Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should SEC ban the scheduling of FCS teams?
Yes, SEC should follow B1G and ban the scheduling of FCS teams 1 7.14%
No, SEC should not follow B1G and ban the scheduling of FCS teams 4 28.57%
Yes and all FBS teams should only play FBS teams 8 57.14%
No and no FBS teams should only play FBS teams 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times

Advertisements

So I've been analyzing the schedules of different schools after the blow out last night. Big 10 has banned playing FCS teams starting 2016. This topic has been beaten to death, but I wanted to poll current thoughts. What do y'all think?

I think the SEC should do the same. There are plenty of schools in the Sun Belt that would very much want to play SEC schools. Also would allow key big 5 scheduling with big 12, ACC and even the big 10. It would be much better ball(possible Florida-GA Southern or App St-Michigan upsets - GA Southern and App State are going to the Sun Belt next year). It would help those programs grow and develop and bring in money. The bigger conferences would get better ball, more money due to the more relevant audience of FBS teams and it would insure more rivalries are kept together. Especially in the SEC where we have so many non-conference rivalries. We could keep all those and also play half-decent teams and with little travel.

I would love to see SEC West teams play UT-Austin, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State more. SEC East can play more ACC and big 10 schools. Both divisions can play more Sun Belt schools.

Should SEC, Pac-12, ACC and big 12 follow suit? Hell maybe even Sun Belt and other programs?

Discuss

WAR DAMN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,793 times
First, I'd rather see them and the rest of the conferences follow suit and play 9 conference games like the Pac12 and Big12 do. I'm all for eliminating FBS/FCS games.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
First, I'd rather see them and the rest of the conferences follow suit and play 9 conference games like the Pac12 and Big12 do. I'm all for eliminating FBS/FCS games.
Question,

Do 9 game scheduling result in more money?

Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Question,

Do 9 game scheduling result in more money?
More money for who? It just doesn't make sense to expand these conferences but not increase the conference schedule to at least mirror other major conferences. The fans that attend the games deserve it and so do the players. Part of the deal with the B1G not playing FCS schools is they are also moving to a nine game conference schedule.

I agree with Saban.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...ec-scheduling/

Last edited by nevergoingback; 12-08-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 01:22 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times
It's good for the SEC to continue to play the SoCon (FCS) teams... It helps their fanbase since the SoCon schools are in the same states.

But none of you seem to get this...

At the end of the day CFB is business. And it's good for business, period!

Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's good for the SEC to continue to play the SoCon (FCS) teams... It helps their fanbase since the SoCon schools are in the same states.

But none of you seem to get this...

At the end of the day CFB is business. And it's good for business, period!
Alumni/supporters/students at the top are at the top for a reason. FCS schools don't need to be playing football. Wasting all these kid's money on spots. Most FCS schools don't even care about football. FBS teams at least have a shot of cutting even or profiting with athletics.

It's all a marketing ploy. These low class schools get to say "we have football too!" and that's how they get students in the door. As a matter of fact, there was a study that found a winning football season resulted in more college applications - thus bringing down the acceptance rate and boosting US News rankings - which results in more students applying.

But my question is is big 10's 9 game scheduling going to bring in money? Everything is driven by money, not by football. There must be some incentive for them to do that. Any ideas on why?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,753 times
Quote:
Alumni/supporters/students at the top are at the top for a reason. FCS schools don't need to be playing football. Wasting all these kid's money on spots. Most FCS schools don't even care about football. FBS teams at least have a shot of cutting even or profiting with athletics.

It's all a marketing ploy. These low class schools get to say "we have football too!" and that's how they get students in the door. As a matter of fact, there was a study that found a winning football season resulted in more college applications - thus bringing down the acceptance rate and boosting US News rankings - which results in more students applying.

But my question is is big 10's 9 game scheduling going to bring in money? Everything is driven by money, not by football. There must be some incentive for them to do that. Any ideas on why?
So that explains why UCF for many years has been Top 3 in student enrollment (football juggernaut there)... Speaking on the state of Florida, FIU has more enrolled than either UF, FSU, or Miami. FIU has always done poorly in football; just this year they are 1-11 and pretty much last in all team statistics.

As to the FCS, they care about athletics too. The reason for the scheduling against the FBS is they get nice pay checks (half a million plus per game). These paychecks allow them to support their athletic programs, not just football. Occasionally, they surprise the world and win. These wins get them better recruits and more donor money.

All the Big10 is doing is stopping them from looking like fools when teams like Northern Iowa continue to beat them. Now they are just replacing them with lower tier FBS. Same difference.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:15 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times
Quote:

You obviously are not familiar with the SoCon... Smh

If you really believe those schools don't care about football, then you sir are misinformed. I suggest you do some research. The SoCon is the south's version of the MAC. They put plenty of players in the NFL. The student body numbers are just not large enough to be FBS. But the schools are old... And have TONS of influential alumni. For example... The owner of the Carolina Panthers is a Wofford Grad and was an all American there.

You can continue to duck your head in the sand... But the SEC benefits from playing the SoCon. Whether you like it or not.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:

It will bring in money due the fact that teams will have more quality opponents at home (ticket sales and tv money). Also will sometimes help their SOS which might help get them a spot in the new playoff over a team that played an FCS school and other patsies OOC.

Florida paid $500,000 to get beat at home by Georgia Southern. The teams that pay FCS teams need to stop it, step up and get with the rest of CFB or eventually they will be left behind. It may take awhile but it will happen.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Yeh, I think Florida is going to avoid Georgia Southern for the duration now! *cue the Southern Conference chant*
"SC! SC! SC!"

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 12-08-2013 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football