Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Absolutely no way a one loss team jumps an undefeated AQ team.

Not when the undefeated is in an atrocious conference and the 1 loss comes out of the SEC.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Not when the undefeated is in an atrocious conference and the 1 loss comes out of the SEC.
Not a chance. You really believe that a one loss sec team will finish ahead of an undefeated tOSU and/or an undefeated FSU? Seriously? The bcs is pretty bad but it ain't that bad.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, all they did was prove that Clemson wasn't the #3 team in the nation. That game is an excellent argument why there shouldn't be polls until the halfway point of the season.
You'd have a point, if Clemson weren't still ranked number 6. Whether they're actually a number six or a number 10 is still up for debate, but at present, Clemson outranks about every team that Ohio State has played to date, and FSU thrashed them from the opening kick-off.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Not a chance. You really believe that a one loss sec team will finish ahead of an undefeated tOSU and/or an undefeated FSU? Seriously? The bcs is pretty bad but it ain't that bad.
The odds are it wouldn't happen, but it could happen under certain circumstances. For instance, let's say Ohio State struggles against Michigan and Michigan State. Michigan State would be an impressive win any way you look at it, but if Ohio State struggles against both teams, then people are going to wonder how they'd face against an out of conference. If Alabama loses, I think they'd be the odd-team out, because there would be no way for them to leapfrog over the winner of Auburn-Mizzou. The winner of the SEC title game would be very much in contention. After all, they would have survived the thick of the conference schedule, having won in the conference that has held the BCS title for 7 consecutive years.

Keep in mind, all of the same arguments that people are using to defend an undefeated Ohio State are exactly the same ones people made to defend a Notre Dame team that went undefeated but didn't look pretty doing it. And everyone remembers their drubbing by 1-loss Alabama. Everyone remembers how OSU got curb-stomped by 2-loss LSU, too. Sports writers don't want to expose a national audience to that again.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:32 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The odds are it wouldn't happen, but it could happen under certain circumstances. For instance, let's say Ohio State struggles against Michigan and Michigan State. Michigan State would be an impressive win any way you look at it, but if Ohio State struggles against both teams, then people are going to wonder how they'd face against an out of conference. If Alabama loses, I think they'd be the odd-team out, because there would be no way for them to leapfrog over the winner of Auburn-Mizzou. The winner of the SEC title game would be very much in contention. After all, they would have survived the thick of the conference schedule, having won in the conference that has held the BCS title for 7 consecutive years.

Keep in mind, all of the same arguments that people are using to defend an undefeated Ohio State are exactly the same ones people made to defend a Notre Dame team that went undefeated but didn't look pretty doing it. And everyone remembers their drubbing by 1-loss Alabama. Everyone remembers how OSU got curb-stomped by 2-loss LSU, too. Sports writers don't want to expose a national audience to that again.
And both auburn and mizzou would have losses against a 3 loss LSU team. No way that will trump the 2 undefeated teams from the B1G and ACC. It ain't going to happen this year. I'm shocked that there are people out there that think it would.

Fwiw I don't think tOSU wins out. So the sec champ will most likely still get in the bcs mncg. And of course this all moot if Bama wins out. Lol.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
And both auburn and mizzou would have losses against a 3 loss LSU team. No way that will trump the 2 undefeated teams from the B1G and ACC. It ain't going to happen this year. I'm shocked that there are people out there that think it would.

Fwiw I don't think tOSU wins out. So the sec champ will most likely still get in the bcs mncg. And of course this all moot if Bama wins out. Lol.
Auburn, not Mizzou.

Mizzou would be a 12-1 team, having beaten everyone except South Carolina, to whom they lost in the closing seconds and having to play without their original starting QB (back-up's filled in nicely since, though). I think Mizzou has quietly put together an extremely impressive season, and I think one could argue that winning the Southeastern Conference with a single close-shave loss would in some ways be more impressive than going undefeated in a conference that hasn't had a big winner in a long, long time. Does that mean that Mizzou should jump OSU? Not in my mind. I think an undefeated team from any of the major conferences should get the nod over a 1-loss team, regardless of whatever one thinks might happen in a hypothetical match-up.

But I'm not sure everyone would see it that way. While we're at it, I think Oklahoma State is as good as any 1-loss team out there, but again, the conference has been a dawg the last several years. Even as the clear number 1 team in the Big12, they needed a lot of fortune to pull off the win against Stanford, which was the clear #2 team (not #1) in the Pac12 that year. And the Big12, like the Big10, hasn't done well in the two years since.

I think the argument against OSU is that people are afraid they'd get torched by FSU, and people want to watch a competitive game. I could easily see OSU getting thrashed, too. As impressive as their 20+ game win streak is, they've not come anywhere close to facing the kind of talent FSU has. It's true that the SEC schools take a week off here and there by scheduling high school teams, but there's simply no way to win the conference without going through at least two or three beefcakes first.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I don't think Bama loses to Auburn. It'll be more competitive than any game since 2010, but they should still win. They'll probably beat Mizzou, too, but Mizzou can actually play defense, and I'm not sure if the SEC West teams are aware of that yet. Whether their record at the end of this year reflects it or not, I don't know, but I think this is probably the best Mizzou team of any in modern times.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, all they did was prove that Clemson wasn't the #3 team in the nation. That game is an excellent argument why there shouldn't be polls until the halfway point of the season.
Death Valley is one of the Top 25 hardest places to play football. FSU set the record that night for most points scored against Clemson. Clemson is currently #6 in the BCS. Haters goin' Hate. By bowl time, Clemson might be #4. Real question... what will be the excuse when they knock off South Carolina? Pretender at #10?

As for Ohio State... it is the eye test. A 10 point win against Iowa and Northwestern vs FSU going 198-20 in the last 3 games including a blowout against a top 10 team.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Death Valley is one of the Top 25 hardest places to play football. FSU set the record that night for most points scored against Clemson. Clemson is currently #6 in the BCS. Haters goin' Hate. By bowl time, Clemson might be #4. Real question... what will be the excuse when they knock off South Carolina? Pretender at #10?

As for Ohio State... it is the eye test. A 10 point win against Iowa and Northwestern vs FSU going 198-20 in the last 3 games including a blowout against a top 10 team.
I'm always a believer in the adage that games are played on the field, but much like Notre Dame last year, I personally think it will be better for the dignity of OSU's program if they end up undefeated and uncrowned, as opposed to actually getting their wish. At least that way they could talk about what they could have done to FSU or Bama. But if Bama slips and OSU ends up playing FSU, I think FSU would hand the Buckeyes one of the most humiliating defeats in its history. The losses to Florida and LSU were bad enough, but I think an OSU-FSU game would be ugly - quickly. Honestly - and this is coming from an SEC'er - I think FSU's the #1 team in the nation. Bama's the champ, but in name only. I think it's Bama that's got something to prove at the moment. And they're the only team I could see hanging with FSU.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,647 times
Pretty much all of these chickenbananas posts itt have been spot on. As an FSU fan I'd much rather play OSU than Bama... and so I'll be rooting for Auburn this week.

You may end up with a 1 loss SEC team passing undefeated OSU in a few of the computer rankings, but I don't think enough human voters will do that to result in OSU not being #2 overall in the BCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football