Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Mizzou (-2.5) over Auburn. Money in the bank.
Both teams are 10-2 against the spread this year. Going to be interesting to see who prevails.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
For the sake of not seeing Auburn get beat by FSU... I will be rooting for you on this one!
I'm just not convinced that FSU is the end-all, be-all football juggernaut that everyone claims they are. Their one signature win is a drubbing against Clemson, a team so known for epic collapses that they have their own verb. Given that Clemson also lost by two touchdowns against South Carolina, I'm really not sure that's a team that really was that outstanding to begin with. To be sure, they have an incredible quarterback in Winston. But a D.A. in Tallahassee could take him completely out of the championship picture at any time.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM

5,543 posts, read 9,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You have to look at the positive side of the Alabama loss> Maybe they'll get to play Northern Illinois and avenge their last loss to the Huskies.

Northern Illinois Huskies vs. Alabama Crimson Tide - Box Score - September 20, 2003 - ESPN

Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 AM

675 posts, read 1,406,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm just not convinced that FSU is the end-all, be-all football juggernaut that everyone claims they are. Their one signature win is a drubbing against Clemson, a team so known for epic collapses that they have their own verb. Given that Clemson also lost by two touchdowns against South Carolina, I'm really not sure that's a team that really was that outstanding to begin with. To be sure, they have an incredible quarterback in Winston. But a D.A. in Tallahassee could take him completely out of the championship picture at any time.
Definitely FSU has not faced a slate like some other schools have. But, they put a 'drubbing' not just on Clemson but on EVERY team they played. The closest game was 12 points and the 2nd closest game was 27 points. So that's 11 of their 12 wins by a minimum of nearly 4 touchdowns. And in many of those games their 2nd and 3rd stringers were playing most of the second half.

As for comparing the FSU & SC victories over Clemson:
FSU on the road, 37 point victory
SC at home, 14 point victory (and Clemson turned the ball over 3 more times vs SC than vs FSU)

Now lets look at how they fared against another common opponent, Florida
FSU on the road, 30 point victory
SC at home, 5 point victory

So SC is supposed to be a one of the 'elite SEC teams' at 10-2 including handing Mizzou their only loss, and yet against the same opponents FSU's wins were much more impressive.

It is tough in college to know for sure who is the best because there are so many teams and it's not possible to play everyone or even have a lot of common opponents across conferences. All you can do is look at what common opponents you can find, and in how they fared.

I think FSU's the best team in the country ainec.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,433,946 times
If all teams win that should, the BCS bowls will look like this... What a fitting end to the BCS. FSU kicked the BCS era off and will now finish the BCS era (when they beat Duke this weekend).

National Title: FSU vs Ohio St
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs Mich St
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Auburn vs UCF
Fiesta Bowl: OK State vs Northern Illinois

Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,442,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If all teams win that should, the BCS bowls will look like this... What a fitting end to the BCS. FSU kicked the BCS era off and will now finish the BCS era (when they beat Duke this weekend).

Wow, 4 of the 5 will be blowouts. Yeah, what a fitting end to such a jacked up system. Sadly, a 4 team playoff will not be much better.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,308,804 times
People are putting all the attention on Jameis Winston, but the few times I've seen FSU play it's been their defense and their athletic core of receivers that have probably impressed me the most. When FSU jumps out to 35-0 leads in the middle of the second quarter, it's not, contrary to what people believe, because Winston's tossing a game of Nerf football against a bunch of rag tag junior varsity defenders. The FSU defense sets the table by getting big turnovers, and they don't just get the TO; those defenders are a threat to take it to the house any time they get their mitts on the ball. I'd agree that FSU hasn't necessarily played great defenses this year, but the speed and athleticism of the WRs is terrifying.

In order to beat FSU, it would first take a team that could really get physical with FSU on the lines with a front four. After that, they'd need the personnel to contain the WRs. You can prepare and scheme it all you want. In the end, you gotta have the horses to run in the race. Not many teams have the kind of horses FSU does this year.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 PM

675 posts, read 1,406,702 times
Speaking of FSU, here's a stat- FSU has 16 different players with an INT this season. That's pretty incredible. That means their 2nd and 3rd stringers are getting it done as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,308,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Speaking of FSU, here's a stat- FSU has 16 different players with an INT this season. That's pretty incredible. That means their 2nd and 3rd stringers are getting it done as well.
Their DBs are f***ing unreal. That's the thing that just stands out about FSU. They're incredibly athletic at the skilled positions. A lot - I mean a LOT - of NFL ready guys. There are two things that teams just cannot prepare for: speed and brute force. Alabama and the past SEC champions have brought the brute force with them. But FSU brings the speed and they're not exactly wimps on the line, either. But the speed and raw athletic ability is something that teams just cannot prepare for.

Look, I was talking a lotta sh*t about FSU and ACC last year. I'll still talk smack about the ACC, but not FSU. They Noles are some kinda bad ass.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,578,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

****tiest match ups that I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football