U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:21 AM

114 posts, read 114,076 times

Advertisements

Good chance Ohio State loses to Michigan State, which would put Auburn in the #2 spot behind Florida State if they beat Mizzou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,916,621 times
Huge Buckeye fan here.

Strength of Schedule(SOS), conference alignment and voting are major flaws of College Football, so much so, that we sincerely have to discuss the possibility of Auburn jumping OSU. Yes, I agree that Auburn has a tougher schedule so I understand the plausible scenario. Concurrently, I think Boise State, NIU, Fresno State's of the world should not be given preferential treatment because of being undefeated with a weak SOS...OSU is not at that level. Finally, voting is impacted by the human factor. With that said, under the current system, if Auburn wins out, I would say OSU still gets the node if the Buckeyes wins out...because they would be undefeated.

To be frank, I have grown tired of these discussions. I love the fact that the NFL lets the teams play it out versus factors like voting and SOS. Next year is a start to correcting those flaws. I cannot wait. Yes, this might be a humbling experience for the Big Ten...or maybe for the SEC...we will find out in 2014.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:12 AM

667 posts, read 1,083,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I don't believe you would ever see a 1-loss team ahead of an undefeated from one of the 5 major conferences (pac12/b10/b12/acc/sec) in the BCS rankings. The BCS is 1/3 computers and 2/3 humans and even if some of the computer rankings put the 1-loss team over the undefeated team, you won't have enough human voters do it to make it flip in the final BCS ranks.
Of course the point will be moot after this year anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If Auburn wins out they are in the title game. Not sure if they beat Bama and lose to Mizzou.
uhh, no.
I've quoted my previous post for your reference. If Auburn wins out they still need help from either an FSU or OSU opponent to get into the #2 slot. It's just the way the math works.

Frankly I don't see either happening- OSU is rolling better than they have all season. They certainly should dismantle UM.. MSU next week might be a challenge.

I will be rooting for Auburn today though! WAR EAGLE!!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I don't believe you would ever see a 1-loss team ahead of an undefeated from one of the 5 major conferences (pac12/b10/b12/acc/sec) in the BCS rankings. The BCS is 1/3 computers and 2/3 humans and even if some of the computer rankings put the 1-loss team over the undefeated team, you won't have enough human voters do it to make it flip in the final BCS ranks.
Of course the point will be moot after this year anyways...
I'm really, really not trying to be a bomb thrower here. But to me, given the current state of the Big10, when does it stop being a major conference, and start being considered an also-ran? To be absolutely fair, Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas stink this year. But with TAMU and Missouri added to the mix and a resurgent Vanderbilt, there are plenty of good teams. Same thing with the Pac10. Yet when we look at the Big10, there's OSU, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and.... The sad decline of Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, et al, has really lowered the overall standing of the conference.

Pac-12 remains a strong No. 2 in college football conference rankings - ESPN

So while a rising tide lifts all boats, a ebb tide lowers them. While OSU has a great coach in Meyer and obvious talent, there has been no real way to judge the Buckeyes in terms of playing quality teams. Call it the Oregon effect. Oregon flogged seriously inferior competition all season long, but melted away when they actually encountered a team with a defensive line. Likewise, Ohio State hasn't had a test outside of Wisconsin in what has been a seriously depleted conference.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:11 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,996 times
No, what will happen is the usual. Ohio State and FSU both finish undefeated, then ALABAMA meets either AUBURN or MIZZU in the National Championship. It is in the NCAA rulebook that , Section 45, Paragraph 5d It says
"An SEC team must always be represented in the National Championship. Should two or more teams finish undefeated outside of the SEC, then two SEC teams will meet to decide the National Championship"

It is the SECs way of making sure that they always look good.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:31 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,364,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
No, what will happen is the usual. Ohio State and FSU both finish undefeated, then ALABAMA meets either AUBURN or MIZZU in the National Championship. It is in the NCAA rulebook that , Section 45, Paragraph 5d It says
"An SEC team must always be represented in the National Championship. Should two or more teams finish undefeated outside of the SEC, then two SEC teams will meet to decide the National Championship"

Non-SEC fan tears are tasty...

Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM

667 posts, read 1,083,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

lol

Old 11-30-2013, 05:30 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times
Simply incredible! What a game!! Congrats to Auburn.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Simply incredible! What a game!! Congrats to Auburn.
Period... Will not be a better game all year.

That was just amazing!!!

Congrats to Auburn!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
I say yes. OSU struggled mightily against a team that lost to Connecticut and a castrated Penn State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football