Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

This is just lazy on your part. I don't even follow CFB like that and I least looked it up. Auburn had two TD margins or greater in half of its wins. So how is it that "the majority" of its wins were by less than 10 points?
I wasn't lazy- I structured my statement poorly. I was counting their loss as a game in which they didn't win by 10 points. So, 13 games in which they won 6 by more than 14 points, and 7 in which they won by < 10 points or did not win. But I'm good with 'half'.

Quote:

Such as? The only team I can say Auburn should have pounded was Ole Miss. The other wins were tight because they were playing, well, Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, etc. These are teams that are ranked and going to Bowl games. Substitute Clemson for Alabama, Duke for Missouri, Miami for LSU, Texas A&M for Wake Forest, and N.C. State for Georgia and I'd bet good money that Auburn would be undefeated too.
Miss St by 4, Ole Miss by 8, WSU by 7... those are very mediocre teams... Auburn managed to beat some excellent teams and yet did not dominate some of these lesser teams... so that's all I meant by they seemed to play down to their level... If they can beat the top teams by a few points, why didn't they beat these mediocre teams by 3 or 4 TD's? But at the end of the day, they got the W in those games which is all that counts.

I guess my point in all this is this. The records are the only clear and indisputable data points. Once you start to dig under the surface of the W-L, and discuss *who* they played, it begins to get subjective, and therefore we should also be discussing *how* they played. And to those points- A) Auburn played a superior schedule. and B) Auburn got lucky to win several of their games and failed to dominate teams they probably should have.

There's no doubt it will be a good game and no matter how it looks on paper it will come down to game plan and execution by the players and coaches. If FSU can't solve the Auburn run game, then it could swing towards the Tigers.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
Quote:
So is anyone going to make a prediction?

I actually like the Noles (meaning I liked their teams back in the 90s). The only prediction I'll make is that the game will go down to the wire.
I think it will be high scoring... I'm thinking something like FSU 44-38.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Prediction... FSU wins in a blowout.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Florida State 34 - Auburn 20

I may be wrong, but I do not believe Auburn will be able to keep up with the Seminole offense. Missouri was able to move the ball at will for large stretches of the SEC title game and Florida State has a better offense than Missouri.
I still need more time to break down the game tapes, but here's what I've seen so far:

I would agree with some of FSU's critics that some of their blowouts have been a tad misleading or misrepresentative of the way the game could have gone. In the Clemson game, for instance, there was a near turnover that Clemson could have taken to the house, which would have made the game closer in the beginning. FSU also took advantage of some sloppy play from Clemson. The Clemson game, and more so the Florida game late in the year, also reveal one disturbing fact: a good line *can* get to Jameis Winston. He will get sacked from time to time, and I predict he'll get sacked by Auburn for some big losses. In brief, what I've noticed is that, against more physical and athletic opponents, FSU doesn't always get it going in the first half. But what the Noles do is to make adjustments throughout the game -- they've really impressed me in that regard. They make the adjustments. They settle down. They start taking over on both lines of scrimmage. The Noles have been relentless during games, and eventually, they take over.

Auburn, meanwhile, has great blocking and they might have an underrated pass rush. The thing that would concern me if I were cheering for Auburn is that they just give up so many big plays. Perhaps you can argue that this is because they open it up and take chances, but there's just no denying that other teams find ways to get scores easily at points during the game. They also tend to put the ball on the ground a little more than FSU.

This is a hard one to call, but I could see Auburn jumping out to a lead in the first quarter before FSU begins to make adjustments and take control toward the end of the first half. At this point, I'd have to say FSU takes it in a game that's competitive until the end, but a game that leaves no doubt about who the best team is. I think FSU wins it by a touchdown, 34-27-ish.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
There's no doubt it will be a good game and no matter how it looks on paper it will come down to game plan and execution by the players and coaches. If FSU can't solve the Auburn run game, then it could swing towards the Tigers.
I think that it basically comes down to one question: can FSU stand up to Auburn's offensive line. If they can slow the Tigers down, I think they'll win. If, on the other hand, Auburn dominates the line and overpowers FSU, then FSU's in for a long night of self-doubt. But from what I've seen of FSU, I haven't seen any signs of them being the sort of team that's going to get pushed around by anybody. Auburn's going to have to be particularly good at knowing win Jaimis is going to throw to his WRs and they'll have to get pressure on him early - make him doubt himself and force him into making mistakes that they can capitalize on.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
They said "Clemson doesn't belong". "Clemson was weak". I say Hi Haters!

Braxton Miller was in some pain...

Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM

293 posts, read 469,089 times
Not going to say FSU played a dominant schedule because the team didn't. With that said, FSU's offense is scary. Jimbo was hired to clean up the Jeff Bowden mess and he did just that. At a minimum, 4 potential future NFL players running routes. A young quarterback that plays likes a senior. Three running backs that would start at most D1 schools. Say what you want about Clemson, Death Valley is not an easy place to play at. The defense has been revamped and more pressure is coming from the secondary. The team is fast, strong and aggressive. Auburn won two games with last second miracles so their record does not impress me. 4-1 against Top 25 teams. FSU is 4-0 against Top 25 teams (Duke counts).

Brother is going to the game. Should be a good one but as a FSU alum and fan I hope they come out swinging.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Meanwhile the 'Bama cleat-lickers have been shriekingly silent...

The two teams there were supposed to meet in the BCS championship before they both choked, both choked again. Maybe the BCS process had some logic to it after all?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

He sure was a "hurtin buckaroo"!

And what is Millen's obsession with big boy pants?????

If one had to talk a drink every time Millen uttered his go-to sayings......

We could have the Matt Millen catch-phrase drinking game!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
He sure was a "hurtin buckaroo"!

And what is Millen's obsession with big boy pants?????

If one had to talk a drink every time Millen uttered his go-to sayings......

We could have the Matt Millen catch-phrase drinking game!!!
It's beyond me how he still has a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football