U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,756,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Seems another example of a weaker conference having to 'get up' for one game all season, playing a team who had to be up for almost half of them. FSU Talented...sure but not undefeated through an SEC schedule.
If Auburn had the tougher schedule, and was way more battle-tested by playing in the tough SEC, then beating this FSU team from the incy, wincy, ACC should of been a cake walk. Playing FSU should have been a breath of fresh air considering all the competition they had to face in the big bad SEC. So why, and how did they lose? Were there some key injuries that Auburn sustained during their season that I forgot about? I mean, the more battle-tested team should be victorious. Since the SEC is the way tougher conference, FSU should have been the easiest game Auburn played all year. I'm not disagreeing with you about FSU having the easier schedule, but How'd Auburn lose? I think FSU could've beaten anyone in the SEC this year. I think they could've gone undefeated in the SEC. Think about it this way, everyone keeps saying the reason FSU struggled in the 1st half, because they "never faced a defense like this all year"(meaning, an SEC defense) well in that case, it only took FSU halftime to adjust to the "SEC speed" of the SEC's best teams defense. Imagine what FSU would've done to Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Well they "got up" for Auburn, rallied from 18 points down and won. Mind you they beat that cupcake Clemson in death valley as well.

Why didn't the dominant SEC get up for their bowl games?

LOL, how did Bob Stoops put up 40 against Nick Saban?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM

493 posts, read 644,415 times
such a fantastic game, the first half Malzahn was playing chess and fischer was playing tiddlywinks.

gotta give the seminole staff credit tho, they came out of the half and eventually cut thru all the shifting that aubie was doing on D and set up a gameplan where winston could complete short passes and let their stud receivers make plays.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Well FSU plays Notre Dame and Oklahoma State next year so if they run the table, people may have to start recognizing that they are back.

Scheduling is not as easy as people think. Teams drop out all of the time leaving administrators scrambling to find replacements. I would rather have a team in a tough conference; no sense of urgency when you whip up inferior talent for 5 months.

Good thing the Citadel is around. I had no clue they had a football team.
Good point, which is why the whole " FSU wouldn't have gone undefeated in the SEC" argument, a little more interesting.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM

293 posts, read 376,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Good point, which is why the whole " FSU wouldn't have gone undefeated in the SEC" argument, a little more interesting.
Florida thought they would whip Georgia Southern. That is until Georgia Southern came into the Swamp and won while not gaining any passing yardage. The mighty SEC loses to a FCS team.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Quote:
Well FSU plays Notre Dame and Oklahoma State next year so if they run the table, people may have to start recognizing that they are back.

Scheduling is not as easy as people think. Teams drop out all of the time leaving administrators scrambling to find replacements. I would rather have a team in a tough conference; no sense of urgency when you whip up inferior talent for 5 months.

Good thing the Citadel is around. I had no clue they had a football team.
Funny you should mention that. In their undefeated 2004 season, Auburn had scheduled Bowling Green. BG at the time was a top-25 team that would go 9-3 that year. But they bailed on Auburn, which forced them to scrounge for a sacrificial lamb in The Citadel.

Then, when BCS rankings came down to crunch time, Auburn was nosed out of the BCSCG by Oklahoma. Why? Because Auburn played The Citadel, so it hurt our SOS.

I'm not sure if the Pittsburg Steelers could have beaten USC that year, but I'm pretty sure that Auburn would have done a better job than the Sooners.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Florida thought they would whip Georgia Southern. That is until Georgia Southern came into the Swamp and won while not gaining any passing yardage. The mighty SEC loses to a FCS team.
I totally forgot about that SEC loss also. Wow, that was a bad one. It was a down year in the SEC honestly. The SEC seemed very beatable this year. The SEC did have a good run, a good string of wins. But I don't think any of these SEC teams who won in the last 7yrs, would beat any of the what I deem "Special" non-SEC teams who won before the SEC went on their streak. Those Non-SEC teams include 2004 USC, 2005 Texas, 2001 Miami, 2002 Ohio State. I think any of those 4 would beat any of the SEC teams that won the national championship in the last 7yrs.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,392,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It doesn't matter how cupcake the rest of the ACC is if beating it gets them a shot at the NC and they win. They won the NC that gets then respect.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM

293 posts, read 376,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Funny you should mention that. In their undefeated 2004 season, Auburn had scheduled Bowling Green. BG at the time was a top-25 team that would go 9-3 that year. But they bailed on Auburn, which forced them to scrounge for a sacrificial lamb in The Citadel.

Then, when BCS rankings came down to crunch time, Auburn was nosed out of the BCSCG by Oklahoma. Why? Because Auburn played The Citadel, so it hurt our SOS.

I'm not sure if the Pittsburg Steelers could have beaten USC that year, but I'm pretty sure that Auburn would have done a better job than the Sooners.
Good thing the BCS is going away since FSU plays the Citadel next year.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Quote:
Good thing the BCS is going away since FSU plays the Citadel next year.
Yep. But I'm a little skeptical of the Rube Goldberg, jury-rigged system they concoct to find four finalists, as opposed to just the two. Because some years it's easier to boil it down to two teams than suddenly expand the field to four worthies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football