U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,032 posts, read 26,876,260 times
Reputation: 16190

Advertisements

Seems another example of a weaker conference having to 'get up' for one game all season, playing a team who had to be up for almost half of them. FSU Talented...sure but not undefeated through an SEC schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
 
293 posts, read 376,779 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Seems another example of a weaker conference having to 'get up' for one game all season, playing a team who had to be up for almost half of them. FSU Talented...sure but not undefeated through an SEC schedule.
Well they "got up" for Auburn, rallied from 18 points down and won. Mind you they beat that cupcake Clemson in death valley as well.

Why didn't the dominant SEC get up for their bowl games?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
Reputation: 46028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Well they "got up" for Auburn, rallied from 18 points down and won. Mind you they beat that cupcake Clemson in death valley as well.

Why didn't the dominant SEC get up for their bowl games?

You know, even as an Auburn fan, I've always thought this SEC homerism is a little stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
 
293 posts, read 376,779 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, even as an Auburn fan, I've always thought this SEC homerism is a little stupid.
Auburn had one loss going into the game; they should have had three. Not something I bring up because they deserved to be there and almost won.

People act like FSU had no right to be there.

They beat Auburn so that is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Arizona!
667 posts, read 1,083,315 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do the FSU fans think that the Seminoles are the Atlanta Braves?

Harrier is listening on the radio, and every time they chant he imagines a bunch of tomahawk choppers.
Harrier thinks the Braves started the warchant? Zathras thinks Harrier needs a history lesson...

The Dispatch - Google News Archive Search

FSU started it in 1984, ironically in a game against Auburn!

The Braves and KC Chiefs had picked it up by the early 90's.


I will say that that was one of the most nervewracking and exciting games I've watched.
I honestly thought we'd dominate Auburn but they had a great game plan and execution. Hats off to a great job by their coaches. I'm just glad FSU was able to adjust and fight back. And that we had the ball last! (for all practical purposes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 13,364,135 times
Reputation: 10020
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm just saying, there were times where Big12 teams weren't even given a chance to compete in the national championship, just based on the SEC's reputation. I thought that wasn't fair. I thought Oklahoma State vs Bama, would've been a better game than LSU vs Bama re-match. And while dominated wasn't the right choice of words, Mizzou and Texas A&M HELD THEIR OWN in the SEC. Texas A&M beat Bama their 1st year, and then played em' close the 2nd year. For as much as people say the top teams in other conferences wouldn't hang in the SEC, alot of non-SEC teams have given the top SEC teams some close games, or have flat-out beaten them. The SEC had a great run, but I don't think they are leaps and bounds better than other conferences. Why should Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, or Tennessee feel any superior to anyone else, just because Nick Saban is a great coach.
Alabama played em close and then beat them the next year. Or just say they are 1-1. Dont color it positively for just one team just to try to make a point based on opinion. It is so lame.


Ill take 3 NCs out of the last 5 over any of what you are talking about.

You guys think one season or a couple of games erases the multi year run the SEC has had. Until another conference ties it or bests it or until a state goes four in a row its just talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,426 posts, read 6,397,352 times
Reputation: 3446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Thank you Jack. Hope the U bounces back next year. Golden is a great coach and breath of fresh air in Miami
Thanks Bane1976.

Hopefully they can learn from this past season and turn it around on this new one. Just like FSU and others, they're a young team with a young coach. They'll get their chance in the future .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
 
293 posts, read 376,779 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Thanks Bane1976.

Hopefully they can learn from this past season and turn it around on this new one. Just like FSU and others, they're a young team with a young coach. They'll get their chance in the future .
Good programs never stay down. Best of luck in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
Reputation: 46028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Auburn had one loss going into the game; they should have had three. Not something I bring up because they deserved to be there and almost won.

People act like FSU had no right to be there.

They beat Auburn so that is all that matters.
I don't know anyone sane who made this argument. I think the crux on the discussion was centered around whether or not FSU would blow Auburn out. Everybody looked at the gaudy scores FSU racked up as it curb stomped the ACC and thought it would do the same to Auburn. Personally, I hoped for an Auburn victory, but suspected that FSU would pull it out at the end. And it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 02:17 PM
 
293 posts, read 376,779 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't know anyone sane who made this argument. I think the crux on the discussion was centered around whether or not FSU would blow Auburn out. Everybody looked at the gaudy scores FSU racked up as it curb stomped the ACC and thought it would do the same to Auburn. Personally, I hoped for an Auburn victory, but suspected that FSU would pull it out at the end. And it did.
Well FSU plays Notre Dame and Oklahoma State next year so if they run the table, people may have to start recognizing that they are back.

Scheduling is not as easy as people think. Teams drop out all of the time leaving administrators scrambling to find replacements. I would rather have a team in a tough conference; no sense of urgency when you whip up inferior talent for 5 months.

Good thing the Citadel is around. I had no clue they had a football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top