U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think there should be a rule where every team is required to play at least 5 true road games. It crazy when you see teams playing 12 games and 8 of them are at home.
As long as college football is controlled by money, this will never happen.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 PM

368 posts, read 308,054 times
Well, if I read the BCS selection procedures page correctly, this is what the BCS schedule would look like for this season:

#1 - BCS National Championship game: Florida State vs. Auburn
#2 - Rose Bowl: Michigan State vs. Stanford
#3 - Orange Bowl: Alabama vs. Oklahoma
#4 - Sugar Bowl: Clemson vs. Ohio State
#5 - Fiesta Bowl: Baylor vs. Central Florida

I am certain of 1, 2 & 5. The other two are subject to change. The Big-10 and Pac-12 champions are contractually committed to the Rose Bowl. Ditto the Big-12 champion to the Fiesta Bowl. The only exception to these commitments is if one of these bowl games loses a conference champion to the BCS National Championship game and we know that to not be the case. So automatically, we know where five teams will be going (Florida State, Auburn, Michigan State, Stanford and Baylor).

The AAC is not committed to any of the bowl games, even though its champion (Central Florida) IS guaranteed a spot in one of the bowls. Because of that, it will be the least attractive of all of the BCS-eligible teams. And since the Fiesta Bowl selects last (the order for the 2013-14 season is: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta), it will wind up getting stuck with Central Florida.

The Orange Bowl loses ACC champion Florida State and Sugar Bowl loses SEC champion Auburn. In that order, these two bowls select replacements. The bowl game that loses the #1 team picks a replacement first, and then the bowl game that loses the #2 team picks second. That means the Orange Bowl selects a replacement for Florida State and then the Sugar Bowl selects a replacement for Auburn. Alabama is the most popular at-large team and will be scooped up by the OB. The Sugar Bowl will then take Clemson.

Once bowls who lose conference champions select replacements, NOW that order (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta) comes into play. The OB is the first to pick a second team to round out its game. It could either be Ohio State or Oklahoma. I believe it takes Oklahoma. Despite having two losses, their win today was more impressive than any win on Ohio State's resume. Moreover, Oklahoma to me would stand a better chance against Alabama than Ohio State would. Once the OB selects Oklahoma, that leaves Ohio State and Central Florida left. The Sugar Bowl matches up Clemson with Ohio State and as stated before, Central Florida will get stuck in the desert against Baylor.

Whew...

If I'm wrong somewhere, let me know. But I'm more than 80% certain that this is what the lineup of BCS games will look like.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If all teams win that should, the BCS bowls will look like this... What a fitting end to the BCS. FSU kicked the BCS era off and will now finish the BCS era (when they beat Duke this weekend).

National Title: FSU vs Ohio St
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs Mich St
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Auburn vs UCF
Fiesta Bowl: OK State vs Northern Illinois

There's no way Clemson gets a BCS at large.
Baylor vs. UCF is the likely Fiesta Bowl
Bama vs. Ohio state in the Sugar, but Mizzou should get a long look. Mizzou got screwed the last time they were in a BCS bowl spot in 2007. Remember that year they beat undefeated Kansas the last week of the season to win the Big 12 North, but they lost to OU in the Big 12 championship game, yet got passed over in favor of Kansas, a team they just beat the previous week for the Orange Bowl?? It likely happens again. I think an OSU/Bama matchup would bring New Orleans a ratings bonanza.
Oregon vs. OK State in the Orange Bowl. Both of those teams deserve BCS bowls over Clemson.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:37 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
Well, if I read the BCS selection procedures page correctly, this is what the BCS schedule would look like for this season:

Orange Bowl will choose Ohio State and Clemson... And Sugar will grab Bama and OK (small chance for Oregon).

The Orange bowl has ACC ties... Not SEC. So they will have to grab Clemson in order not to **** off their constituents. The Ohio State choice is because of their following and they will travel the best out of the remaining teams.

And the Sugar bowl will grab Bama for the same reasons. And subsequently OK goes as well... Although if they want better ratings they will grab Oregon. Or if Phil Knight can guarantee so many tickets sold... Lol.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post

I am certain of 1, 2 & 5. The other two are subject to change. The Big-10 and Pac-12 champions are contractually committed to the Rose Bowl. Ditto the Big-12 champion to the Fiesta Bowl. The only exception to these commitments is if one of these bowl games loses a conference champion to the BCS National Championship game and we know that to not be the case. So automatically, we know where five teams will be going (Florida State, Auburn, Michigan State, Stanford and Baylor).

The AAC is not committed to any of the bowl games, even though its champion (Central Florida) IS guaranteed a spot in one of the bowls. Because of that, it will be the least attractive of all of the BCS-eligible teams. And since the Fiesta Bowl selects last (the order for the 2013-14 season is: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta), it will wind up getting stuck with Central Florida.

The Orange Bowl loses ACC champion Florida State and Sugar Bowl loses SEC champion Auburn. In that order, these two bowls select replacements. The bowl game that loses the #1 team picks a replacement first, and then the bowl game that loses the #2 team picks second. That means the Orange Bowl selects a replacement for Florida State and then the Sugar Bowl selects a replacement for Auburn. Alabama is the most popular at-large team and will be scooped up by the OB. The Sugar Bowl will then take Clemson.

Once bowls who lose conference champions select replacements, NOW that order (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta) comes into play. The OB is the first to pick a second team to round out its game. It could either be Ohio State or Oklahoma. I believe it takes Oklahoma. Despite having two losses, their win today was more impressive than any win on Ohio State's resume. Moreover, Oklahoma to me would stand a better chance against Alabama than Ohio State would. Once the OB selects Oklahoma, that leaves Ohio State and Central Florida left. The Sugar Bowl matches up Clemson with Ohio State and as stated before, Central Florida will get stuck in the desert against Baylor.

Whew...

If I'm wrong somewhere, let me know. But I'm more than 80% certain that this is what the lineup of BCS games will look like.
Looks like that's going to be it.
McMurphyESPN: BCS bowls set: FSU-Auburn (title), Bama-OU (Sugar), Clem-Ohio St (Orange), MSU-Stan (Rose), Bay-UCF (Fiesta) sources said

Best slew of BCS match ups in awhile.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:18 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Looks like that's going to be it.
McMurphyESPN: BCS bowls set: FSU-Auburn (title), Bama-OU (Sugar), Clem-Ohio St (Orange), MSU-Stan (Rose), Bay-UCF (Fiesta) sources said

Best slew of BCS match ups in awhile.
A lot better than what it appeared to look like a week ago.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:29 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
A lot better than what it appeared to look like a week ago.
For sure. I see only one blowout, possibly 2. Depends which Oklahoma team shows up, OU is all kinds of banged up which doesn't help. Baylor is going to destroy UCF. Either way, the match ups are all pretty solid.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
Looks like there's going to be some very cheap tickets for the Fiesta Bowl.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
First BCS top ten poll as of 10/20/2013

#1 Alabama
#2 FSU
#3 Oregon
#4 Ohio State
#5 Mizzou
#6 Stanford
#7 Miami
#8 Baylor
#9 Clemson
#10 Texas Tech
Yep; Auburn was never given a thought. Now in the championship game.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
For sure. I see only one blowout, possibly 2. Depends which Oklahoma team shows up, OU is all kinds of banged up which doesn't help. Baylor is going to destroy UCF. Either way, the match ups are all pretty solid.
Teams have lots of time to heal and prep for opponent. Its not at all like just another weekly game perp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football