Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:27 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's a question: is this year's OSU team better than last year's ND team? I'm hoping the answer is "Yes."
Great question... damn good question.

Im not sure I can definitively say yes. On a neutral field... I think ND may have been able to pull it out. like you said... OSU gives up points. And ND would have been able to score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I don't see how Auburn can jump over Ohio State without them losing.

Auburn lost to a 3 loss LSU team. They needed a miracle play to beat an 8-4 Georgia team. Ohio State played 5 true away games, Auburn only played 4.

People should also not sleep on the fact that Ohio State is playing a very quality team in Michigan State for the Big Ten title. Beating them will only add to their resume.
Auburn has also played twice as many Top 25 teams this year than either OSU or FSU.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:17 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
They beat the two time, until-today undefeated champion. Im a B1G guy but IF Auburn wins the SEC I think they should get a shot at the title.

OSU squeaked by UM due to a missed 2 pt conversion and Buffalo and Fla A&M aren't quite powerhouses either.
I think most people would agree that beating U of A is a major accomplishment, but I think an undefeated Ohio State team - especially if they can beat 10-1 Michigan State - would be more deserving of playing for a national title than a 1-loss Auburn team, especially considering that the Tigers were pretty much dominated by a team that's probably destined to make it to the Chic Fil A bowl at best. Sure, that loss came at the beginning of the season, but if people are going to pick apart some of Ohio State's earlier struggles then it's only fair to do the same with Auburn. And again, Ohio State has won 20+ games in a row. I don't see how they couldn't be considered.

I still think Ohio State would get crushed by Florida State, and I could probably think of 3 or 4 teams that would make a more challenging opponent for the Noles. It doesn't matter. Ohio State deserves to play for the national title if they can beat the Spartans next weekend. I'm saying this as a pom-pom waving SEC fan, so I'm being objective here.

Unfortunately for the SEC, the one team that probably has the best chance at beating FSU was knocked off in an improbable upset this past Saturday. The remaining teams might possibly make the game entertaining for the first quarter or two, but it's really FSU's title to lose at this point. Maybe the Jameis Winston story becomes a major distraction and leads to a loss of focus, but that's really the only way I see the Noles losing. Right now, they're hands-down the best in the nation.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
I find it interesting that nobody seems to be talking about Mizzou, who I think actually has a very good chance of beating Auburn and being the SEC champion. I think it would be an outrage of Mizzou were to win the SEC and yet Alabama were to somehow sneak back into the number two position. If that happens, there's going to be a real legitimacy crisis in terms of the BCS title - probably the biggest one since the Huskers played the Hurricanes in 2001-2. They really, really need a rule to prevent something like this from happening.

Even though I hated having to play Alabama again in 2011 and fearing we'd lose, I was okay with Bama being the number two team because all of the other big name teams had at least one loss. It was simply a rematch of a very tight game (against the reigning number one) that had already been played earlier in the year, so it was obvious that Bama was a legit title contender. Moreover, in order to win the BCS, Bama had to go through its own conference champion. However, if Alabama were to usurp its own conference champion without actually having to play them, that would be a complete shame - and a sham.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I find it interesting that nobody seems to be talking about Mizzou, who I think actually has a very good chance of beating Auburn and being the SEC champion. I think it would be an outrage of Mizzou were to win the SEC and yet Alabama were to somehow sneak back into the number two position. If that happens, there's going to be a real legitimacy crisis in terms of the BCS title - probably the biggest one since the Huskers played the Hurricanes in 2001-2. They really, really need a rule to prevent something like this from happening.

Even though I hated having to play Alabama again in 2011 and fearing we'd lose, I was okay with Bama being the number two team because all of the other big name teams had at least one loss. It was simply a rematch of a very tight game (against the reigning number one) that had already been played earlier in the year, so it was obvious that Bama was a legit title contender. Moreover, in order to win the BCS, Bama had to go through its own conference champion. However, if Alabama were to usurp its own conference champion without actually having to play them, that would be a complete shame - and a sham.
Why a rule?

Playoffs make it possible for a team who loses when they shouldn't, have a chance to go back out and win like they should.

So are you against the playoff system?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

I don't see it that way. Alabama, imo, would be the best one loss team among the pack. If both OSU and Auburn lose, then I think Bama should play for the title.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Why a rule?

Playoffs make it possible for a team who loses when they shouldn't, have a chance to go back out and win like they should.

So are you against the playoff system?
Bama just lost the first round. They're out of the discussion. 2nd place in their division so they don't advance.

Quote:
I don't see it that way. Alabama, imo, would be the best one loss team among the pack. If both OSU and Auburn lose, then I think Bama should play for the title.
Why should Bama get a mulligan? The SEC champ with one loss should be ranked ahead of Bama no matter what. It's silly to think otherwise IMO. If Bama is so freaking good why have they won their division only once out of the last 4 years? Hype. Enough with it already.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yea... Between the one loss teams.

Bama lost to the BEST team and it was the closest game.

OK State lost to WV... Terrible
Michigan State lost to ND... Decent Bowl Team
Auburn lost to LSU... Top 15 team
Mizzou lost to SC... Top 8 team
Baylor lost OK State... Top 6 team
Bama lost to Auburn... Top 3 team

Old 12-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Why should Bama get a mulligan? The SEC champ with one loss should be ranked ahead of Bama no matter what. It's silly to think otherwise IMO. If Bama is so freaking good why can't they win their division more than once out of the last 4 years? Hype. Enough with it already.
No, the best one loss team should play for the title. Alabama's loss to 4th ranked Auburn was better than Mizzou's loss to 8th ranked South Carolina. And very few people would agree that Mizzou is a better team than Alabama.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:20 PM

On paper, last year's Notre Dame was a better team than this year's OSU team. Let me remind everyone what happened to a top ranked, undefeated Notre Team against Alabama.

2012 Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2013 BCS National Championship: Alabama Crimson Tide vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish Highlights - YouTube

It might be worth pulling up the threads from last year too. It needs to be clear to all why an "undefeated" record doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football