U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,478,005 times

Advertisements

It's the rule because it's fundamental to the game - "dropping" it or any other error shouldn't be excused

A guy who accidently steps out of bounds shouldn't be whistled out because he wasn't really forced out of bounds

A QB who makes a bad read and throws it straight at a defender shouldn't be punished with that interception because it wasn't really forced - the ball just sailed on him

Holding onto the football is an important, basic aspect of the game - catching, running, holding onto the ball are all base aspects that are taught from the moment you start playing

Unforced errors occur in every sport and all have a penalty for them

A fumble isn't random - there is a lot that goes into it from all aspects, both when it happens, the recovery, etc ....... that is the same with pretty much any play

How many times have we seen a DB slip and fall leaving a WR wide open - should probably redo that as it was just luck that the DB slipped

Teams can mitigate their exposure to fumbles or really any other outcome by how they build their roster and run their plays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM

467 posts, read 459,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's the rule because it's fundamental to the game - "dropping" it or any other error shouldn't be excused

A guy who accidently steps out of bounds shouldn't be whistled out because he wasn't really forced out of bounds

A QB who makes a bad read and throws it straight at a defender shouldn't be punished with that interception because it wasn't really forced - the ball just sailed on him

Holding onto the football is an important, basic aspect of the game - catching, running, holding onto the ball are all base aspects that are taught from the moment you start playing

Unforced errors occur in every sport and all have a penalty for them

A fumble isn't random - there is a lot that goes into it from all aspects, both when it happens, the recovery, etc ....... that is the same with pretty much any play

How many times have we seen a DB slip and fall leaving a WR wide open - should probably redo that as it was just luck that the DB slipped

Teams can mitigate their exposure to fumbles or really any other outcome by how they build their roster and run their plays
lol, ok well in tennis you get 2 serves before you lose a point. Technicall you supposed to get the ball over the net every time if you want to win but the sport acknowledges sometimes the player won't.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,425,459 times
The only thing I dont like is the fumbles that happen when they stand the runner up in a scrum and some other dude pries the ball out. The refs should blow the whistle once forward progress is stopped but they dont always.

I guess backing them up 10-15 yards vs losing possession would suffice.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM

467 posts, read 459,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The only thing I dont like is the fumbles that happen when they stand the runner up in a scrum and some other dude pries the ball out. The refs should blow the whistle once forward progress is stopped but they dont always.

I guess backing them up 10-15 yards vs losing possession would suffice.

well that happened against Boyd in the Clemson-SC game and we were moving the ball on them getting close to a touchdown.

I think they should at least give a team two 2 loss fumbles before making it a turnover b/c you gonna put the ball on the ground sometimes in football. you can practice ball security all day but it still gonna happen

Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
lol, ok well in tennis you get 2 serves before you lose a point. Technicall you supposed to get the ball over the net every time if you want to win but the sport acknowledges sometimes the player won't.
Technically your not on the serve - which is why you can get multiple attempts depending on the circumstances of the serve

There is a definite penalty though for missing on your first serve as second serves frequently aren't the "ace" serve and allow for a better opportunity for your opponent

There was a statistical analysis from 2011 for mens tennis that showed that top 10 players won the point on 75% of their first serves on average - only 3 of the top 10 players were at 56% for second service winners ... so even amongst the elite there is a large drop off between their first and second serves so it's a large advantage for them to get that first one in and a clear punishment if they don't

Shoot, tennis as a sport keeps track of unforced errors as a stat

It's part of sports - good players don't beat themselves and those that can't get out of their own way shouldn't be rewarded by not being able to accomplish the basics

Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,145,051 times
While we are taking fumbles away, lets also take interceptions away. I really dont think it is fair for a game to change because one player makes a mistake. Also, i think it is time to stop making field goal kickers kick field goals. Instead, a team should just be awarded three points if they elect to not go for it on 4th down. The reason for that is sometimes kicks are missed or blocked and its dumb when that happens.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM

977 posts, read 1,634,528 times
Terrible idea. I say this as a fan of one of the most fumblingest teams in the country.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
While we are taking fumbles away, lets also take interceptions away. I really dont think it is fair for a game to change because one player makes a mistake. Also, i think it is time to stop making field goal kickers kick field goals. Instead, a team should just be awarded three points if they elect to not go for it on 4th down. The reason for that is sometimes kicks are missed or blocked and its dumb when that happens.
Teams should also get 3 or 4 redos whenever they miss a pass or a field goal.

You know what lets stop playing football and start playing sarcastaball.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM

293 posts, read 378,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Same goes with extra points. Score a touchdown and you get the extra point. No need to earn it through skill and execution.

How about taking away long touchdown runs. Obviously it's pure luck if someone breaks a long run.

No safeties as well. Teams should be given second chances.

This thread is asinine. I'm done.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
well that happened against Boyd in the Clemson-SC game and we were moving the ball on them getting close to a touchdown.

I think they should at least give a team two 2 loss fumbles before making it a turnover b/c you gonna put the ball on the ground sometimes in football. you can practice ball security all day but it still gonna happen
Sometimes guys drop passes - we should give each team 2 free drops a game because it's football and it's going to happen - just replay the down, right?

In 2009 Steve Slaton fumbled on 4% of his plays - that pretty much helped get him out of the league

LeSean McCoy fumbled once this year despite being involved in 362 touches as a runner/receiver ... he had a bad season in that regard last year and it hurt the team .... however, he's been really good for his career having 10 fumbles in 1,421 touches as a runner/receiver which is a bout 0.7% of the time

Why should he be punished for doing a good job at hanging onto the ball compared to a Reggie Bush that has 32 career fumbles on 1,616 combined touches which is essentially 2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football