U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 PM

293 posts, read 376,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I've been thinking more about this, and i think we should also elimimate incomplete passes when a defender deflects a pass. Football is more fun to watch when the game isnt stopped by a deflected pass. My proposal is this. If a defender deflects a pass, the ball will be spotted 5 yards ahead of where the deflection occured. The benefits are two fold. One, it takes away the unfair advantage an unskilled defensive player has to just hit a ball away from a receiver. I suck at football, but even i can stick my arm up and hit a ball. Two, more points.
Take away pass interference calls as well. Make it more like hockey. Just let defenders level anyone at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,099,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
redneck boy have you ever watched a game where the offensive player dropped it with no hit by the defense period? You clearly don't watch the game very much. buy a tv before you run your mouth.
This happened 2 days ago. Do you not watch much football?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Frankly I think that is a stupid idea ;they already gave a lot of advantage to offense I recent years. I mean I hate games where its just a matter of teams running up and down the field with no real defensive play.What do you want basketball scores?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,073,327 times
Hey Francis? How's the idea turning out for you?

For the rest of you, just a little history on Francis. First off, Francis is about the 4th or 5th handle he's had in just as many weeks. He keeps getting banned and coming back with new handles. Also, this whole idea started after his clempson boys lost to South Carolina after turning the ball over 5 times. His defense to the 5th STRAIGHT LOSS to their in-state rival was that fumbles were a stupid part of the game and should not be a part of the game. Nobody in our state forum would agree with him and he claimed it was because it was all USC fans. So I made the suggestion to him that if he wanted an unbiased opinion, he should come over to this forum and poll fans from all over the country.

So again I ask........How's it going Francis?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,171,344 times
Missed tackles should be eliminated. If someone misses a tackle his entire team shouldn't be penalized. The runner should be called down when someone tries to make a tackle.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM

293 posts, read 376,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop View Post
lol you must have got a 0 on the SAT b/c analogies are not your thing. A sign of a weak mind.

HOw about this, we keep the fumble turnovers but give the offense the ball on their 25 no matter where the fumble occured. It is already good enough they are getting the ball back for just being in the right place at the right time.
Welcome back Francis. Glad to see you have a life

Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 PM

40,935 posts, read 18,566,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
How many stupid rule change proposal threads are we gonna have?
Does this mean you aren't going to be open to my proposal to eliminate dropped passes and missed field goals?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
I think dropped passes should be eliminated too. So if the pass gets actually touches a receiver, then it should count as a reception. I mean the guy meant to catch the pass, right?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,499 times
Quote:
Nothing is worse than watching a game when one team basicallly wins b/c of fumbles by the other team. I don't see why an offense dropping the ball should be punished with a turnover given there are only so many possessions in a football game. In the CLemson SC game this year there were two fumbles on punt returns which basically gave the game to SC and the punt returner isn't even playing the majority of the game. There was another fumble by the QB of CLemson when he was ganged up on by 3 SC players with them hacking at his hands and he couldn't get down easily b/c another SC player was in front of him on the field.

I'd be ok with the fumble resulting from a sack on the quarterback but running backs and wide receivers are going to cough it up sometimes when they take hard hits. To me allowing this to be a turnover would be like allowing basketball players to get the ball back after they hack the player they are guarding to steal the ball away.
Sometimes, there just aren't enough "Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My A** Off" emoticons available
to respond with !?!?!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM

28 posts, read 47,284 times
Quote:
Nothing is worse than watching a game when one team basicallly wins b/c of fumbles by the other team. I don't see why an offense dropping the ball should be punished with a turnover given there are only so many possessions in a football game. In the CLemson SC game this year there were two fumbles on punt returns which basically gave the game to SC and the punt returner isn't even playing the majority of the game. There was another fumble by the QB of CLemson when he was ganged up on by 3 SC players with them hacking at his hands and he couldn't get down easily b/c another SC player was in front of him on the field.

I'd be ok with the fumble resulting from a sack on the quarterback but running backs and wide receivers are going to cough it up sometimes when they take hard hits. To me allowing this to be a turnover would be like allowing basketball players to get the ball back after they hack the player they are guarding to steal the ball away.

A Clemson fan calling someone else a redneck? That's rich

Clearly, Francis has never played football; he even admits to sucking at it. For those of us who have played and/or understand the game, here's my take.

I hate the idea of punishing a team who has a WR run the wrong route, and the QB accidently throw to the other team.....NOT. I played football; ball security is paramount. If you don't hold the ball high and tight, and you lose it, too bad for you. If we lost a fumble in a game, or in practice, we were to required to carry the ball for the next 24 hours, and we could not lose it. Other players throughout the school day would try and knock it away from us. If we lost our football, we were punished with gassers, additional up-downs, and ran the bleachers during the entire practice. Then, we had to do it again. In my times playing, I have only fumbled three times, and lost one. I understand that I don't play at the highest levels, but the concept is the same; value the football. I played running back and WR, and I have been rocked before. I played QB too, and I made a wrong read, and threw a pick-six. I have also had a QB run a 10-yard and in route, and the play was for him to run a 10-yards and out. I threw as he was about to break; he went the wrong way, and it was a pick-six. I have had some very good games at all the positions, and I have had some games to forget. Fumbling and interceptions are a big part of the game. If not, then what's the point of ball security? Why not lateral the ball on every play?

One of my fumbles came on the last play that I have ever played contact football; I was hit in the midsection and suffered severe internal bleeding, and had to have emergency surgery, and had to have three or four more in the months following (I was in the hospital for two and one-half months). I remember that I took the ball on a sweep, hit the outside corner, and ran for about 10 yards, before I spun on a defender, got past him, then cut to my left. I tried to spin off another guy, but I was grabbed from the right and a linebacker came straight at me, and lowered his helmet into my stomach. The pain was intense, and I dropped the football; I knew that I was hurt badly. I think I lost the fumble too. I had ruptured an organ, and was bleeding.

Last edited by littleavery1948; 08-03-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football