Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Now they're saying they pulled his DNA off of her underwear. That at least proves sexual contact but of course she is claiming non consensual. I think it is only a matter of days before he is arrested and FSUs run is over.

after that the charges will be mysteriously dropped because some booster somewhere pays the girl and her family off, Winston spends a year at some no name junior college and then he shows up at Auburn as a transfer in 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
If we've learned anything, it's that the media sometimes will hype a story up and the facts sort themselves out over a period of time. That being said, though, if today's allegations are true, then I think it's fair to say that this could be the beginning of a very long, ugly scandal that has the potential to consume the Florida State program. I hope that this didn't happen as it is being reported, but if true, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that local good ole boy authorities whitewashed a sex scandal at a major state collegiate athletic program.

Without having any way of knowing whether it applies in the case of FSU, I nevertheless said it then and I'll say it again: Penn State's program should have gotten a 5-year 'death' penalty. A program that conspires to conceal felonious assaults on its own campus or among its own student athletes or coaches should be terminated for a 5 year period of reflection on the importance of collegiate athletics relative to other aspects of human life.
Yeah, this whole thing is terrible. But from what I understand, it wasn't the football program that tried to cover anything up - it was the police. Why should the team be punished for what the police did?

Unless of course someone brings forth evidence proving that Jimbo & co. knew Jameis was actually guilty. Though I'm sure as far as they knew, the police had closed the case.

I think this scenario is different than PSU.

I've also read that the girls roommate and friends said it was consensual?

Well see what happens.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Yeah, this whole thing is terrible. But from what I understand, it wasn't the football program that tried to cover anything up - it was the police. Why should the team be punished for what the police did?

Unless of course someone brings forth evidence proving that Jimbo & co. knew Jameis was actually guilty. Though I'm sure as far as they knew, the police had closed the case.

Well see what happens.
Usually there is influence when the police do these things but that would require proving that and these things are usually discussed person to person and not written down or recorded. It happens a lot in football. However, guilt is far from established for anyone. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Usually there is influence when the police do these things but that would require proving that and these things are usually discussed person to person and not written down or recorded. It happens a lot in football. However, guilt is far from established for anyone. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Yeah, but one thing that is the MAIN DIFFERENCE between what happened at PSU and what's happening now at FSU is that employees of the football program at PSU witnessed the atrocities multiple times in the training facilities and even reported it to higher ups but never the authorities.

As far as we all know right now, Jameis and the girl had sexual contact and the authorities were notified. I'm sure Jimbo & Co were notified as well, BUT they didn't walk into the apartment as it was happening and then fail to notify the police.

So, comparing PSU and FSU just doesn't make sense.

I'm definitely disappointed right now because we all had a lot of faith in Jameis as an athlete.

But I also think that it's important not to pass judgement at this time. Just because there is DNA evidence suggesting sexual contact and someone is claiming it was non consensual doesn't mean there was actually rape.

Date rape situations happen A LOT (not that that makes it ok, I'm just saying, I know many instances where people - especially within Greek life @ FSU - could've claimed date rape after a one night stand but never did) in college and I personally believe it can be a misunderstanding between two people who are usually under the influence of drugs and alcohol, acting in promiscuous manners, things escalate, memories are unclear -- and it is in these situations only where I feel sorry for the woman AND man involved because there is regret and confusion coming from both sides. There are also the instances where a person is intentionally drugged by the other and forced into having sex or being taken advantage of, no doubt, I'm not discounting that. But as a young woman who just graduated from college, I personally believe it is the first situation I described that happens more often within the category of date rape in college.

My question now is, if Jameis and his attorney continue standing by his innocence, but the young woman stands by her claim of rape, and if no other evidence comes forward (like evidence of injuries, date rape drugs, etc.) would there even be a case at all? It would be entirely he/she said...

Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Yeah, but one thing that is the MAIN DIFFERENCE between what happened at PSU and what's happening now at FSU is that employees of the football program at PSU witnessed the atrocities multiple times in the training facilities and even reported it to higher ups but never the authorities.

As far as we all know right now, Jameis and the girl had sexual contact and the authorities were notified. I'm sure Jimbo & Co were notified as well, BUT they didn't walk into the apartment as it was happening and then fail to notify the police.

So, comparing PSU and FSU just doesn't make sense.

I'm definitely disappointed right now because we all had a lot of faith in Jameis as an athlete.

But I also think that it's important not to pass judgement at this time. Just because there is DNA evidence suggesting sexual contact and someone is claiming it was non consensual doesn't mean there was actually rape.

