U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM

229 posts, read 283,560 times

Advertisements

No, I don't think so. They have a lot of benefits as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,823,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You should learn more about the subject at hand before you start hurling out the insults. You are mistaken that Title IX would make it mandatory to pay every athlete the same or pay every athlete if one gets paid.

The text of Title IX that would apply here says:
[n]o person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
Nothing here prohibits paying some college athletes and not paying others. Also see Stanley v. University of Southern California, 13 F.3d 1313 (9th Cir. 1994). So you are wrong. I know you think you know everything but newsflash you don't.
Sorry, but you were the one who started it. While I stand corrected on the Title IX stuff, you really haven't come up with an argument about how the large majority of athletic departments are going to support a huge uptick in expenses, when only a small fraction of them are breaking even as it is. And even if Title IX allows some athletes from getting paid while others do not, I'm awfully sure there were will be a whole new set of cases to argue.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 PM

27,455 posts, read 15,859,572 times
Here's my issue with the NCAA. They don't want the students making money off their likeness, even a part-time job during the off-season yet we've seen player jerseys be sold nationwide. I'm sure you could find an official Johnny Manziel jersey out there and guess what, Manziel makes NOTHING from the proceeds of the sale. Up until this year, we have seen video games with player's likeness (though referred to as QB 7 in Manziel's case.)

I think there should be a stipend for players to cover costs not covered through their scholarships. What is wrong with that logic?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,193,769 times
Didn't read the thread but - they are paid. I think this is the wrong question. The question is, do athletic departments need to be reined in? There is too much money in 'college' athletics. It's become ridiculous and completely out of balance. Cheap and easy money always leads to corruption. That's the bloated pig ESPN and the networks produced dumping money at conferences for TV rights. End that the other question will take care of itself.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Didn't read the thread but - they are paid. I think this is the wrong question. The question is, do athletic departments need to be reined in? There is too much money in 'college' athletics. It's become ridiculous and completely out of balance. Cheap and easy money always leads to corruption. That's the bloated pig ESPN and the networks produced dumping money at conferences for TV rights. End that the other question will take care of itself.
They aren't though they are only paid scholarships which may include books but not all of the costs to go to school AND they cannot get a job if they aren't on scholarships. Proceeds from sports apparel of the colleges goto the schools and the NCAA. Even if it has a player's number they do not make money off of it.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,193,769 times
A full ride to university is getting paid. Full room, board, personal tutors, everything else. That's more than well paid for an amateur athlete who's there to get an education. Sports is an extracurricular activity and should be treated as such. My point is that this should never become an issue and Universities need to take back control of the athletic departments. It's past time to clean house.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
A full ride to university is getting paid. Full room, board, personal tutors, everything else. That's more than well paid for an amateur athlete who's there to get an education. Sports is an extracurricular activity and should be treated as such. My point is that this should never become an issue and Universities need to take back control of the athletic departments. It's past time to clean house.
And not every student even in FCB gets that. They might get full room and board but no book stipend, no ect. I know from my ex working equipment for a smaller state school NAU (they play in the Big Sky Conference.) I imagine even players in SEC teams don't have a full ride.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM

462 posts, read 336,240 times
Quote:
That's going be hard to do when one the highest paid employees at the school is either the head basketball or football coach.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM

50,885 posts, read 26,850,985 times
They deserve to be paid if they're in a revenue generating sport...pure and simple.

Sorry, but this ain't Knute Rockne and the Four Horsemen anymore. That played out with huge tv and endorsement deals. Nevermind the 100,000 seat stadiums and big time licensing deals.

This isn't an amateur sport anymore. No one is fooled by this amateurism argument in 2014. There is simply too much money involved to talk about giving student athletes the same deal they were getting back in 1950, or whatever yesteryear era you wanna bring up.

Besides, the horse has already left the barn. There will be some form of compensation above and beyond a scholarship.

The lame arguments about the indignities that you had to suffer just because you weren't a college athlete are irrelevant. Too bad. You had to tough it out because you had no talents that the school could use. You didn't deserve the breaks that an athlete gets in exchange for what he/she brings to a school.

But when you have a multi billion dollar pie to cut up, that's no secret to these media savvy athletes of today They want a slice, and they have a right to demand that slice.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 PM

50,885 posts, read 26,850,985 times
Quote:
Sorry, but to suggest that football at LSU or Oregon is an extracurricular activity is total nonsense. To suggest that hoops at Duke or Kentucky is an extracurricular activity is complete bull.

Those are an [i]intrinsic[/], money making part of those schools identities. Bama without football is just another college.

Take control of the athletic department? By whom...some science geek that works in college administration? Yeah...right.

Again, these aren't amateur sports any more. They have multi billion dollar tv and licensing deals now. Sorry but the words "amateur" and "multibillion" are mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or