U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,088,811 times
Reputation: 7456

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
The same could be said for Urban Meyer. Give him a month and I bet you he has Ohio State ready for whoever they end up facing in their bowl game.

In the end I think this year just really shows why an 8 team playoff is the only fair way to determine the champion.

Yes playoffs are long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM
 
1,563 posts, read 1,661,842 times
Reputation: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Ha, haven't heard this much animosity towards Ohio State since the 2003 Fiesta Bowl against Miami!

Oh you better believe that if OSU takes care of business against Michigan State and ends up in the title game that crap will come up yet again.

Never mind that it was the right call.

Never mind that the game should have ended in regulation except that the officials didn't call a terrible defensive holding penalty on Miami.

Never mind that OSU won the game by beating the ever loving hell out out of a much more talented team yet they still get called soft, slow, weak, "scared of the SEC", etc.... They won that game my beating Miami into submission. That Buckeye team was good but that Miami team was all time great if you go by how many NFL players were on that team yet OSU punked them down and they get no credit for that. One of the greatest displays of heart in the history of sports in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
 
1,563 posts, read 1,661,842 times
Reputation: 1046
I just wish I knew in High School that going South of the Mason Dixon line would have made me "SEC Tough", raised my bench 100 pounts and cut a half second off my 40. I have family in Florida. I could have made it to the NFL had I known!

To hear SEC fanatics talk there is a magic portal on the MD line where this magical transformation takes place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,088,811 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Oh you better believe that if OSU takes care of business against Michigan State and ends up in the title game that crap will come up yet again.

Never mind that it was the right call.

Never mind that the game should have ended in regulation except that the officials didn't call a terrible defensive holding penalty on Miami.

Never mind that OSU won the game by beating the ever loving hell out out of a much more talented team yet they still get called soft, slow, weak, "scared of the SEC", etc.... They won that game my beating Miami into submission. That Buckeye team was good but that Miami team was all time great if you go by how many NFL players were on that team yet OSU punked them down and they get no credit for that. One of the greatest displays of heart in the history of sports in my opinion.

Ohio in general gets no love nationally. For example if the Browns ever made it to the Super Bowl and won, the pundits would say it was a fluke, or the lowest watched Super Bowl, or some crap like that! But I digress. I personally hope Ohio State wins this Saturday, gets into BCS Championship and stomps the crap out of whoever their oponent may be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Reputation: 46045
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Ohio in general gets no love nationally. For example if the Browns ever made it to the Super Bowl and won, the pundits would say it was a fluke, or the lowest watched Super Bowl, or some crap like that! But I digress. I personally hope Ohio State wins this Saturday, gets into BCS Championship and stomps the crap out of whoever their oponent may be!
Well, Ohio State has kind of earned their rep with their last two BCSCG appearances. The game against Florida was over by the end of the first quarter, and the LSU game was pretty much in the can by halftime. So in the back of the mind of college football fans everywhere there's the lurking question, "Is Ohio State good only good on paper, and will they do the same el foldo the way they did the last two appearances?"

Oklahoma would face the same issue after their epic bedwettings against LSU and USC. Meanwhile, SEC teams actually take care of business as demonstrated in the last umpteen national championship games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,810,358 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, Ohio State has kind of earned their rep with their last two BCSCG appearances. The game against Florida was over by the end of the first quarter, and the LSU game was pretty much in the can by halftime. So in the back of the mind of college football fans everywhere there's the lurking question, "Is Ohio State good only good on paper, and will they do the same el foldo the way they did the last two appearances?"

Oklahoma would face the same issue after their epic bedwettings against LSU and USC. Meanwhile, SEC teams actually take care of business as demonstrated in the last umpteen national championship games.
The Florida loss was definitely a shame for the program, but you could argue the team that lost to LSU shouldn't have been in that game after losing to Illinois at home. People do seem to forget the NCG win over Miami. Only Kirk Herstreit picked Ohio State to win that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,612,901 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yep. And being that he spent time in the SEC, he knows their brand of football, and how to beat them. However; I don't want to look past Michigan State. They have a pretty solid defense.
lol!

It's not like other college coaches don't know the SEC brand of football. You have to do more than know what it is; you have to have the personnel to actually play against it. Urban Meyer's a great coach, but I seriously doubt OSU has the personnel to beat Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,856,625 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Who said Missouri was underrated? Missouri was ranked #4 in 2007 and in the top 20 in 2008 and 2010.
And if they win the SEC it will be their first conference championship since 1969. Lofl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 PM
 
Location: The Eastern Shore
2,138 posts, read 596,411 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
If the SEC is an awesome conference, how can the rise of Mizzou be explained? They were not suppose to be playing for an SEC title two years after leaving the B12. Not in the vaunted SEC.
For one, if you have watched Mizzou you know they are a very good team, no matter the conference. Every year is different, and you can't compare their years in the Big 12 with the years in the SEC. They have recruited very well, have a stout D and playmakers on offense. Plus, take a look at their schedule. They started with four cupcakes,which is no surprise for any team, then they played Vanderbilt, a down Georgia, Kentucky, and Ole Miss as their away games. They also played a horrible Florida team, horrible UT team, and Texas A&M with a hurt Johnny Manziel. The best team they played was South Carolina and they lost, but it was a great game though. Point is, it really isn't surprising when you look at their schedule, plus the players. I'm not taking anything away from them, as they deserve to be where they are, just my take on it.

As far as OSU, they are hugely overrated. Terrible schedule. The best team they beat is an unranked Wisconsin. The B1G is a joke. In my opinion, a one loss SEC school should be there over OSU. My opinion may change if they beat Michigan St. handily however.

Full disclosure, I am an Alabama and SEC fan, so take that for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,439,443 times
Reputation: 4876
Weakest No 2?

Are you kidding me.

So they win 24 in a row and the Buckeye haters still believe they dont deserve a shot.

Amazing.


Florida St is the weakest No. 1 I have seen in a long while actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top