U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 10:25 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I think the only thing the BCS got wrong this year was Oklahoma over Oklahoma state & Oregon. I'd say Missouri as well, but they have 2 conference limit and Alabama was a lock, so even though Missouri definitely deserved it over Oklahoma and would have gotten it if not for the conference limit, Missouri picked the wrong time to lose their second game.

Say what you will about OK beating State, but its not like the Sooners killed them, and as the BCS proved in 2007, and probably a couple others years I don't remember, head to head means **** anyways. That year (2007) a 1 loss Missouri beat an undefeated Kansas the last week of the regular season in a winner takes the big 12 north game. Mizzou won, lost to Oklahoma.....again (lost to them earlier in the season as well), so even though they won the division AND beat them head to head Kansas got the second Big 12 BCS bid that year.

What I really would have liked to see however, was Mizzou holding onto that 17 point 4th quarter lead in the USC game, go into the SEC championship game undefeated and lose to Auburn. Who's the second SEC team the BCS would have taken?? Alabama would bring more fans, but Mizzou finished the whole SEC season undefeated. Also, what if Mizzou beats Auburn instead?? Does the BCS still select Alabama, just like Kansas/Mizzou in 2007??
Alabama's gonna slap the absolute sh*t outta Oklahoma and there's not a sane person who doesn't think that's gonna happen. OK State set this up perfectly. They actually let the Sooners think they're a BCS team, and they've got the misfortune of facing an angry full-of-p*ss Alabama team that knows it - and not Auburn - should be playing for the BCS Title. It's got a lot of time to get full of rage, and it's got the guy as head coach who's not gonna let them sleep until they go out and beat the bleep out of the next team they face -- and that's you OU. Enjoy yer trip to the Alabama woodshed. Take yer whuppin like a man.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That's not a key stat. With a month off and a month to prepare, history tells us that passing offenses struggle to maintain season form in bowl games. Maybe FSU will buck the trend. Who knows. I'm guessing both teams will be held well below their season passing stats. Auburn will control the clock and win somewhere around 31-28.
I think it could be a good game, but I look for FSU to win this. I just can't bring myself to believe that a team that gives up 30-40 points per game is capable of winning the national championship. Auburn's got a great running and run-option game, but sooner or later, that one-trick pony show's gonna come to an end. I like FSU 35-27.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Alabama's gonna slap the absolute sh*t outta Oklahoma and there's not a sane person who doesn't think that's gonna happen. OK State set this up perfectly. They actually let the Sooners think they're a BCS team, and they've got the misfortune of facing an angry full-of-p*ss Alabama team that knows it - and not Auburn - should be playing for the BCS Title. It's got a lot of time to get full of rage, and it's got the guy as head coach who's not gonna let them sleep until they go out and beat the bleep out of the next team they face -- and that's you OU. Enjoy yer trip to the Alabama woodshed. Take yer whuppin like a man.
Man. That's some serious alternate reality there, champ. Yeah, Alabama will likely woodshed Oklahoma, a team that is a shadow of its former greatness.

But this thought that Alabama should play for the national title instead of Auburn is just kind of pathetic, the clichéd mewling of sore losers. Alabama had its chance on the field, and didn't have the manhood to prevail. Alabama was out coached and ultimately outplayed. Even the game-ending play, lest you think it was a total fluke, was an instance of a shrewd substitution on the part of Malzahn followed by superior execution, while Alabama's field goal unit essentially stood there with thumbs up their collective butts. Hey, Davis might not have run it back all the way 99% of the time, but the fact that he did shows that Malzahn was engaged to the very end while Saban was not. Last time I checked, special teams are part of the game, too.

So let's abandon all the childish "we should be in the national championship" talk or dumb comments such as "we'd beat you nine out of ten times." Not only does it lay bare your desperateness, but there's also no way of proving your assertions. The only thing that is proven is that you didn't beat Auburn when it mattered the most. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you lack the intrinsic tough-mindedness to win in the freaking Iron Bowl, then you have zero business discussing why you should be playing to win it all. I'm not sure how this is even subject to debate.

To me, the only other team that has a legitimate argument to play for the National Championship is Michigan State. And even they don't have the SOS that Auburn has.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-10-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,885,493 times
Quote:
If Alabama had taken care of business, they would be playing out in Pasadena instead of New Orleans.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,739,778 times
Where are all the Yahoo sports writers who proclaimed awhile back that the BCS would be a mess due to all the unbeaten teams at years end ?

They should have learned from last year when they said the same at mid season.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
I think it could be a good game, but I look for FSU to win this. I just can't bring myself to believe that a team that gives up 30-40 points per game is capable of winning the national championship. Auburn's got a great running and run-option game, but sooner or later, that one-trick pony show's gonna come to an end. I like FSU 35-27.
But that "one-trick pony show" took down the best CFB in America.

I know a lot of people who are saying that FSU is a clear favorite in the NC, but I don't see a clear favorite in this game at all. Both teams have good athletes. FSU has a superior QB, but he's still young, and any QB (even the great Tom Brady) can be made to look normal if you ring his bell enough. I think this game is too close to call because Auburn is not only talented, but also battle-tested. FSU has never faced a defense as good as Auburn's. FSU has put up some impressive numbers on some not so impressive teams. I don't see FSU being able to do what they've done to Duke, Clemson, Wake Forest, NC State, etc.

