Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times

Advertisements

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
He'll get a shot at the NFL, but I doubt he'll be a first-round pick. I'm thinking low 2nd, early 3rd round. His problem is there are guys like Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, and Derek Carr in this year's draft and compared to them AJ is pretty bland.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
He'll get a shot at the NFL, but I doubt he'll be a first-round pick. I'm thinking low 2nd, early 3rd round. His problem is there are guys like Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, and Derek Carr in this year's draft and compared to them AJ is pretty bland.

I agree. Im just trying hard to look at the intangibles and predict the future ( a wasted endeavor usually). He seems to have alot of traits that make a great nfl qb. Calm, poise, accepting of responsibility in loss. Similiar to Tom Brady.. Now Im not saying he'll be a Brady, but if Tom can be a 6th rd pick and suceed greatly, I think AJ has a shot at least at being a solid NFL backup QB in this league.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
There are some very poor QBs in the NFL, and AJ is better than many of them. But AJ looked slow against OU. Not just with his feet but his decision making. He did not help his draft status last night.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I don't think AJ's going to be a particularly strong QB draft choice. OU definitely exposed his weaknesses last night, which were concealed against teams that couldn't get past Alabama's offensive line in the past. But he wasn't too good at avoiding the blitz. His arm strength and accuracy are fair, I suppose, but there are QBs out there who are a bit more dynamic.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:16 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Under the right coach and system, I believe he can be successful. He's a very intelligent QB and rarely makes poor decisions - last night he made a few, but he was also wise enough to throw the ball away as well. He doesn't have the arm strength or speed to be an elite NFL QB, but as long as he's there to complement a strong running game and not be asked to do too much by himself, he can at least be effective. Sort of like Alex Smith - not flashy, but a good game manager.

The kid is a winner regardless, and I will be pulling for him in the NFL.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Under the right coach and system, I believe he can be successful. He's a very intelligent QB and rarely makes poor decisions - last night he made a few, but he was also wise enough to throw the ball away as well. He doesn't have the arm strength or speed to be an elite NFL QB, but as long as he's there to complement a strong running game and not be asked to do too much by himself, he can at least be effective. Sort of like Alex Smith - not flashy, but a good game manager.

The kid is a winner regardless, and I will be pulling for him in the NFL.
I like him - and have watched him quite a bit this year and last. The game against OU showed though that his decision making is problematic. Early on he made some poor throws (the INTs). Later he either took sacks or threw the ball away almost right away. Play calling could have been a factor - but AJ's decision making includes before the snap - when he could have changed the play.

I think he will play in the NFL, but not necessarily as a starter. He is less athletic than someone like Ryan Tannehill.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
The biggest problem I see with McCarron is that he's too slow. If he were somehow the next Tom Brady and if I saw him having that sixth sense of being able to sense when someone's closing in on him, and if I thought he had the kind of field vision that Brady had, then I'd say he has a chance. But I just don't see it. I see a guy who gets into trouble when the pocket collapses around him, and at the college level, McCarron's benefited from the unevenness of the talent - Alabama's offensive line has been extremely dominant for most of his career. He's not going to have that edge at the pros. I could see him maybe being another Matt Flynn possibly, but that's it. I think he could be an asset to a team in some way, because he's a smart, disciplined player who understands the game, but I don't see him having the athleticism to be an effective or reliable starter.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,680 times
Why would anyone draft him? He was just a game manager. It is tough handing balls to guys like Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, and Eddie Lacy. When he was forced to throw, he showed weakness.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Why would anyone draft him? He was just a game manager. It is tough handing balls to guys like Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, and Eddie Lacy. When he was forced to throw, he showed weakness.
I fall in this camp as well. Having a huge offensive line that gives you tons of time is a huge factor. I don't think he got dirty in the NC vs Notre Dame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football