U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,801,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Because Florida State kicked their opponets butt and by a long shot, and Ohio State didn't. They wouldn't be undefeated in the SEC or Pac 12.
Largely blowing out opponents that are arguably worse than the ones Ohio State throttled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 05:34 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,801,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

Edit : The ACC isn't great either, but there isn't much difference between the two.
All the more reason why the Ohio State haters should also be questioning Florida State's validity.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:31 PM

667 posts, read 1,083,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
All the more reason why the Ohio State haters should also be questioning Florida State's validity.
The B10 and ACC are similar strength conferences. The difference is that OSU dominated some teams and squeaked past a few. FSU crushed everyone they played. Their closest victory was 14 points and their next closest game was 27 points. Their D is allowing about half the points that OSU's defense allows.

That said, I think going 13-0 in any of the big 5 conferences is better than going 12-1, so I definitely think if OSU wins Saturday they deserve to go the the NCG.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,916,621 times
Also, I would like to point out that the SEC has distinct advantages that are often ignored. The one advantage that comes to mind is the weather, I would love to see an SEC team play football up north in Nov/Dec and during bowl season. How about Alabama @ Michigan in last week's weather, where the hits sting alot more in the cold.

All conferences provide their fair share of NFL players. If the SEC is so much better then why isn't the NFL dominated by SEC players.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 AM

FSU's strength of schedule is actually worse than OSU. ACC is revered because this is north versus south thing.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Home games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, Ohio State has kind of earned their rep with their last two BCSCG appearances. The game against Florida was over by the end of the first quarter, and the LSU game was pretty much in the can by halftime. So in the back of the mind of college football fans everywhere there's the lurking question, "Is Ohio State good only good on paper, and will they do the same el foldo the way they did the last two appearances?"

Oklahoma would face the same issue after their epic bedwettings against LSU and USC. Meanwhile, SEC teams actually take care of business as demonstrated in the last umpteen national championship games.
OSU flat out under estimated Florida. OSU watched ESPN too much that year...talk like "OSU and UM was the championship game"

The LSU game was home game for LSU. I like LSU alot, I really do...but having championship games at home is a huge advantage.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Also, I would like to point out that the SEC has distinct advantages that are often ignored. The one advantage that comes to mind is the weather, I would love to see an SEC team play football up north in Nov/Dec and during bowl season. How about Alabama @ Michigan in last week's weather, where the hits sting alot more in the cold.

All conferences provide their fair share of NFL players. If the SEC is so much better then why isn't the NFL dominated by SEC players.
It isn't now, but lately the NFL has been drafting more and more SEC players. In the 2013 draft, there have been twice as many SEC draftees than Big Ten draftees, for example.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM

667 posts, read 1,083,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
FSU's strength of schedule is actually worse than OSU.
Yes, Sagarin has OSU at 61 and FSU at 66. OSU's is better. But those figures (66 vs 61) are pretty close in the grand scale of 124 teams being ranked. Far closer than the results of their games have been, once you look beyond the W and look at the scores and how they played.
So that is why I give more weight to the game results data than the schedule strength numbers.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
It isn't now, but lately the NFL has been drafting more and more SEC players. In the 2013 draft, there have been twice as many SEC draftees than Big Ten draftees, for example.
And that margin has been getting greater every year for awhile.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Link to 2012 and 2013
SEC Breaks Record with 63 Players Selected in 2013 NFL Draft | Bleacher Report

I dont have bleacher's 2011 report.

2010 and prior yrs
Best College Football Conference? Don't Ask the NFL | Bleacher Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football