Date rape situations happen A LOT (not that that makes it ok, I'm just saying, I know many instances where people - especially within Greek life @ FSU - could've claimed date rape after a one night stand but never did) in college and I personally believe it can be a misunderstanding between two people who are usually under the influence of drugs and alcohol, acting in promiscuous manners, things escalate, memories are unclear -- and it is in these situations only where I feel sorry for the woman AND man involved because there is regret and confusion coming from both sides. There are also the instances where a person is intentionally drugged by the other and forced into having sex or being taken advantage of, no doubt, I'm not discounting that. But as a young woman who just graduated from college, I personally believe it is the first situation I described that happens more often within the category of date rape in college.

My question now is, if Jameis and his attorney continue standing by his innocence, but the young woman stands by her claim of rape, and if no other evidence comes forward (like evidence of injuries, date rape drugs, etc.) would there even be a case at all? It would be entirely he/she said...
I never compared this to PSU nor did I pass judgment...

Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I never compared this to PSU nor did I pass judgment...
Yeah, I meant that more to the poster who said that FSU's program should face similar consequences to PSU's. I accidentally quoted you instead of just clicking the "reply to this thread' button, sorry.

Anyway, did anyone read this from Alligator Army? link
I thought it was important that Hutchins said "Toss in the allegation that a TPD officer told the victim's lawyer that the victim's life would be made miserable — one that I don't find to be particularly outrageous, given that it would probably be an abdication of duty to some degree for a police department not to inform rape victims likely to be thrust into the public eye that the public prosecution of a rape can be grueling for victims..." because so many people have been saying "How dare the TPD call Tallahassee a football town where the victim would be shamed!" because the reality is that something like that is very possible and I think it was ok for TPD to let the victim know that given the magnitude of the situation, her allegations were bound to be put in the national spotlight.

Also thought this one was interesting, even though a few voters were quoted saying that their votes wouldn't change unless more is revealed by the investigation in the coming weeks, I think his chance at the Heisman is pretty much shot.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Assuming the worst and assuming that the reporting's accurate, would you really think it was just the police -- really?

I may not know much about Tallahassee but I've lived in a southern college town that goes nuts over football, and grew up in a state that goes nuts over any kind of football at any level. Basically, you've got a scenario in which Mayor Bubba's lifelong friends with school official Jethro, and both know police chief Bobby Joe. I'm not saying that absolutely is what's happening here, but I could definitely see it happening in any town in which college athletics is a social and economic tie that binds.

Quote:

That's what the police report says.

The problem is, the DA is not exactly endorsing the police department's conduct in this one, which is pretty telling. And now come to find out, the alleged victim is saying that the police were basically sending her the message that they weren't interested in doing much beyond a very shallow investigation. People have said "Yeah, she's lying. She said he was 5'9" when in fact he's 6'4". But again, who's writing the report, and who's being accused of not doing their jobs? It goes beyond not doing one's job, actually; sending a report to FSU police - which had no jurisdiction - before sending it to a DA? Uh, something's rotten in Denmark.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Even with DNA... you still have to have motive and to tie up all the discrepancies. She was drunk and this happened around 1 to 2am and supposely this sex act happened in HIS room. Obviously she knew him if she came to his place. How many people are really named Jameis? Why does it take a full month to "know" who he is? Let alone she agreed to the original police report which lists Winston with a completly different body type. Was this a 1 night stand of regret or was this truly sexual assault...

Next you got to understand the "why"... She didn't want to press charges in January when she "realized" it was him. We are now 11 months later and now she does... sounds extremely fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if there doesn't come to light a money trail. In my gut... I see this case ending bad for someone other than Winston.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
As soon as the story came to light the police intimidating her and her family, the whole investigation becomes shady.

signed affidavits from the friend and her roomate? So. They were paid or intimidated too as far as im concerned.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Even with DNA... you still have to have motive and to tie up all the discrepancies. She was drunk and this happened around 1 to 2am and supposely this sex act happened in HIS room. Obviously she knew him if she came to his place. How many people are really named Jameis? Why does it take a full month to "know" who he is? Let alone she agreed to the original police report which lists Winston with a completly different body type. Was this a 1 night stand of regret or was this truly sexual assault...

Next you got to understand the "why"... She didn't want to press charges in January when she "realized" it was him. We are now 11 months later and now she does... sounds extremely fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if there doesn't come to light a money trail. In my gut... I see this case ending bad for someone other than Winston.
Do you have a link to a copy of the original police report? I have not been able to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football