U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,923,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Yes, Sagarin has OSU at 61 and FSU at 66. OSU's is better. But those figures (66 vs 61) are pretty close in the grand scale of 124 teams being ranked. Far closer than the results of their games have been, once you look beyond the W and look at the scores and how they played.
So that is why I give more weight to the game results data than the schedule strength numbers.
I agree. I am not a fan of either SOS or winning margin, but as you know, College Football sales love to see the arguments between fans. In reality, on a personal level, I think we, the sports fanatics, have played enough sports on our own to agree that SOS and winning margins are false positives. With that said, I think its crap.

Given our current format of basically playing your scheduled games and championship games, the teams with the best record deserves a shot. And this concept should NOT apply to mid majors and below. So, if OSU or FSU loses then a one lose team should be provided a shot.

An SEC team should NOT be provided an automatic shot. Auburn's argument is not valid, because they have played this same type of Alabama team every year and they "finally" beat them. What about the other 1 lose teams.

I simply cannot wait for a playoff system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 AM

667 posts, read 1,087,576 times
I think the W-L record should trump everything, for all schools in the 5 major FBS conferences. (Sorry NIU). So if OSU and FSU take care of business- they're in. The question becomes how do you tie-break if there's not exactly 2 undefeated teams. That's when SOS, winning margins, when did you lose, etc, all come into the discussion. I don't think either team has as good of a SOS resume as some of the other 1-loss teams. But at the moment that doesn't matter cuz they're both undefeated and are in the drivers seat.
Let's just hope the Buckeyes put Sparty down tomorrow night!
OH!!
IO!!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 AM

159 posts, read 376,791 times
Fla St and Ohio St both played WEAK Schedules

Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM

14,639 posts, read 22,487,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
If the SEC is an awesome conference, how can the rise of Mizzou be explained? They were not suppose to be playing for an SEC title two years after leaving the B12. Not in the vaunted SEC.
Because when you play good teams you eventually get good... some quickly and some slowly.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM

667 posts, read 1,087,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit18b View Post
Fla St and Ohio St both played WEAK Schedules
No, they played "average" schedules, relative to the 124 FBS schools. 61st and 66th are about in the middle. Alabama was 48th, also pretty close to the middle. Some of the other SEC teams were harder, because they played more of the better SEC teams than Alabama did. Many of the Pac12 teams played the hardest schedules.

College Football Ratings Page

Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 PM

203 posts, read 278,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
No, they played "average" schedules, relative to the 124 FBS schools. 61st and 66th are about in the middle. Alabama was 48th, also pretty close to the middle. Some of the other SEC teams were harder, because they played more of the better SEC teams than Alabama did. Many of the Pac12 teams played the hardest schedules.

College Football Ratings Page
Good data source... But Im waiting until after FSU plays Duke (40) and OSU plays MSU (13) to compare the their SoS

If both favorites win, OSU will have more (and higher quality) wins (Wisc 10, MSU 13, Iowa 25, Mich 39) than FSU (Clem 15, Duke 40, Miami 41) and won a better conference (http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html)

I agree with Colley matrix's rankings... If the favorites all win this week: #1 SEC champ, #2 OSU, #3 FSU barely ahead of #4 Standford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football