that Clemons was found absolutely wanting, completely unmanned by the Seminoles, they didn't drop out of the top ten.
Not to defend Clemson one bit (I'm a Gamecock man here, and don't get me started on them either) but the Tigers were helped in how many other Top 15 teams lost last week. Ordinarily, I bet they would have fallen to about 13 at the highest. Five Top 10 teams alone lost. They all had to fall somewhere. It is interesting that Clemson loses by 37 and drops five positions down while South Carolina loses by 2 on a last second field goal and drops 11 positions. On the other hand, just win your games and the polls will handle themselves.

I don't think Mizou will last much longer. Maybe they beat South Carolina this weekend, but I expect they won't end the season very close to #7 in the nation.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
This is why we need a REAL playoff system just like the FCS schools do.

(Yes, that can of worms )

Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Once the final whistle blew I told my wife TAMU would still be ranked higher then Auburn. She didnt know what to say or cared really as she was too happy they won. Teams that come out of the cellar have a tougher row to hoe then ones that start out higher. Its always been that way. 15 -17 is about a push as it gets in rankings so just be glad you dont have to play Johnny gimme me anymore and win out and things will take care of themselves. Their only other loss was to the number 1 team and it isnt like Auburn beat the brakes off of em.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:

No, they're not. We don’t need them at all. A simple point system will do and it will be more honest. As an example, a BCS team gets a certain amount of points for a win or loss depending on whether or not it is at home, away or a neutral site. That score is weighted depending on a figure given to each team and their record. If it is a non BCS and/or D-2 team the weighted score is less. This encourages teams to play more BCS teams. The added weight on that figure for wins/losses would be small and neutral for in-conference teams as they have to be played. The idea is to both encourage and aid teams who play a tougher non conference schedule and not let them hide behind the "we have to play high school teams at home because our conference is just so hard". But if a team wants to play 3 high school teams, they will not have as good of an accumulated score and will probably not see the playoffs unless undefeated and conference champ.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
It was an ugly loss, but it's still only a single loss at this point, and Clemson had already defeated last year's SEC runner-up, and this was after having defeated the LSU Tigers, who usually win the Chick-Fil-A bowl by a minimum of two touchdowns. Clemson's probably barely a top ten team - barely. FSU's for real. This was their signature win that they've been looking for over the past four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football