Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,884 times

Advertisements

I think he has been a great coach. It seems to me too much pressure is placed on coaches these days. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think Nick comes to UT. Alabama fans are so irrational and Texas would be the place I would want to retire if I were Saban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
He's already gone. What you are hearing - mainly from his lawyer, who also is a multi -million donor to UT - is the negotiation of his severance package, up from what is in his contract ($2.75M). After the BYU and Ole Miss losses, he was told if he won the B12, and got in a BCS bowl, he stays. He didn't.

I think it is 50/50 that Saban comes here. There are plenty of folks, lots closer than me, with some exquisite detail of what has or hasn't happened. I do know, from multiple sources, that his wife has made at least two trips here house hunting. Part of it is salary, part of it is off ledger deals, part of it is unlimited budget for assistant coaches, and part of it is the challenge of being the first guy to win NCs at three different schools. All makes sense to me - but CNS will make his decision based on what makes sense to him.

Interesting that plenty of colleges with high demand coaches - Sumlin, Mahlzahn, Freeze - have all announced extensions, etc, to fend off suitors. Nothing from UA and CNS. Has to be a reason why.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTmadisen View Post
I think he has been a great coach. It seems to me too much pressure is placed on coaches these days. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think Nick comes to UT. Alabama fans are so irrational and Texas would be the place I would want to retire if I were Saban.
Too much pressure? The man is being paid 5.4 million dollars a year to COACH FOOTBALL! He's been promising for three years that we were going to be competing for a national championship in 2013. That hasn't happened. He set those expectations himself. This sense of entitlement a lot of coaches have is getting ridiculous. If you don't want pressure there are plenty of places you can coach in a pressure free environment. Texas isn't one of them.

If any regular guy sucked at their job for four straight years they would be fired. But now it's all, "poor old Mack." I don't hate the guy and I think he was absolutely the right hire for our program in 1998, but once you start resting on your laurels and using your past to excuse your present performance it's time to go. What would you say if a doctor performing surgery on you started becoming lax and ineffective but claimed how many surgeries he did well for 20 years prior? Obviously football isn't as important as medical care, but that's all the more reason these coaches need to be thankful for the time they have had and not to feel so entitled. They're making MILLIONS doing something that they love. How many of us even get to say we're making a decent living doing what we love? Let alone millions.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 5,884 times
You make good points. I miss the days of traditional powerhouse teams like UT, OU, Bama that had coaches with deep roots with their schools. It is mostly about money now with the modern day coaches.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Too much pressure? The man is being paid 5.4 million dollars a year to COACH FOOTBALL!
My thought exactly.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Chip Brown has already said that Mack is leaving. He is never wrong about anything this big involving UT. Saban, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Urban Meyer, David Shaw, and I'm sure some others are top targets.

Last edited by mark311; 12-12-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Apparently the "off ledger deal" (the "refinancing" of Saban's soured real estate investment fiasco) is the big carrot besides a record-busting salary package being employed to lure him to Texas. In spite of what a few here might say, Austin is a heckuva lot more attractive place to live than Tuscaloosa.

Thanks Mack for elevating UT back to a crystal football, but please retire gracefully and quit trying to gouge for more money on top of your agreed contract buyout.

People are forgetting that in addition to his UT contract, the TRS annuity will bring him $1.5 - $2 million per year for the rest of his life.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Chip Brown has already said that Mack is leaving. He is never wrong about anything this big involving UT.
Uhh, he was wrong about Texas leaving for the PAC 12, he denied the Sexton/Hicks meeting story for about ten months, was all in on Bowlsby being the new AD, and he is about a month late to the Mack resignation party.

There is some one else that has been nails on all of this, for over a year, and it ain't ole Chipper.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Uhh, he was wrong about Texas leaving for the PAC 12, he denied the Sexton/Hicks meeting story for about ten months, was all in on Bowlsby being the new AD, and he is about a month late to the Mack resignation party.

There is some one else that has been nails on all of this, for over a year, and it ain't ole Chipper.
Ha. Well, mostly right. The PAC 12 thing just fell apart at the end, but I do think Texas had strong intentions to go that route especially from Powers. But yeah, maybe always right isn't the best description. In most of those cases though I think the inside people were just giving out information that wasn't finalized where Mack Brown leaving sounds like it's finalized now.

Chip probably didn't want to jump the gun a month ago. They're all getting the information from the same friends inside UT anyway. I don't think any of the Orangebloods guys are just making this stuff up out of thin air. Now where I'm from in San Diego, we had a guy named Lee Hacksaw Hamilton that did indeed make up stuff out of thin air. I haven't seen that from too many local sports guys here in Austin.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post

Are you talkin' about Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football