Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should SEC ban the scheduling of FCS teams?
Yes, SEC should follow B1G and ban the scheduling of FCS teams 1 7.14%
No, SEC should not follow B1G and ban the scheduling of FCS teams 4 28.57%
Yes and all FBS teams should only play FBS teams 8 57.14%
No and no FBS teams should only play FBS teams 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Fallacious? Oregon played 9 conference games this year. Along with the rest of the Pac12 and Big12 and soon the B1G will as well. Stanford and UCLA played 10.

The sec is transforming to a more offense oriented league do to multiple reasons. What was the score of the SEC CG? Those weren't the defensive powers of the SEC. They were however the best teams. (Minus Bama.)
You're right about one thing -- the SEC did play one less conference opponent.

Even so, it hardly matters. They've proven themselves in the bowls over the past few years, I'd say, especially once you have even pairings. I'd be more than fine with scheduling an extra conference game, but like the remaining conferences. The risk of an extra loss will be tolerable needing only to break into the top four instead of the top two.

But I think the other point still stands: The other conferences schedule patsies too. SEC's hardly alone. I think it's a bigger shame that teams like Oklahoma end up always starting the season in the top ten due to their hype machine, only to have the reality unveiled as the season wears on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's funny thing when you write on the Internet... Their is a record of it.

Now you can just say you misspoke... And didn't mean it or were just wrong.

Regardless... You said it.
As to the other guy. Let's try this again. Acceptance rate means nothing. You can have tons of idiots, who should be going to technical school, applying to a certain university. That doesn't mean anything. It's all a metric of supply vs demand. If you live in a populous state, you will find more applications. It depends on the number of seats in a freshman class. If you want to determine the quality of a university..well ideally we would use starting salary and job placement since higher education is about getting a job and not longer about learning. Sadly, we don't have any reliable data for that. Instead, 6-year graduation, freshman retention rate(that means the number of freshman who make it to sophomore year - some drop out, some transfer) and average SAT score, ranking(s) - plural is key. US News, Times, QS and Washington monthly are the only decent ones..US News is kinda bull**** though. You can also look at GPA and class rank, but they're both objective. If you live in an affluent area with high quality schools, your GPA may be lower than someone who goes to a school in the middle of nowhere where you're able to take the tests as many times as you need(yup it happens. Crazy right)

Second, whoops, you caught me. I did misspeak. Sorry, but in my defense, they don't care about football...they care about the possible money, donations, attention and student applications it can bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football