U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,187,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
The state likes its football.

At the risk of sounding like a big homer, I'll acknowledge what Texas Tech has done to Jones AT&T Stadium in the OP's time span. The university has spent around $135 million to build 84 luxury suites, 1500 club seats, a 3800 sq ft HD video board, and various other enhancements. Around 8000 seats have been added to increase the stadium's overall capacity since 2000 (a record 61,836 showed up for the Oklahoma State game in November, and the Texas State game drew a similar crowd).
Tech was mentioned.

Thing is, this thread is really about stadiums that are either brand new/new-ish (UNT, SMU), under construction (U of H and Baylor), or were rebuilt to the point where it's completely unrecognizable. I know Jones Stadium had some renovations over the last 14 years but it still looks somewhat the same as it did in 2000. "The Carter" at TCU is pretty much a brand new facility all together. Kyle's renovation is going to add an entire section to the south endzone, remodel some of the sideline seats, build a brand new facade and give that bat-infested concourse a much, MUCH needed face lift.

The stadiums I mentioned are either new, upcoming, or pretty much an entirely different stadium all together. Jones Stadium in Lubbock just expanded what it already had. Same with Texas State.

See what I'm saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM

572 posts, read 783,561 times
One reason for the partial roof at Baylor's new stadium could be that it provides a protective covering for a higher quality public address system for the upper seating areas.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,381,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Shift key on your keyboard doesn't work at the beginning of a sentence? Or is that how you were taught at Baylor?

Baylor is long overdue for a stadium. The tarp will be gone for good, eh?
Tarp smack? lol

My guess is Texas could buy that second hand tarp and dye it Burnt Orange for use in Memorial Stadium.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,742,619 times
Quote:
The state likes its football.

At the risk of sounding like a big homer, I'll acknowledge what Texas Tech has done to Jones AT&T Stadium in the OP's time span. The university has spent around $135 million to build 84 luxury suites, 1500 club seats, a 3800 sq ft HD video board, and various other enhancements. Around 8000 seats have been added to increase the stadium's overall capacity since 2000 (a record 61,836 showed up for the Oklahoma State game in November, and the Texas State game drew a similar crowd).
Yeah, Tech's stadium is not a total rebuild, but it's vastly improved from what it used to be!

I like Baylor's new stadium. It looks very sleek and modern to me. Since it will be on campus and alongside the river it'll be in a much better location too.

As for the other stadiums mentioned, A&M's rebuild looks very impressive! It won't even look like the old Kyle Field when fully completed. I'm really glad that UH is getting a new stadium. It looks good to me and is long overdue. UNT's new stadium looks nice as well. I don't remember what Ford stadium looked like before so it's hard for me to comment on that one. IMO, TCU's rebuilt stadium is a big improvement. I really like the overall design of that one.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,548,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Tarp smack? lol

My guess is Texas could buy that second hand tarp and dye it Burnt Orange for use in Memorial Stadium.
You guys don't need to buy second hand tarps. If you need a new one, you'll get one make from burnt orange carbon fiber.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,842,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Shift key on your keyboard doesn't work at the beginning of a sentence? Or is that how you were taught at Baylor?

Baylor is long overdue for a stadium. The tarp will be gone for good, eh?
No, that is not how we were taught at Baylor.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,155,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Tech was mentioned.

Thing is, this thread is really about stadiums that are either brand new/new-ish (UNT, SMU), under construction (U of H and Baylor), or were rebuilt to the point where it's completely unrecognizable. I know Jones Stadium had some renovations over the last 14 years but it still looks somewhat the same as it did in 2000. "The Carter" at TCU is pretty much a brand new facility all together. Kyle's renovation is going to add an entire section to the south endzone, remodel some of the sideline seats, build a brand new facade and give that bat-infested concourse a much, MUCH needed face lift.

The stadiums I mentioned are either new, upcoming, or pretty much an entirely different stadium all together. Jones Stadium in Lubbock just expanded what it already had. Same with Texas State.

See what I'm saying?
Jones Stadium looks a LOT better than it did in 2000. The west side complex, finished in 2003, replaced an extremely dated building ("trailer on stilts") so that it fit in with the rest of campus. The east side building (2010) and the north end zone colonnade (2013), and even the field-level brick wall (2006) did much the same. Although stands are largely the same, and the south end zone office building and the former ticket office on the N. Side are still there, it is a vastly more aesthetically-pleasing stadium than in 2000.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I don't remember what Ford stadium looked like before so it's hard for me to comment on that one.
Ford Stadium didn't exist.

I think it was just a practice field and some bleachers on one side before that.

You could see it on "Pony Exce$$".

Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Jones Stadium looks a LOT better than it did in 2000. The west side complex, finished in 2003, replaced an extremely dated building ("trailer on stilts") so that it fit in with the rest of campus. The east side building (2010) and the north end zone colonnade (2013), and even the field-level brick wall (2006) did much the same. Although stands are largely the same, and the south end zone office building and the former ticket office on the N. Side are still there, it is a vastly more aesthetically-pleasing stadium than in 2000.
It does, but it's still the same stadium that has extra, shinier bells and whistles.

It may look different on the outside, but it's pretty much the same on the inside as it was 20 years ago, except for the endzone expansions, of course.

TCU's stadium is the the same stadium on the same site... however, about 90% of it is all brand new. The only thing that remains from the original stadium is the lower bowl, and even that was refurbished and got brand new seats.

That's what I mean by "new or rebuilt".

Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,742,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ford Stadium didn't exist.

I think it was just a practice field and some bleachers on one side before that.

You could see it on "Pony Exce$$".
Oh okay, that certainly explains why I don't remember it....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football