U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 55,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I thought that game was awesome, by the way.

I was bummed when I saw the score at 21-7 or 28-7 at one point. I was bummin more when I saw Mizzou choking the night away. So much for Big 12 dominance.
What Big 12 dominance would that be???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM

14,548 posts, read 22,412,765 times
Well for a while there, you had Missouri at number 1 and had they won the Big 12 Championship the Big 12 would have represented the BCS pretty well this season.

Missouri
Kansas
Oklahoma

But the way it turned out, What Big 12 dominance indeed.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Default Bows #1

I had a dream that I a Gator was out of place in Hawaii. If the bows beat our whipping boy's who ran over us I would have no option but to say they were deserving of at least a share of the national title. We should have beat LSU and Auburn, but GA(Athens-the most fun ever 1994) something like 59 points for the Gators-the most ever in Athens and then the World Series at night. WOW, ran over us with Knowshon. If the Bows beat the best SEC team now they deserve a share of the title especially if LSU throttles OSU,which will happen. Aloha!!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM

23 posts, read 55,653 times
Default What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGator View Post
I had a dream that I a Gator was out of place in Hawaii. If the bows beat our whipping boy's who ran over us I would have no option but to say they were deserving of at least a share of the national title. We should have beat LSU and Auburn, but GA(Athens-the most fun ever 1994) something like 59 points for the Gators-the most ever in Athens and then the World Series at night. WOW, ran over us with Knowshon. If the Bows beat the best SEC team now they deserve a share of the title especially if LSU throttles OSU,which will happen. Aloha!!
I'm not even sure what this post is trying to accomplish. Aside from the grammatical nightmare, I've got to take issue with proclaiming the Bulldogs the best in the SEC. UGA never even played LSU head to head so to proclaim them the best in the SEC is ludicrous. I know it makes you feel better about your mediocre season to say that UGA is better than they really are but get over it man the gators lost to LSU and Auburn... should haves and almosts get you nowhere but the Capital One Bowl. And before you, as a gator fan, rag on UT since it's pretty obvious by my screen name I support them I have one question. Where were you at the SEC Championship Game? As far as Hawaii getting a share of the National Championship, I would only be ok with that if they beat UGA by more than 28 like they did a lot of those glorified DII teams that play in the WAC.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 AM

766 posts, read 2,269,645 times
As a practical matter, a potential split national championship scenario would only occur where the AP Poll clearly disagrees with the BCS rankings BEFORE the national championship game. This is what happened the last time that there was a split national championship, where the AP Poll had USC #1 after the regular season but the BCS rankings had them at #3. Then, when LSU and USC ended up winning their separate bowl games, the split national championship occurred since the AP Poll kept USC at #1.

What we have this year is Ohio State and LSU both being the consensus #1 and #2 teams in the country in both the BCS and AP Poll rankings. Even though they might be flawed teams, they are pretty much in the national championship game because they have fewer flaws than everyone else when looking at the entire season (i.e. USC had the single worst loss out of all of the contenders by losing at home to Stanford while Georgia didn't win its conference and got blown out by Tennessee, who was the loser to LSU in the SEC Championship Game). As a result, there will be very little motivation for the AP Poll and the BCS rankings to diverge regardless of the outcomes of the other bowl games. Hawaii has no chance to move up.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,430,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
As a practical matter, a potential split national championship scenario would only occur where the AP Poll clearly disagrees with the BCS rankings BEFORE the national championship game. This is what happened the last time that there was a split national championship, where the AP Poll had USC #1 after the regular season but the BCS rankings had them at #3. Then, when LSU and USC ended up winning their separate bowl games, the split national championship occurred since the AP Poll kept USC at #1.

What we have this year is Ohio State and LSU both being the consensus #1 and #2 teams in the country in both the BCS and AP Poll rankings. Even though they might be flawed teams, they are pretty much in the national championship game because they have fewer flaws than everyone else when looking at the entire season (i.e. USC had the single worst loss out of all of the contenders by losing at home to Stanford while Georgia didn't win its conference and got blown out by Tennessee, who was the loser to LSU in the SEC Championship Game). As a result, there will be very little motivation for the AP Poll and the BCS rankings to diverge regardless of the outcomes of the other bowl games. Hawaii has no chance to move up.

Thats probably the best explanation I've seen. The undefeated status coupled with a bowl win still doesn't overcome the consensus of the AP and BCS pairing LSU and OSU to play for the national championship.

