Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

In the BCS era I think it's between the '01 Hurricanes team and the '04 USC Trojans for the best team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Any team with Kellen Winslow, Sean Taylor and Antre Rolle on the practice squad gets my vote. Just get a load of this list:

Among the numerous stars on the 2001 Miami squad were: quarterback Ken Dorsey; running backs Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Frank Gore; tight end Jeremy Shockey; wide receiver Andre Johnson, and Kevin Beard; tackles Bryant McKinnie and Joaquin Gonzalez; defensive linemen Jerome McDougle, William Joseph, and Vince Wilfork; linebackers Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams; and defensive backs Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, and Phillip Buchanon. Additional contributors included future stars Kellen Winslow II, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Vernon Carey, and Rocky McIntosh.

In all, an extraordinary 17 players from the 2001 Miami football team were drafted in the first-round of the NFL Draft ....Overall, 38 members of the team would be selected in the NFL Draft. As of 2012, they had earned an astonishing 41 trips to the Pro Bowl: Ed Reed (9), Andre Johnson (6), Vince Wilfork (5), Frank Gore (4), Jeremy Shockey (4), Jonathan Vilma (3), Willis McGahee (2), Chris Myers (2), Clinton Portis (2), Antrel Rolle (2), Sean Taylor (2), Bryant McKinnie (1), and Kellen Winslow II (1).

2001 Miami Hurricanes football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
What does how many future NFL players have to do with how good a college team is? I already know the answer, it doesn't. Miami came very close to losing that season. 95 Nebraska would have ran them off of the field. Was Miami more talented? Probably. Better team? No.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-14-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Is the OP referring to just the Miami Hurricanes only ? His question is somewhat vague

Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
What does how many future NFL players have to do with how good a college team is? I already know the answer, it doesn't. Miami came very close to losing that season. 95 Nebraska would have ran them off of the field. Was Miami more talented? Probably. Better team? No.
I think you are missing the point... the debate is a fantasy. It cannot be answered with any real basis.

The number of NFL players is one of many barometers people can use to compare the teams. It's a baseline... A point of reference.

Of course it's not the end all... But it's better than arbitrarily saying one team would kill the other.

You can take any numbers or stats from either team to compare and it would be similar.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I think you are missing the point... the debate is a fantasy. It cannot be answered with any real basis.

The number of NFL players is one of many barometers people can use to compare the teams. It's a baseline... A point of reference.

Of course it's not the end all... But it's better than arbitrarily saying one team would kill the other.

You can take any numbers or stats from either team to compare and it would be similar.
Not really. The stats are on the Huskers side. The NFL holds no logic in debating teams at the collegiate level.

95 Huskers;
Out scored opponents 421-150. (Played 4 top ten teams iirc)
Averaged over 400 rushing yards per game (even though every single team knew they were going to run it)
Averaged 7 yards per rush attempt.
Averaged over 50 ppg. Allowed less than 15.
Defense had something like 30 sacks for negative 200 yards.

No one challenged them all year long. Things go a little different when Miami plays Va tech and Miami isn't even in the discussion of greatest teams ever. The Huskers had back to back undefeated national championship seasons. Maybe the 95 Huskers weren't the "best." They were certainly the most dominate college football team ever though. Can't argue that.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-14-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Not really. The stats are on the Huskers side. The NFL holds no logic in debating teams at the collegiate level.

95 Huskers;
Out scored opponents 421-150. (Played 4 top ten teams iirc)
Averaged over 400 rushing yards per game (even though every single team knew they were going to run it)
Averaged 7 yards per rush attempt.
Averaged over 50 ppg. Allowed less than 15.
Defense had something like 30 sacks for negative 200 yards.

No one challenged them all year long. Things go a little different when Miami plays Va tech and Miami isn't even in the discussion of greatest teams ever. The Huskers had back to back undefeated national championship seasons. Maybe the 95 Huskers weren't the "best." They were certainly the most dominate college football team ever though. Can't argue that.
You are so busy arguing on something that has no right or wrong that you missed the point of my statement... again.

When i said the numbers would be similar... I wasn't saying comparing any numbers or stats would be in Miami's favor... I was saying the NFL numbers are like (similar) comparing any numbers, regardless who it favors.

And technically comparing the stats of a team from 1995 to one in 2001 holds no logic either... But if it makes you feel better to "think" you win the argument.

Then you got it! *congrats*

Last edited by Mr. GE; 01-14-2014 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You are so busy arguing on something that has no right or wrong that you missed the point of my statement... again.

When i said the numbers would be similar... I wasn't saying comparing any numbers or stats would be in Miami's favor... I was saying the NFL numbers are like (similar) comparing any numbers, regardless who it favors.

And technically comparing the stats of a team from 1995 to one in 2001 holds no logic either... But if it makes you feel better to "think" you win the argument.

Then you got it! *congrats*
Gee, thanks buddy!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
It's the 95 Huskers. The 2001 Hurricanes was the greatest collection of individual talent ever to play college football. But the best TEAM was the 1995 Huskers. There's a difference. I think the Huskers were better coached and played better opponents as well. They blew everyone out including what I believe up until a few years ago, the best Florida Gator team ever.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's the 95 Huskers. The 2001 Hurricanes was the greatest collection of individual talent ever to play college football. But the best TEAM was the 1995 Huskers. There's a difference. I think the Huskers were better coached and played better opponents as well. They blew everyone out including what I believe up until a few years ago, the best Florida Gator team ever.
Yeah you are probably right. It's a fair point that their pro career doesn't equate to the best college team. Still that collection of talent at Miami is just so hard to ignore I had to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football