So I'm calling this one "too close to call." This is the first NC game in a few years I've felt there wasn't a clear favorite.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM

And while Auburn's secondary looked suspect against Missouri, they're certainly not giving up "30-40 points per game." They've given up 30 points a game four times this year.

LSU (loss)
Texas A&M
Georgia
Missouri

These weren't exactly cupcake opponents. It would be more concerning if they were giving up 30-40 points against the likes of UConn, UNC, etc. But they gave up 30 points to pretty solid teams.

I think the SEC Championship Game was an outlier. Neither team would give up that many points in an outdoor stadium.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

FSU's by far the best defense that Auburn will have faced this year. Alabama was good, but I don't think this was the Crimson Tide of 2011 in terms of defense, and even if you can point out statistical similarities between Alabama in 2011 and 2013, I think Alabama really gave away a game they clearly should have won. Like I said, I won't take away the fact that Auburn has a lot of character and certainly a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I've just not seen too many teams at any level that have won with strictly offense, and I don't think much of Auburn's defense. They could have easily lost to Georgia, a team that Clemson managed to lead the entire game. With FSU, there's been no drama. They're just more balanced.

Now, if Auburn manages to hang around and get a rally going in the 4th quarter, yeah, I think that's what would worry mean if I were an FSU fan, because Auburn's been in tight games and FSU hasn't had a sniff of one yet. It would be interesting to see how Winston handles decision making in a tighter contest. I could see Auburn winning if that happens. But my hunch is that FSU's going to have better control of Auburn's offense than other teams have. I don't think it'll be a blowout, but I think FSU stays ahead for most of the game. They'll probably try to bend and not break.

One thing that does work in Auburn's favor - and something that FSU may not have had to deal with yet - is the fact that Auburn's a team that likes to get its offense going with the run game as its primary weapon. A pass-first team would be a bad, bad match-up for FSU, but at least with Auburn's power running game, they might have a chance, if they can establish that their backfield and O-line is better than, say, Clemson's. If it's only as good or just merely a tad better, well, FSU's played that type of opponent already. Auburn's going to have to prove that they're not Clemson; that they've just got better blocking and a better backfield than anything FSU's had to deal with.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Quote:
FSU's by far the best defense that Auburn will have faced this year. Alabama was good, but I don't think this was the Crimson Tide of 2011 in terms of defense, and even if you can point out statistical similarities between Alabama in 2011 and 2013, I think Alabama really gave away a game they clearly should have won. Like I said, I won't take away the fact that Auburn has a lot of character and certainly a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I've just not seen too many teams at any level that have won with strictly offense, and I don't think much of Auburn's defense. They could have easily lost to Georgia, a team that Clemson managed to lead the entire game. With FSU, there's been no drama. They're just more balanced.

Now, if Auburn manages to hang around and get a rally going in the 4th quarter, yeah, I think that's what would worry mean if I were an FSU fan, because Auburn's been in tight games and FSU hasn't had a sniff of one yet. It would be interesting to see how Winston handles decision making in a tighter contest. I could see Auburn winning if that happens. But my hunch is that FSU's going to have better control of Auburn's offense than other teams have. I don't think it'll be a blowout, but I think FSU stays ahead for most of the game. They'll probably try to bend and not break.

One thing that does work in Auburn's favor - and something that FSU may not have had to deal with yet - is the fact that Auburn's a team that likes to get its offense going with the run game as its primary weapon. A pass-first team would be a bad, bad match-up for FSU, but at least with Auburn's power running game, they might have a chance, if they can establish that their backfield and O-line is better than, say, Clemson's. If it's only as good or just merely a tad better, well, FSU's played that type of opponent already. Auburn's going to have to prove that they're not Clemson; that they've just got better blocking and a better backfield than anything FSU's had to deal with.
Well, I think the entire comparison of FSU and Auburn based on statistical analysis is very suspect, simply because the two teams have not played anything close to comparable schedules. FSU's only touted opponent this year has been Clemson, which is a very suspect team in my opinion. I mean, when the second-toughest team on your schedule is Duke, it makes a reasonable person wonder what if those gaudy offensive and defensive statistics have any real validity.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I think the entire comparison of FSU and Auburn based on statistical analysis is very suspect, simply because the two teams have not played anything close to comparable schedules. FSU's only touted opponent this year has been Clemson, which is a very suspect team in my opinion. I mean, when the second-toughest team on your schedule is Duke, it makes a reasonable person wonder what if those gaudy offensive and defensive statistics have any real validity.
Yeah, West Virginia put up 70 on Clemson in the Orange Bowl. And they get pwned every year by South Carolina, which is a solid program, but not a real title contender over the past few seasons. Crushing Clemson at home, while impressive, was not unprecedented. That's a defense that hasn't shown it can stop a quality offense at all.

So yeah, I agree that the advantage SEC teams have is that they face tougher competition week-in, week-out. Fast defenses are not as bothersome because they've seen fast defenses before. Physicality is not as bothersome because they've played physical teams before. Football is not like basketball where talent and pretty plays can overwhelm the competition more often than not. Unless you have two teams that are not athletically matched at all (which has been the case in prior years and would have been the case had OSU won), then anything is a given. There's something to be said for a team that's hard and can, in Greg Popovich's words, give a "little dose of the nasty."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football