First, I already know that Hawaii beating Georgia is very unlikely. But I just wondered if there was any remote chance of a split in ANY wild and unlikely scenario.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
And what do you call the game against Arkansas 2 weeks ago? I'd call that blowing it.

Really, I don't think LSU is undeserving at a shot at the national title. I just don't see them as any more deserving than Oklahoma and USC.

Could you imagine how excited fans would be right now if we were looking at LSU vs OSU and OU vs USC on a Saturday afternoon with the winners to meet for a REAL championship? I see revenues outproducing the AFC/NFC championsip/Superbowl weekends.
That my friend is what the powers that be are afraid of!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
Default A 13-0 Hawaii should be national champ

First. If Ohio State who didn't beat a ranked opponent can be in the championship this year, then why can't Hawaii be in it after beating one ranked team and going undefeated? Ohio State lost to Illinois, who by all consensus is ranked lower than Hawaii.

Second. GA at this time is probably better than both Ohio and LSU.

If Hawaii beats GA you will have an undefeated Hawaii team that has answered the question as to whether it can beat a highly ranked opponent.

If LSU beats Ohio, then, you will have two teams with two losses ranked one and two - not very impressive. I think it would be embarrassing for anyone to vote any two-time loser team ahead of an undefeated team that beat an excellent GA team that is arguably better than both Ohio and LSU.

If Ohio wins, their schedule is nearly as weak as Hawaii's and Ohio lost to a lower ranked team.

In either case Hawaii should be national champion if it beats GA.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM

766 posts, read 2,269,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
First. If Ohio State who didn't beat a ranked opponent can be in the championship this year, then why can't Hawaii be in it after beating one ranked team and going undefeated? Ohio State lost to Illinois, who by all consensus is ranked lower than Hawaii.

If Hawaii beats GA you will have an undefeated Hawaii team that has answered the question as to whether it can beat a highly ranked opponent.

If LSU beats Ohio, then, you will have two teams with two losses ranked one and two - not very impressive. I think it would be embarrassing for anyone to vote any two-time loser team ahead of an undefeated team that beat an excellent GA team that is arguably better than both Ohio and LSU.

If Ohio wins, their schedule is nearly as weak as Hawaii's and Ohio lost to a lower ranked team.

I'm the furthest thing from being a fan of Ohio State, but they are the only 1-loss team that WON a BCS conference. I might be a "Big Ten snob" in some people's eyes (I'm an Illinois fan), yet there is no comparing the depth of the Big Ten or any other BCS conference to the WAC. Even with a down year, the Big Ten is sending 2 teams to BCS bowls and will have 8 teams overall in bowls - it's not top-heavy, yet there's a lot of depth so there's never an easy conference game. Hawaii is a nice feel-good story, but the WAC had only one other team that was worthy of any type of bowl (Boise State). They needed a miracle at home to beat Washington, one of the worst teams in the Pac-10, so I don't think it's crazy to reserve judgment on whether their so-far perfect record means anything.

We can argue all day as to who might be the hottest team now (heck, Illinois hasn't lost since the 2nd week of October, which is the best streak out of anyone in the BCS conferences, yet a lot of people seem to be up in arms that they're in the Rose Bowl), but the fact of the matter is that Georgia got beaten handily by Tennessee. LSU then beat that same Tennessee team to win the SEC, which is Georgia's conference. LSU also blew out Virginia Tech, which is the ACC champion. Georgia made its own bed by having two losses and not winning its division (they lost the tiebreaker, so that's their own doing), much less its conference. If the SEC is as strong as everyone believes it is, then in the end, its conference champion should be in the championship game.

While this isn't a season with a clear top 2 like two years ago with Texas and USC, I believe that Ohio State and LSU are the two teams that had the fewest flaws on their resumes. That's basically what you have to go on this year. Georgia and USC might be hot, but they also had worse losses (the blowout at the hands of Tennessee and the shocker at home against Stanford, respectively) than the other top contenders. Their overall resumes (which I believe is what counts more than anything), in my opinion, are worse than those of Ohio State and LSU, even if it might be splitting hairs.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:12 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post

First, OSU beat WI, who are ranked higher than Boise State.

Second, while OSU and HI each beat one ranked team, OSUs overall strength of schedule was 66th compared to HI 119th (the easiest schedule in the country).

Finally, HI has beat NO ONE. Beating 24th ranked Boise State is not a quality win. They almost lost to WA, who is the whipping boy of the Pac 10.

Forunately none of this will matter after HI gets dismantled by GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or