U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Status: "Come to Texas. We still have plastic straws!" (set 7 days ago)

47,096 posts, read 37,206,123 times

Advertisements

Strong was, admittedly, a surprising choice. But the board and Steve Patterson apparently liked what they saw, and his track record speaks for itself. Now, we have to see what impression he'll make on the students in spring practice. Time will tell if he can bring UT back to its rightful place among college football's elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:50 PM

18,673 posts, read 27,162,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
I went to the DFW area a long time ago and was shocked at how different Texas was. Like another world almost
Explain?

As far as the hire. I like it. Will love it when I see the coordinators he will surround himself with. I do love that he is a no nonsense head coach and will bring a toughness and physical attitude that's been missing with this program for years. Teams have been surprised by how unphysical Texas teams were in some years with Mack.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM

51,038 posts, read 26,910,452 times
I'm not surprised in the least that they hired a black coach.

I would be surprised if he's given adequate time to turn Texas into a big winner.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM

8,414 posts, read 8,425,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I am surprised they hired a black coach.

I am not surprised they are saying he was the only one they asked so as to preserve their ego in that they could not land Saban.
Why is that?
How many SEC schools have never hired a black head football coach? Or the Big10, the PAC12, the ACC?

People need to get over the race card.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM

293 posts, read 378,437 times
Boosters already circling:

Booster Red McCombs bashes Texas Longhorns for Charlie Strong hire - ESPN

Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM

6,592 posts, read 10,338,947 times
Red McCombs stepped in it big time by blasting the Strong hire and suggesting he'd be a "good position coach." I know Red McCombs has more money than God, but he's an idiot. Regardless of intent when you say garbage like that the race cards will come flying from every direction.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 PM

51,038 posts, read 26,910,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Why is that?
How many SEC schools have never hired a black head football coach? Or the Big10, the PAC12, the ACC?

People need to get over the race card.
Look...mentioning race isn't always tantamount to playing a "race card."

This is Texas we're talking about here. Let's not ignore the elephant in the room as if it's not standing there. This is the last school to win a national championship with an all white team.

That said, no one is saying that UT is a racist institution. Obviously it's not, but to pretend that any very large and storied program in the south doesn't have some trepidation about bringing a black man in to run its most beloved sports institution (college football) is silly. There ARE issues.

Charlie Strong to put it mildly, will have to deal with a class of booster that IS NOT accustomed to dealing with a black man with the power that comes with being the UT head coach, and to boot, Strong isn't a Texan and he isn't familiar with the kind of gladhanding, skid greasing, and baby kissing that comes with that position. Louisville is an excellent job, but it ain't Texas and the amount of politicking he'll need to do to smooth over egos at UT isn't really required at Louisville.

So it's totally fair to ask oneself if Strong will fit in. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he's not exactly what many boosters and alumni were looking for.

That aside, winning will put all that nonsense on the backburner.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,588,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Red McCombs stepped in it big time by blasting the Strong hire and suggesting he'd be a "good position coach." I know Red McCombs has more money than God, but he's an idiot. Regardless of intent when you say garbage like that the race cards will come flying from every direction.

Agreed, somebody needs to tell McCombs to shut up already. But because he gives a lot of money to the school I'm pretty sure he'll get a past.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM

8,414 posts, read 8,425,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look...mentioning race isn't always tantamount to playing a "race card."

This is Texas we're talking about here. Let's not ignore the elephant in the room as if it's not standing there. This is the last school to win a national championship with an all white team.

That said, no one is saying that UT is a racist institution. Obviously it's not, but to pretend that any very large and storied program in the south doesn't have some trepidation about bringing a black man in to run its most beloved sports institution (college football) is silly. There ARE issues.

Charlie Strong to put it mildly, will have to deal with a class of booster that IS NOT accustomed to dealing with a black man with the power that comes with being the UT head coach, and to boot, Strong isn't a Texan and he isn't familiar with the kind of gladhanding, skid greasing, and baby kissing that comes with that position. Louisville is an excellent job, but it ain't Texas and the amount of politicking he'll need to do to smooth over egos at UT isn't really required at Louisville.

So it's totally fair to ask oneself if Strong will fit in. I'm sure he'll be fine, but he's not exactly what many boosters and alumni were looking for.

That aside, winning will put all that nonsense on the backburner.
There isn't any issue with Strong's race here. 40-50 years ago, yeah. How many of the D1 schools up nawth have never had a black head football coach?

Most Texas fans that I've read on the UT sportsboards are thrilled about Strong's hire. Dinosaur billionaire boosters like McCombs & Jamial are not running the show anymore, plus there are a dozen more who are backing the new ballsy AD Patterson and in turn, Strong. Patterson will be dealing with the boosters for the most part, unlike Brown who schmoozed too close with them. I thought it was very unethical of Brown to have the billionaire lawyer/booster Jamial represent him in negotiating & trying to re-negotiate his severance & reassignment contract from coaching. Apparently his $2.75 million lump sum plus $500,000/year until 2020 (as per the original contract) wasn't enough. Damn greedy if you ask me.

McCombs is behaving like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way and is only embarrassing himself. Somebody ought to give him a Metamucil cookie and make him sit in the corner.

Strong has been hired to win football games & championships, not to kiss billionaires' butts. That resonates well with the fans.

Of course in 4 or 5 more years if Strong hasn't won the conference, he will be out too.

We want bang for our $150,000,000 bucks.

Last edited by ScoPro; 01-07-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,756,966 times
^^^I agree ScoPro! Red McCombs needs to shut his pie hole.

IMO, Charlie Strong is a good hire. From everything I've seen so far, Strong is not a "CEO" type coach. As a result, he's exactly what Texas needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football