U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times

Advertisements

Nope...they should live like most other college students live. If they don't want to play college ball they don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I don't think they need a salary, maybe not even an allowance, but if a college athlete has to go home (cross country) for a funeral, sick parent or sibling, the school should be allowed to pay his/her traveling expenses.
I wouldn't disagree with this.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:01 PM

98 posts, read 78,291 times
I actually wrote a paper on this for my Journalism class. When you think about it. When the athletics are doing well, the school benefits. When U of Florida won both basketball and football titles, the school built( and updated) many buildings. Gee wonder where that money came from? the influx of kids trying to get into UF to be apart of the experience of winning and their parents strapped with tuition money. There was such a rise in the # of applications the school had to raise GPA and ACT/SAT requirements just to keep things under control. Called the Flutie Effect. Same thing happened to Florida Gulf Coast last year.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
I actually wrote a paper on this for my Journalism class. When you think about it. When the athletics are doing well, the school benefits. When U of Florida won both basketball and football titles, the school built( and updated) many buildings. Gee wonder where that money came from? the influx of kids trying to get into UF to be apart of the experience of winning and their parents strapped with tuition money. There was such a rise in the # of applications the school had to raise GPA and ACT/SAT requirements just to keep things under control. Called the Flutie Effect. Same thing happened to Florida Gulf Coast last year.
And yet the athletic departments don't pay their way. All you have to do is look at the schools who are actually making a profit and which ones have to rely on subsidies from the university. You don't have to go very far down the list to find name schools where athletics is a losing proposition.

USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE

And that's exactly my point. For every big-time program that makes lots of money, there are plenty more that are either break-even or losing propositions.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,879,146 times
Not a fan of paying players as they get room, board, tuition, books, tutors free already.

Now curbing the NCAA and many of their silly rules...YES!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 AM

462 posts, read 335,351 times
The belief that the athletes get anything "free" is absurd.

Yes, you can pay the players. If you can figure out how not to pay 'em, you can figure out how to pay 'em. All these smart folks on these college campuses and college boards, and you mean to tell me that no one can devise a plan to compensate college athletes? (they figured out how to pay everyone else associated with college athletics) Well, that would make anyone question the validity of our institutions of higher learning.

Another myth is that some how Title XI would prevent athletes from being paid. It doesn't.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
The belief that the athletes get anything "free" is absurd.

Yes, you can pay the players. If you can figure out how not to pay 'em, you can figure out how to pay 'em. All these smart folks on these college campuses and college boards, and you mean to tell me that no one can devise a plan to compensate college athletes? (they figured out how to pay everyone else associated with college athletics) Well, that would make anyone question the validity of our institutions of higher learning.

Another myth is that some how Title XI would prevent athletes from being paid. It doesn't.
Point taken. But you also don't seem to take into account how suddenly adding roughly 200-250 athletes to an athletic department's payroll would break most institutions. Even if you paid them a token $10,000 stipend, that's over two million added to the department's expenses. That doesn't even take into account other issues that almost immediately pop up such as workman's comp, etc. For once the door is open, anybody with an imagination can see how universities will start sweetening the pot for some five-star quarterback in terms of extra incentives. It will spiral out of control very quickly.

Sure, a university such as Texas or Alabama could afford that. But given that most athletic departments are a fiscal drain on their respective universities as it is, it creates an entirely new set of problems.

What's more, you kind of sloughed those concerns off with a "they figured out how to pay everyone else associated with college athletics" statement. But remember that colleges and universities are now coming under very serious scrutiny and are having to get their financial houses in order. In the era of cheap student loans, parents did not pay much attention to how much in subsidies schools were throwing at their athletic departments, essentially paid for by tuition checks and activities fees.

Now that we're seeing a more consumer-minded parent, those days are gone. I will have two kids in college next year, both of whom had good GPAs and standardized test scores way above average. And if my wife and I are sacrificing to send them to college without financial support from the institution, I'm not really keen on that same university stroking a check to an academically-challenged athlete just because he can catch a football. Sorry.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM

462 posts, read 335,351 times
Well, maybe your kids should have been good at something that granted them the opportunity to get paid by their universities.

Oh, and fear mongering about the process possibility spiraling out of control isn't a worthy reason not to pay the players.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:05 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,497,309 times
With all the money that is in college sports, they should at least get a stipend...

It should range from $500 to $15,000, depending on the size of the sports team.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 AM

88 posts, read 103,973 times
They are paid. They have a college education handed to them on a silver platter. Many of the top tier athletes receive an education from some of the most prestigious schools in the country. The Average Joe has to pay thousands to get that same education. Just because it is not cash does not mean they are not being paid to play. Go to classes get your education, and once an all to short athletic career is over, try to claim that you were not paid when you still have that education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or